Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-24-2008

perfecttempotim is on a distinguished road
oven without cooktop

We're looking for an oven for our cat. We already have a cooktop and there is no room under it for an oven, even if we were to replace the cooktop and get a combo stove/oven.
So far, we've considered a Dutch oven (cheap and simple: just put it on the stove) and a Dometic Origo 6100. The latter is a non-pressurized alcohol oven. It ain't cheap but it's the right size (20x22x13) and I'm happy with our Origo "space heater." The cook is concerned with how slow it might be. I know, I know, we're sailors and not supposed to be in a rush, but....
The specs for the Origo say: "Power alc./burner (BTU/hr/W) 5250/1500" Anyone know what that means and how it might compare to other ovens?
Our cooktop is propane powered and it would be fairly simple to hook up an oven ABOVE the stove. But we haven't found one--they're all combo stove/ovens. Any ideas or suggestions? I've already read the thread on the relative safety of alcohol vs. propane.
Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2008

scottyt is on a distinguished road
what the 5200 and 1500 means is it has the same out put as a 1500 watt electric heater, which is also 5200 btu an hour. i dont think it will be a microwave but once it is to temp it should do okay, just try not to open the door too much. look at it this way most camping propane stoves are 15000 btu or so per burner , so its 1/3 of a cook top

look at it this way too as long as the oven temp is 350 degrees it does not matter wither its 5000 or 50000 btu

edit the big thing is preheat time once up to temp cooking will be the same
Old 12-25-2008

meuritt is on a distinguished road
The dutch oven has a lot going for it, including portability if you want to go ashore to cook on a campfire. It seems there is a fad of rediscovery with the Dutch Ovens these days, I grew up with mom and grandma using them all the time and we have one aboard even though we have a propane oven under the two burners stove. There is a TV show that is entirely about dutch oven and campfire cooking, even with the experience growing up, it amazes me what he turns out, from biscuits and desserts to main courses, with three or four of various sizes placed around the fire.

One serious problem I've encountered with trying to use small RV/Boat ovens is their unreliable, uneven temp. Even the brand new one on the RV was off and difficult to get good results, so we didn't bother with them, even though we've baked bread in the oldest, pressurized kerosene stove/oven combo and the RV combo, made pizza aboard, not like we haven't tried. I've reduced the oven to little more than an auxiliary heater on really cold mornings.

One thing that does help is a piece of metal or ceramic tile that help absorb the heat and stabilize the temp. It also helps in deflecting the heat from the lower burner. W/o it, it is almost like cooking over a direct flame, the cookie burn in the middle row, over the flame, not done on the outside edges.

My own feeling is forget the oven, too much space for not enough benefit. But then, we removed the refrigerator for the same reasons, took up too much room, yet was too small to do any meaningful food storage.

Thread wander alert: also consider a pressure cooker aboard.