Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, they prefer you buy in bulk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Kudos to Sapperwhite, the application is not marine and in fact, magnetic screws would be a great plus. Turns out that I'll probably need a #12 because neither of those guys carries them metric and a #10 may be too thin to do it--I'll have to check very carefully.

Of course, even McM doesn't carry #12, they jump from #10 to 1/4x20. Choice of material? I'll be lucky to get "metal".

I like the way Fastenal quietly generates a list with single screws for a dime, listed line by line mixed in with "qty 35000, $1994.65" two thousand dollars worth of screws. Gotta be careful about that "ADD TO CART" button!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might try Grainger or Tacoma Screw products. Along with "White something or other" I can picture where there at near me, but not the second part of the name.

Also many local True values have SS screws of different types too.

Also not sure if HD or Lowes might, Not going to hold my breath on those.

Also local Grange stores if you're near any kind of farm community, or a non major branded hardware/lumber stores may have them too. I sometimes need these for work, not really hard to find, but not particularly easy either.

Good luck, and merry christmas

Marty
Old 12-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Have you tried your local hardware store, or even home depot/lowes etc..
If it's not marine you don't want stainless, stainless steel is not as strong as regular steel.
Old 12-25-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
chuckles-
My local Home Depots (three, each within five miles but across heavy traffic and all in different directions) the "fasteners" department is usually a special kind of hell, where nothing is racked properly and slightly less is kept in inventory. Metric was a draw in a flat cabinet--with everything misfiled. Self-tapping...I'm almost afraid to ask. But now that I have some grip on what sizes I might need OUTSIDE of metric, I'll take another look. Maybe.
My local hardware store downsized radically after the first local HD opened up, and is big on the odd plumbing parts, etc. for the building supers within walking range of his store.
There's one auto parts store that (last time I checked) had "fastener" bins under all the counters, tons and tons of 'em. Of course that's another 1/2 hour trip each way...at that point mail order becomes faster and cheaper--and more likely to succeed.

blj-
Thanks! If I measure them and need to go that large, I'll take up your generous offer. If I can get by with a 5mm part, or a 7/32 part, I'll try doing that, because frankly 6mm is too close to quarter inch--and that's just WAY too big for these holes. I hope. Length isn't critical, but an inch will already be excessive, 3/8 to 1/2" would really be right for the job.
What's "cheesehead" mean? (Besides a Packers' fan.)

Marty-
No Grange stores down here, one farm in the county and that's a special "exhibit" working farm, so to speak.
Old 12-25-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
A cheesehead screw has a round head that is rectangular in a cross-section view. They're available in either slot heads or phillips heads, they're called cheesehead because the head shape resembles a cheese wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Who sells self-tapping machine screws?-cheesehead.jpg