Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree716Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Nice enough battery box, but a week-long cruise in the North channel on a 16 ft boat in a week?! I am not worthy.

Last edited by Ritchard; 05-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

Added a fuse and fastened down the lid. All done now.

Old 05-13-2014

Raymond07 is on a distinguished road

I'm attending to a small job today, to replace the cabin fluoro light which has stopped working. It's not worth my time to analyse why it doesn't work - it could be wiring, a blown tube, any number of things, but really I don't want a fluorescent fitting in the boat, for a couple of reasons.

I figured I'd try replacing it with an LED fitting. The fittings available off the shelf look incredibly daggy, so I've bought one roll 5050 led strip, which is a thin, narrow flexible strip with a self-adhesive backing. I am intending to mount it on the fwd face of a deck beam, out of the way of everything and no fluoro fitting to bang my head on. The strip can be cut down to any length if there is too much light coming from it.

The first job is to test the wiring while the old fitting is in place, then remove the old fitting and test the LED strip, and nominate a new location for it. First job, test the wiring. Switch on the master switch, and test that power is on in the boat. Yep, the bilge pump makes its noise just fine. witch the power to the old light, via the main switch panel. Switch the old light on, just in case, and yes, now that I have the LED strip sitting in the cabin with me, the old fitting lights up like new.
Old 05-13-2014
No more curry buffets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond07 View Post
I'm attending to a small job today, to replace the cabin fluoro light which has stopped working. It's not worth my time to analyse why it doesn't work - it could be wiring, a blown tube, any number of things, but really I don't want a fluorescent fitting in the boat, for a couple of reasons.

I figured I'd try replacing it with an LED fitting. The fittings available off the shelf look incredibly daggy, so I've bought one roll 5050 led strip, which is a thin, narrow flexible strip with a self-adhesive backing. I am intending to mount it on the fwd face of a deck beam, out of the way of everything and no fluoro fitting to bang my head on. The strip can be cut down to any length if there is too much light coming from it.

The first job is to test the wiring while the old fitting is in place, then remove the old fitting and test the LED strip, and nominate a new location for it. First job, test the wiring. Switch on the master switch, and test that power is on in the boat. Yep, the bilge pump makes its noise just fine. witch the power to the old light, via the main switch panel. Switch the old light on, just in case, and yes, now that I have the LED strip sitting in the cabin with me, the old fitting lights up like new.
I'v used some of that LED strip lighting, it works great. It's more for accent light than task light, as there's not enough intensity for tasks. Pay attention to polarity - the strips will not work if wired backward.

Incidentally, I liked that strip lighting so much on the boat that I am replacing the old under-cabinet fluorescents in my kitchen with the same stuff. Much nicer light, and you could basically leave it on all the time as it uses next to no no electricity.

You can buy the stuff astonishingly cheaply on eBay. There are guys in China that will sell the stuff for peanuts, often with free shipping. I just pick someone with good feedback ratings and go for it.
Old 05-14-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post

You can buy the stuff astonishingly cheaply on eBay. There are guys in China that will sell the stuff for peanuts, often with free shipping. I just pick someone with good feedback ratings and go for it.
Lee Valley Tools has some nice channels with diffusers that are inexpensive.

LED Channels and Diffusers - Lee Valley Tools

They are local to us in Toronto so you can actually touch and feel before buying. And Lee Valley is not known for sourcing crap.
jimgo and Delta-T like this.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON
The Following User Says Thank You to i_amcdn For This Useful Post:
Delta-T (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I'v used some of that LED strip lighting, it works great. It's more for accent light than task light, as there's not enough intensity for tasks. .
I find the strip lighting ideal for task lighting:

I got my diffusers and LEDs from Amazon:Galley lighting
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 05-14-2014
No more curry buffets

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
Lee Valley Tools has some nice channels with diffusers that are inexpensive.

LED Channels and Diffusers - Lee Valley Tools

They are local to us in Toronto so you can actually touch and feel before buying. And Lee Valley is not known for sourcing crap.
Wow, those Lee Valley diffusers are gorgeous.
Old 05-26-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My boat doesn't have a gimbal for the stove. I wanted a very basic one that could be used to make coffee (or other hot water based items) under way. I had a Jetboil that I use for camping that was sell contained, efficient, and fast, so I decided to make a gimbal for it.

There is a quick video showing the range of motion here:
http://1drv.ms/1ikmPFe

It is all made of stainless steel. I used stainless pipe cut into 1" sections for the two rings, stainless 1/8" rod to make the basket that supports the stove, and stainless hardware that bolts it all together. All of it is 316 except for the larger pipe which I could only get in 304.

It is pretty crudely made mostly with a hand drill. I did braze the basket that holds the stove together.

The Jetboil has very little waste heat, so the items nearby are safe. This location lets me keep an eye on the stove while sailing the boat. It pops off for storage in a couple of minutes using the two quick release clamps.

I still have to polish up some of the stainless and trim off the excess starboard that was used to make the mount.
bljones, Group9 and fred1diver like this.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-26-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2014
No more curry buffets

When you want your damned coffee right now!
Old 05-26-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

But..but..how do you get the winch handle out without burning your hand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.