SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need a jib sheet

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
I need a jib sheet for a 1983 27' cal. Lake sailing/day sailing only. What do you recommend, and where do you recommend I buy it?

Thanks,

Matt

#3 ·
Ummmmmm...that's a sail, not a sheet, modul8.

Matt, any decent double braid will work - StaSet is not bad. 7/16" would be a good size. If you go any smaller it can be hard on the hands. I order all my line from Layline, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere (particularly something as common as Sta Set). Google or Ebay will quickly locate it, I'm sure.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok. Now that I'm righteous.

Are all of these the same, except for color?

I can't get the link to work. Sailnet has funky URLs. If you would, copy and paste into your browser and see if these are all the same?

Thanks

http://shop.sailnet.com/index.php?category=Rigging|rigging.jpg&level=4&sub_category=7/16in.%20(11mm)%20%206,000lbs|sta-setsolidwhite.jpg

#10 ·
I need a jib sheet for a 1983 27' cal.
A jib sheet? One? Usually when it's time to replace one, it's time to replace the other.

Lake sailing/day sailing only. What do you recommend, and where do you recommend I buy it?
I agree with Jason: 7/16" Sta Set should do ya. Dunno where to tell you to get it. We bought ours, new jib sheets and mainsheet, last season, when they had bulk rope on sale at the local West Marine.

Jim

#14 ·
I use ONE BIG long line for my sheets. 3/8 for a 350# carbon in XLSX. way less stretch than sta-set. but about x3 for cost per foot. About x2 for strength per size IIRC too. So one can go a bit smaller in diam and weight.

Plus's and minus's to both. A larger diam is easier on the hands. Smaller diam is easier for the sail to catch zephyrs and lift when need be, due to the lighter wt of the line itself. Along with the higher tech will not hold as much water if rained on etc.

I choose to go the the higher tech line route, no complaints. But can see the Sta-Set route reasons too.

Marty

#16 ·
I use ONE BIG long line for my sheets.
What is the advantage to that? (I assme, then, that you have either a hanked-on foresail or a furler? We have a Tuff Luff system, so a single line would be disadvantageous.)

Plus's and minus's to both. A larger diam is easier on the hands. Smaller diam is easier for the sail to catch zephyrs and lift when need be, due to the lighter wt of the line itself.
I had noticed our boat came with two sets of lines for jib sheets, and kind of wondered why they were different diameters. Then it occured to me the smaller-diameter line was probably for use with the light #1.

I choose to go the the higher tech line route, no complaints.
Some are of the opinion that for just cruising and putzing-around, a line with some stretch is advantageous--as a "shock absorber."

I'd like to go with Sta Set X for the main halyard. The Admiral is balking at the additional expense. Local WM guy is telling us that for just club racing, regular old Sta Set is sufficient. (He's probably right.)

Jim

#19 ·
The 'Grammar Police" agree with SemiJim. There are jib sheets (as there is one to the port and another on the starboard side - also known as a windward sheet and a lazy sheet depending on point of sail) but there is usually only 1 main sheet as the same sheet works for all points of sail.
Interestingly, new sailors often make the obvious association that a 'sheet' should mean a piece of fabric like the material that covers a bed or a sail but are usually disabused of this notion by some know-it-all skipper who will usually be yelling.
Jib sheets require a lot of handling which is why many people prefer them in larger diameters which are easier on the hands. Sailing gloves or bike riding gloves can help a crew minimize blisters and chafing of the hands from working the sheets.
A spinnaker sail has a sheet as well as a guy which is way confusing and beyond the OP.

#20 ·
Jim,

I club race, but do like to get as close to every ounce speed out of my rig I can, so I went with the XLSx before I really started to race. More because there were more choices of colors to the spouses preference! Maybe take her in to choose the colors!

I use one long sheet tied off in the middle. I did have hanks until mic Oct when the new carbon 155 came in. Then I went with a Carbo foil.

I have thought about the idea of cutting my sheets in half, and tieing them on seperatly. But reality is, I have a sheet for the 155, and the 110, along with a sheet for the AS, and a Guy sheet if I want to tie a pole to the tack, which can be helpfull in light wind conditions.

Yeah, it is a bunch of money in line/rope, but a lot easier to figure out what goes with what, all color coded etc.

marty

#21 ·
I changed from Sta-Set to Regatta Braid. Sta-Set was kinking on me and would get caught. It was a real PITA. The Regatta braid has been great. I can't believe how fast it comes off the winch when tacking, even in light air. I've heard that Andersen self tailing winches don't like it very much, so if you have self tailing winches you might check for compatibility.

I also use one long line for my jib sheets. I had 2 lines with the Sta-Set and found that the bowline would hang on the shrouds in light air. The small knot right at the clew with a single line never gets hung up.

#22 ·
I have a stupid question. Why is everyone using low-stretch line for Jib sheets? When I needed new ones, I went with Regatta Braid. If I want the sail sheeted in tighter, I simply take in more line. I certainly see the advantage to having low stretch halyards as you are only adjusting them (if at all) a couple of times during a day-sail. But the sheets are constantly being adjusted so what is gained by using a low stretch line? One could argue that it would be preferable to use a stretchy line to spill gusts ....

thank you

#23 ·
Why bother adjusting your sheets if all they're going to do is stretch anyway?

Only thing that should stetch is dock lines, and anchor rode. Nothing else. Smaller high tech lines will kink/hockle less and won't absorb as much water as the fuzzy daysailing lines. They are hard on the hands, some require to be scuffed up a bit to grip a winch, but to me, they were worth it.

#24 ·
dgr,

If your lines stretch, you have also potentially lost power to the sails, and speed, hence why one would want to use a less stretchy line for sheets, along with halyards. Not to mention the sail cloth itself, hence why racers use carbon and kevlar with mylar too in sails vs dacron these days. Many cruisers are using this higher tech, less stretchy material, so they do not have to spend a lot of time readjusting things for stretch, along with getting more out of the boat for a given weather conditon too.

Some of this stretch could cause more heeling without adjusting thing constantly too, as you will not have the sails at the proper setting for any length of time.

Many reasons to go with less stretchy lines and cloths. It comes down to how much you want to spend, how much improvement you want etc. Plus's and minus's to both!

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.