SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who sells self-tapping machine screws?

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  sww914 
#1 ·
Honest, there is such a thing. Actually several types, they are machine screws that are slightly tapered with one or more cuts at the tip, so they will self-tap and bite into sheet metal, and then snug down on a regular machine screw shaft.

I need a dozen 6mm (size) by 8-10mm (length) to replace some 4x.7mm machine screws that have stripped out. Don't really care if that's 6x.8 or any similar thread--I just need a fine thread self-tapping machine screw. Actually, a dozen of them, and the only supplier I found runs them off in lots of a thousand. (Ulp.)

#2 · (Edited)
Try these guys:

McMaster-Carr

or these guys:

Home | Fastenal

McMaster Carr has about everything, and if they don't have it they can get it for you. I use them all the time and they are one of my plants most used vendors. On the McMaster site, the search engine is in the upper left.

Edit:
Search McMasters for "tapping screws" and you see details of all the different drives types, head styles, and tip patterns. I think what you are looking for is there.

#4 · (Edited)
Sumb|tch!

You guys are right, BOTH of them carry them, although each has a new and different name for them. It's gonna wind up costing me $2 per screw (for the ones I need) and another BOX to stockpile....but they've GOT 'em.

Now of course comes the hard part, I'e got to finesse the micrometer into the two stripped out holes and figure out just how much screw I'll need to resecure them. And (stop laughing!) I'll need to convert these damned carpentry measurements into METRIC to compare versus what I have. Like, if a stripped 4mm hole needs a 5mm screw, and I can't order 1/5" screws....what, do I shoot for 7/32" ?? Which is called a "number what?" from the other guy?

Quickly, tie my hands, keep me away from the rivet gun.<G>

Thank you, gents. I've dealt with both of those guys--but didn't think to go look there. And the names they use....these screws have more euphemisms and names than I've ever seen for one damn simple part!

#8 ·
Screw/ Max diameter
#3/ .0990
#4/ .1120
#5/ .1250
#6 /.1380
#8/ .1640
#10/ .1900
#12/ .2160
1/4/ .2500
Continues in inch size

You can try sizing the hole with drill bits and then mic the bit.

#5 ·
What type of stainless are the screws you'll get at McMaster?
400 series stainless is magnetic. You'll want something in the 300 series, prefferedly 316 or at least 304. Lots of 440 and 303 around. ASK FIRST!

My local marine chandlery carries them. Not sure the price...

If you need to look further, try Jamestown Distributors.

#6 ·
Xort's point about what grade of stainless steel the screws are made of is a good one. 304 or 316 are far better than the martentistic 400 series grades, which will corrode in a salt water environ rather quickly. :) 300 series, austentitic stainless steels are non-magnetic.

That said, McMaster-Carr or Fastenal should be able to tell you what grade stainless they're using.

#9 ·
Kudos to Sapperwhite, the application is not marine and in fact, magnetic screws would be a great plus. Turns out that I'll probably need a #12 because neither of those guys carries them metric and a #10 may be too thin to do it--I'll have to check very carefully.

Of course, even McM doesn't carry #12, they jump from #10 to 1/4x20. Choice of material? I'll be lucky to get "metal".<G>

I like the way Fastenal quietly generates a list with single screws for a dime, listed line by line mixed in with "qty 35000, $1994.65" two thousand dollars worth of screws. Gotta be careful about that "ADD TO CART" button!

#11 ·
Yeah, they prefer you buy in bulk. :)
Kudos to Sapperwhite, the application is not marine and in fact, magnetic screws would be a great plus. Turns out that I'll probably need a #12 because neither of those guys carries them metric and a #10 may be too thin to do it--I'll have to check very carefully.

Of course, even McM doesn't carry #12, they jump from #10 to 1/4x20. Choice of material? I'll be lucky to get "metal".<g>

I like the way Fastenal quietly generates a list with single screws for a dime, listed line by line mixed in with "qty 35000, $1994.65" two thousand dollars worth of screws. Gotta be careful about that "ADD TO CART" button!
</g>

#12 ·
You might try Grainger or Tacoma Screw products. Along with "White something or other" I can picture where there at near me, but not the second part of the name.

Also many local True values have SS screws of different types too.

Also not sure if HD or Lowes might, Not going to hold my breath on those.

Also local Grange stores if you're near any kind of farm community, or a non major branded hardware/lumber stores may have them too. I sometimes need these for work, not really hard to find, but not particularly easy either.

Good luck, and merry christmas

Marty

#14 ·
chuckles-
My local Home Depots (three, each within five miles but across heavy traffic and all in different directions) the "fasteners" department is usually a special kind of hell, where nothing is racked properly and slightly less is kept in inventory. Metric was a draw in a flat cabinet--with everything misfiled. Self-tapping...I'm almost afraid to ask.<G> But now that I have some grip on what sizes I might need OUTSIDE of metric, I'll take another look. Maybe.<G>
My local hardware store downsized radically after the first local HD opened up, and is big on the odd plumbing parts, etc. for the building supers within walking range of his store.
There's one auto parts store that (last time I checked) had "fastener" bins under all the counters, tons and tons of 'em. Of course that's another 1/2 hour trip each way...at that point mail order becomes faster and cheaper--and more likely to succeed.<G>

blj-
Thanks! If I measure them and need to go that large, I'll take up your generous offer. If I can get by with a 5mm part, or a 7/32 part, I'll try doing that, because frankly 6mm is too close to quarter inch--and that's just WAY too big for these holes. I hope.<G> Length isn't critical, but an inch will already be excessive, 3/8 to 1/2" would really be right for the job.
What's "cheesehead" mean? (Besides a Packers' fan.<G>)

Marty-
No Grange stores down here, one farm in the county and that's a special "exhibit" working farm, so to speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.