Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-23-2008

warmbeer is on a distinguished road
Does this lend any credence to the preference for bare wire over coated.

huh, I can't put a link in (not old enough I guess) so check out the following:
www dot ussailing dot org slash safety slash ISAF slash cat2mono dot htm and look at clause 3.14.6 a)

I have no idea if they inspect for and enforce this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2008
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Bingo, cheaper, lighter, no need for fittings, easier to install and replace.
As another user of Amsteel for lifelines for the past five years I can testify to it use. I love it and it is certainly easier to use as well as on the hands, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmbeer View Post
Does this lend any credence to the preference for bare wire over coated.

huh, I can't put a link in (not old enough I guess) so check out the following:
www dot ussailing dot org slash safety slash ISAF slash cat2mono dot htm and look at clause 3.14.6 a)

I have no idea if they inspect for and enforce this.
Warmbeer,

Welcome to Sailnet. When you hit 10 post you'll be able to embed links, photos, etc and use Private Messaging.

Here's your link: Category 2 - Monohull

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-23-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
spoken like a true Hunter owner
What the heck does THAT mean????

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-23-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Yes, uncoated stainless is now a requirement and the Cat1 and 2 races I’ve been in enforced this as well as the other equipment/safety requirements. Not complying means anything from being assigned additional time as a penalty or even being scored DNF. The boat had to pass a pretty rigorous inspection but the Cat2 races were on the honor system but not complying with the equipment rules is enforced through the protest route. Vinyl coatings are grandfathered in here in S.F. if they are original equipment to the boat. Paul Cayard’s Hula Girl was assigned a time penalty in this past year’s pacific Cup because some of his crew did not wear life vests at the finish line (I think that Paul reported his own infraction.)
Old 12-23-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
THANKS warmbeer - That's the exact input that I was looking for. I'll go with uncoated if I can get it at a reasonable thickness. I plan to race Annapolis-Newport in the future, so my decision is now easy. I was kind of leaning the uncoaed direction anyway... the rule tiped me over.

Thanks guys...
Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One problem not mentioned about coated lifelines is that they can't be inspected as thoroughly as non-coated bare stainless lifelines. The white pvc jacket can hide a multitude of sins.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2008
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Back when I had insurance, the company zinged my boat for yellowed lifeline jackets during the last survey. I ended up replacing the life lines. Then I replaced the insurance co.
Old 12-24-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Coated wire...I replaced mine this year and do every 8 years or so when I see the brown on them. All it takes is one small fray or burr on an uncoated bare lifeline wire to put a HUGE gash in a Jib when it catches the lifeline.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you inspect them regularly, that shouldn't be much of an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Coated wire...I replaced mine this year and do every 8 years or so when I see the brown on them. All it takes is one small fray or burr on an uncoated bare lifeline wire to put a HUGE gash in a Jib when it catches the lifeline.

Dave

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.