SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

858K views 2K replies 341 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
In this forum, we've seen big projects on small boats and small projects on big boats- let's see the cheap projects! Show us what you have done on your boat on a budget.
Here's the rules:

1) Gotta be under $100 US, or equivalent currency.

2) You must have done it yourself. Although, if you found someone to work on your boat for less than $100, feel free to post contact info.

3) bonus points will be given for elegance and ingenuity.

Here's one of mine:

I needed a cockpit table. Well, I, personally, didn't need a cockpit table, but the admiral did, and I need a warm place to sleep, so you can see how the stars aligned on this one. I sussed out commercially available, marine priced cockpit tables and promptly gagged. So, I thought to myself, "self, you could make it yourself for a lot less." One problem. Well, four actually. I have limited woodworking skills, limited woodworking tools, and limited time. oh yeah, and I am cheap.
So, I went to plan "c".

I spent some time eyeballing the cockpit in question:

Then I moseyed into action. I bought one of these for $29.99

A frenzy of measuring, remeasuring, cutting, screwing, drinking, varnishing, etc. later, and this is how it finished up:

Let's see yours.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm pretty sure that my bridgedeck cost less than $100 in materials. I can't say exactly how much the materials were since the epoxy, fiberglass, and plywood were bought for several different projects, as was the paint, masking tape and other materials used.

The total material were about 1/2 a sheet of 3/4" plywood; enough epoxy and fiberglass to coat said plywood and tie it into the cockpit—approximately four layers on top and three underneath; enough thickened epoxy to fillet the joints and to bed the top section of the bridgedeck; and paint—two coats plus two coats for non-skid.

Oh, yeah, had to buy a new deck fill for the fresh water tank, but that wasn't technically part of the new bridgedeck project IMHO... just ended up on the new bridgedeck. :)

#5 · (Edited)
AT—

I've posted plenty of photos of the damn bridgedeck...don't see a need to do it again. :)

BTW, there's a serious problem with that cockpit table.... can't really use it underway, since it goes through the spokes of the wheel... how the hell do you turn the wheel if the table is in place??? So, in my book, he loses major points for that. :)

#7 ·
AT-

I've posted plenty of photos of the damn bridgedeck...don't see a need to do it again. :)

BTW, there's a serious problem with that cockpit table.... can't really use it underway, since it goes through the spokes of the wheel... how the hell do you turn the wheel if the table is in place??? So, in my book, he loses major points for that. :)
ah, SD, here is where the elegance kicks in- notice that the table is reversible. it can be mounted ahead of the pedestal when underway, and aft of the pedestal when moored. and, unlike typical cockpit tables, the slatted design allows for stemmed wineglasses to be hung between the slats, thereby lessening the possibility of spilled wine.

#9 ·
screen cockpit enclosure

Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

#29 ·
That is really nice. A canvas shop would charge you your first born for a full cockpit enclosure that does the same thing. Excellent solution.

Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

#10 ·
new thruhulls or hoses or things of that sort - lots of them, done on my own of course. LED lights too - I made them myself out of regular light fixtures and LED boards.

not much else though - pretty much any marine item costs more than $100 :) Like that table - I'd have to make it out of teak and just teak alone is probably right up there in price.

#11 ·
Brak-

The key to keeping the cost of a marine project low is to scrounge the parts and materials. :)

Reactions: macwester26
#15 · (Edited)
Some people just use their boarding lader from the water but mine is also used from the ground when on the trailer.

Cost was the price of a 1"X 6"X 5' piece of oak the rest was on hand.

What a difference they makes getting out of the water bare foot.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/Tmebandt/Easyonthefeet.jpg<A href="[/IMG]http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/Tmebandt/Easyonthefeet.jpg"" alt="Photobucket" border="0">

#16 ·
Cheap storage for those small propane bottles that you don't know how to store. I went to Home Depot and bought a three-foot piece of #10 PVC pipe the right diameter to hold the bottles, a glue on (I know it's called weld) bottom cap and an adapter and screw on top. Put it all together, drilled several holes in the bottom and attached the rig to one of the slanted legs of the stern pulpit with a couple of hose clamps. It's lasted for about 10-years now and shows no sign of wear.

