Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-26-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
captainmidnight,
Like everyone else, I am looking for the best value when shopping for this. I don't have a specific price point yet as I am still looking around.

My stays are 6 months old. (There we go again, more money than the boat is worth ) I will make sure that the stay is toggled on both ends with whatever furler I install.
As a matter of interest, I paid a smidgeon under $600 for my FF6. I replaced the forestay, but only because it was very old and worn. You certainly won't want to replace a 6 month old stay if you can possibly avoid it, assuming that the toggle issue doesn't rear its ugly head.

It may also be worth noting that I replaced the stay and the furler with the mast up. It was really straightforward and I am not sure how possible this would be with eg an Alado.

Good hunting

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leither View Post
As a matter of interest, I paid a smidgeon under $600 for my FF6. I replaced the forestay, but only because it was very old and worn. You certainly won't want to replace a 6 month old stay if you can possibly avoid it, assuming that the toggle issue doesn't rear its ugly head.

It may also be worth noting that I replaced the stay and the furler with the mast up. It was really straightforward and I am not sure how possible this would be with eg an Alado.

Good hunting

Stuart

Okay, How about the rest of the rig? You stated "..it was very old and worn."
That caught my attention. Was the rest of the rigging replaced at a different time or does it look bad too?

BTW, If you have to add a toggle, and you want to use an existing forestay, it can easily be shortened with the use of a mechanical fitting.
Old 12-28-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Okay, How about the rest of the rig? You stated "..it was very old and worn."
That caught my attention. Was the rest of the rigging replaced at a different time or does it look bad too?
Interestingly, the rest of the rigging is fine - I have been over it thoroughly and can find nothing which suggest that there is a problem. I am pretty sure it is all the same age as the forestay. However, the previous furler had an aluminium foil which was in poor condition. In particular, it was kinked and the joints were beginning to spring. This seemed to have created wear points on the stay which were quite severe in places making it look "old and worn".

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?