Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-21-2008
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Systems interface - Nexus & Lowrance

I have an older Nexus 1000 instrumentation system on my boat and love it. I added a Comnav autopilot a few years back and it interfaces perfectly with the Nexus. (Comnav is now the go to place for the newer version of Nexus which is NX2). I upgraded my chart plotter this past summer with a Lowrance Globalmap 7200 which demands it's own GPS and works on the NMEA 2000 standard.

My question is do any of you have any experience with interfacing a Lowrance with older electronics that use the NMEA 0183 communications? If so can you help?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
The Lowrance 7200 also has TWO full NEMA 0183 in and out to send data to autopilots and DSC radios

What are you trying to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 12-22-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2008
Old Fart

Autopilot interface

The old Nexus 1000 monochrome chart plotter allowed me to "Go to waypoint" with the autopilot. The rest of the autopilot system functions allow me to "Hold a wind point", "Hold a heading" as well as "Power steer".

So I'm trying to get the new chart plotter to "Go to waypoint" as well as not loosing the other functions.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have a Lowrance 3500c and most things are the same as the 7200

You have to use the menus on the 7200 to enable the function of the com ports in,out,baud rate ect its on page 76 off the current manual , it is a pretty crappy manual

The Lowrance has a go to waypoint like any unit and i cant see any reason it would not supply data to a autopilot BUT how did the wind instrument interface with the old unit

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-22-2008
Old Fart

method of interface

Thanks, I think I can probably make it work. You're right the manual is very crappy.

All of the transducers feed into a central server that then feeds the instruments including the auto pilot. Before I added the new chart plotter I was using an external Garmin GPS. Now I suppose the Lowrance GPS will take over that function.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dwayne-

Don't forget to set the baud rate and data settings to 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit...or 4800, 8, N, 1 in geek speak.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2008
Old Fart

Thanks

Thanks a bunch! Now if it'd just warm up and stop snowing long enough for a test sail! Currently 15 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees.

Old 05-31-2009
Old Fart

Got it to work

I finally got a response from Lowrance on how to connect the GlobalMap to the Nexus system and it now works! The secret that I wouldn't never guessed was to use one of the NEMA output leads from the GlobalMap as the input to the Nexus NEMA port AND to connect the shield wire to the return post on the Nexus. As soon as I did that it fired up as it should have and the autopilot recognized that it had waypoint data to go to.

Old 05-31-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Glad you got it working! I have a nexus classic system (with server) that I just added a compass transducer to. I'll be interfacing a Garmin GPS unit this week and a wind transducer next week. I'll remember your post when I do that!

No auto pilot here though, so at least I don't need to worry about getting that to work.

How do you like your Nexus system? Which transducers do you have?
Old 06-02-2009
Old Fart

I have the full meal deal. Wind, depth, speed, and compass (45 degree) and even an old MultiCenter chart plotter which now is my backup for the new Lowrance. I also have the Multi XL and Wind readouts. I love the system overall and for the money I put in it, it has been a great investment.

If I can help with your installation please let me know (PM me if you like).