#18 ·
Low buck

I bought a Solar powered floating pool light for $6.99 at Big Lots. I hung it on our split backstay. It turns on and off by itself. It is great when there are several boats with anchor lights on at night- it makes ours stand out. That way we don't take the dinghy to the wrong boat. It also makes great mood lighting in the cockpit. I cant believe how many people have asked if we got it at West Marine

Attachments

#20 ·
The PO didn't have a permanent location for a fixed VHF on my Helms 25. I wanted the radio close to the mast location to keep the coax short for low line loss. I also needed some additional circuits for spreader lights and steaming/foredeck lighting I was adding. Here is what I came up with that was out of the way, can be seen from the cockpit and allows a remote mike in the cockpit

#22 ·
Ah ha!

Just the thing I need.

I see a new project for next year.;)

Thanks

The PO didn't have a permanent location for a fixed VHF on my Helms 25. I wanted the radio close to the mast location to keep the coax short for low line loss. I also needed some additional circuits for spreader lights and steaming/foredeck lighting I was adding. Here is what I came up with that was out of the way, can be seen from the cockpit and allows a remote mike in the cockpit

#21 ·
I had my US 25 home two winters ago for a bottom job and a poormans refit. I can't find one picture. :I did make new windows. New cabin sole, painted the interior etc... None of that was cheap. Ahh but I did find new cabin lighting at the R.V. store real cheap, about $15 each. I was however proud of my mizerliness when it came to the setup. I bought a bunch of 14' 2x8's and built a platform on top of the trailer. Thats where I bolted the Cosco car-port. I was working in my boat with just a sweatshirt in february.I also had two strings of lights up and ofcourse musac.The 2x8's were reused in the summer for a new deck, the carport after I freed it blew across the yard jumped the fence and killed itself.Oh well. BTW the platform was awsome, I was able to sand the entire bottom, keel and all fairly compfortably. I hooked my sander up to a shopvac and didn't even need glasses, just a mask.

#24 ·
Low Buck

This is my Nav Station. It used to be a shelf with everything hanging or sitting on the shelf. It cost me less then $100 to make it a lot nicer. It is easily removeable to gain access to the buss bars I installed behind it. I made it by first making patterns (the underside of the deck here has multiple camber). I scrounged around for enough 1/2" marine plywood. I then applied black formica (from Lowe's). By reusing the existing Mahagony fiddle rail i was able to make matching trim for the corner. The panel does not extend the entire lenght of the shelf I left a 12" space on the aft end. In this area I installed 2- 12volt outlets ,for a charging station. As well as mounting for my Wham mic charging/storage cradle. My Garmin 545 is able to be used at the nav station or in the seperate cradle in the cockpit. Both locations for the GPS are fully interfaced - NMEA for the VHF,autopilot. Audio out for the XM radio to the stereo. The GPS uses the internal antenna on deck and the remote antenna down below. Sorry for the lousy cellphone pics!

Attachments

#25 ·
Figured I would add a couple more, or "What I did over the Christmas holiday."
I used up the rest of the table I sacrificed for the project that started this thread, and built a hinged double sided chartboard:

It's sized to fit standard charts folded in quarters. Course can be laid out on the clear cover with grease pencil. Next step is to build a pair of hinged stowable knees in the cabin of my boat to create a small-space nav station.
Currently in progress- a triple jointed gooseneck mount for my chartplotter:
It's still a little rough around the edges, but overall I am happy with the concept

#26 ·
GREAT projects!! Does hanging caps and underwear over port holes count as a cheap solution to boat curtains? I'm also using a $15 timer switch to turn our propane gas solenoid on and off. Never need to worry about turning off the gas after cooking.

Cheers.

#27 ·
GREAT projects!! Does hanging underwear over port holes count as a cheap solution to boat curtains?
If it's used and yours, no. If it is someone else's, as long as you didn't spend more than a hundred bucks on drinks in a boat bar to get them to hang in front of the ports, then it qualifies.

#28 ·
Stern radar mount

Hi all.

Here is one of my many current DIY projects. We will be putting our radar on a pole off the stern. I needed:

• an adjustable (horizontally) platform for the radar 1/4 aluminum
  • a pole (about 8 feet long - thick walled aluminum 2 inch)
  • and a base to connect to the boat

The pole will be additionally supported by connecting it to the stern rail in three places (so , don't worry about that part.

Here is a picture of the radar platform that will go on top of the pole.

Total cost was $36.00 for the pole and the piece of 1/4 inch flat stock aluminum and about $20.00 for the bottle wine I gave the guy who cut, drilled and welded it. Hey - what are friends for, right?

Cheers

#52 ·
You'd be better off rounding and smoothing those edges or you're going to go through a lot of rope really fast... the sharp corners will eat line for breakfast, especially on the jam cleat part.