Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-06-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
SD and the group...

correction - with the correct PLB and battery (And yes they are "hazardous"), they will go 48 hours and can have the strobe...

One other thing, most epirbs float and auto-activate...the PLBs need to be turned on to activate, thus suggested to attach to your PFD...

other wise go with the Epirb

PLB coastal and nearer, when someone on the contact list you provide when registered, knows you, your boat and your plans.

Epirb anywhere else you go and especially if you don't leave plans with anyone, for sure if you are offshore or extended cruise.

dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Coljolys...the subscription thing is probably the SPOT locator which is really cool for family and friends to follow along...but nothing like a real EPIRB for safety.
I think you are smart to get an EPIRB for any offshore jumps and for the Bahamas.
Welcome aboard.
Hi all

Personal opinion only - not questioning anyone else's opinion.

Having personally talked with CG and SARs folks, for a run down the coast, I feel that for me a DSC VHF and a SPOT satellite messenger are by far our best option. ( SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE )

*** I am not in any way associated with the company ***

For the Bahamas for sure and "maybe" the Caribbean - it would still be my choice.

If we were crossing "the pond" I would want a boat twice our boat's size, sat phone, EPIRBs, sat internet, SSB and anything else I could find. Probably just cheaper to get a couple of first class tickets on United or some other carrier and go to the Med that way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Are PLB & spot the same thing?
Do all PLB's require a subscription?
Old 01-07-2009
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
SPOT is not a PLB, PLB's use the same SARSAT system that EPIRBs use and hence is worldwide.
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, PLBs are like EPIRBs in that they're free to use, but can only be used in an emergency. The Spot Messenger uses a different set of satellites, the GlobalStar satellite phone satellites IIRC, and not the SARSAT/COPSAS satellite network and has less coverage because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Are PLB & spot the same thing?
Do all PLB's require a subscription?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, who makes a PLB that goes 48 hours and has a strobe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
SD and the group...

correction - with the correct PLB and battery (And yes they are "hazardous"), they will go 48 hours and can have the strobe...

One other thing, most epirbs float and auto-activate...the PLBs need to be turned on to activate, thus suggested to attach to your PFD...

other wise go with the Epirb

PLB coastal and nearer, when someone on the contact list you provide when registered, knows you, your boat and your plans.

Epirb anywhere else you go and especially if you don't leave plans with anyone, for sure if you are offshore or extended cruise.

dave

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
ttt
Old 01-26-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Renting an EPIRB is a possible solution, but shipping it back from a foreign country can be an issue... A friend was trying to rent one for a delivery of a boat from Fairhaven to Halifax, and there was no reasonable way to ship it back to BoatUS from Canada due to customs and such. Also, the battery in an EPIRB is sometimes classified as hazardous materials.
That may be the case. However, I took an EPIRB from Washington Dulles through Copenhagen to Goteberg in 2006 with no issues. The MaxProp I was carrying was a problem, but the EPIRB was not.

I'd check with the folks at Puget Sound Inflatables ( life-raft.com ) about shipping.