Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree783Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
Nav-6000 back light repair

Another cheap project was to repair the back light on the NAV-6000 GPS that I have. I can use the C_Map chips that I also use in the Ray color chart plotter at the nav table. The issue with the NAV-6000 is their EL back light panels die. I found EL panels on Ebay from Hong Kong for around $7 each, bought 2 and started by cutting the panel to size, taping the cut edge, taping to the clear plastic light diffuser and sliding under the LCD display. The edge connectors were soldered to fine wires and I had to make a slide in flex connector out of copper foil and mylar to fit the PCB connector. And then the acid test... Turned on the GPS and hit the back light button....
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-gps1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-gps2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-bouy-c1-channel-keywest2.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap rol - that's impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-03-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

Recessed engine panel

The Cal 9.2 original PO had the Universal replaced with a Yanmar 2GM20. The Yanmar engine panel was smaller than the Universal so they had made an adapter out of teak that placed the panel about 1 1/2" into the cockpit where it was constantly being kicked. I made a Starboard panel , added voltage meters for both the batteries banks (only work when the engine key is on) and recessed it so the electrical panel inside would still clear. Just used a table saw, router and drill for project..
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-inst_panel.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-03-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

new custom holding tank

I've done many of the low buck dumpster diving projects...
Another problem with the Cal 9.2 is that the holding tank was a VETUS bladder under the V berth. This issues, smell, odor, stench, and low volume..
I designed a custom tank to go behind the head for the shortest lines possible. I looked for Poly tanks, but could not find one that would fit as desired, so I designed one on CAD, did a mock up with the paper backed foam board and packing tape, then taped heavy poly plastic to it and started adding layers of glass and resin, 10 layers total. ( 3/8" thick)The top access hole was cut and the insides were stripped out and the insides finished. The insides were sanded and then epoxied with a smooooth coat and fillets in all corners. ( easy cleaning) I installed with the heavy vinyl hose and redid the woodwork. I was selective on Ebay for the epoxy and cloth always looking for the best price/ deal. The plywood was from the stove slide out shelf project. A couple of pics from verifying fit and finished installation. I had to extend the woodwork outward slightly to pad the tank, an after thought...... ps, over 3 yrs since installation, no odor issues, works great, improved the wife approval factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-holdingtank.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-holding2.jpg  
othomas3 likes this.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-03-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

One mans trash is another's treasure,,, I was looking for a boarding ladder for years and preferred a permanent mounted transom ladder. The Cal 9.2 has the reverse transom, so finding a transom ladder with the appropriate bend to clear the lifeline and fold for proper water placement took awhile. It took about 6 yrs of searching to do it for the cheap(under $70 delivered). New ones were over $400 and custom built ones were quoted over $800, I love going to the Annapolis boat show each fall, but the prices are scarry.... By luck I found one listed on that EBay, again, and the lister was willing to take pics with a yard stick so I could do a check with autocad to see if it would work. Perfect it is not, I would have preferred one more stem in the water, but is works as a recovery ladder and a swim ladder. I was told a story of a sailer that fell overboard and managed to grab a sheet, but was unable to pull himself back onboard. I single hand, thus the ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-tladder.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-03-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

I had a Raymarine ST 60 system but the old instruments installed were Datamarine from the late 70's. The speed puck transducer for the Raymarine system is a Hall effect with 0-12 volt output. The output from the Datamarine was a low level signal. I contacted Raymarine for assistance and all they could tell me is that their instrument required the 0 to 12 volt signal. I called the DMI repair facility and he was less than cooperative, did not want to give any repair secrets way. The PCB that I had designed and had fabricated did not work at all. I took the datamarine speed display apart and traced the circuit board and tried another version of interface circuit. I used it and modified the circuit and it worked. The custom boards were about $75 and took a week to get, nice service available. I've redesigned the PCB's should I ever need to replace the prototype currently installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-dmi_ray2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-st60flush.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-03-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Roline,

You are one creative, talented individual!! And some of the other projects here have really been inspiring!! They certainly have me thinking...

I've heard a term for this once..... "Imagineering"

What a great thread!

It would be awesome if our elected leaders were this Thrifty....we'd all save a ton of money!....but that's another issue....
Old 01-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
This is a killer thread with some killer ideas. And Roline seems to be the king of thrifty thus far. Until I can craft a completely hull out of Silly Putty and Elmers Glue - I'm in awe.

Old 01-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
smack, you are right- the cotton kudzu appears to be slowly enveloping my pedestal. I might need to start a foundation to prevent the spread of cotton kudzu. The only cure is cash. Give generously.

hey, this could work.
Old 01-03-2010
Last Man Standing

That's right BL...

The Pedestal Kotton Kudzu Prevention Continuum. PKKPC NGO.

Please...give generously.

Oh....my routing number is 1022257833.

Sincerely,

Some King's Son in Nigeria