Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree810Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Thanks

I have been happy with it - you could make it a different size if you want.

I store the table aft on port with the fenders - see the background of the picture - the table top goes to the hull to keep it clean, some of the fenders usually end up going against the bottom of the table when the table is stored

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2014
I make sawdust

thereefgeek is on a distinguished road

Outboard engine stand. Basically free since I already had the 2X4's and wood screws. Built from a set of plans downloaded off the inter webs, and it has a spot to put your gas can, and you can park a rubbermaid tub full of water under the lower end for a test run.

test run from Ramble On on Vimeo.

1977 Tayana 37 Hull #91
Ramble On

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thereefgeek; 08-13-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2014
I make sawdust

Nice work bench!! I'm jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
this really is low buck since the beech lumber was free. I have less then a $100 in hardware including the tail vise slide that was on sale for $55.
More pics here;
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...ml#post1204401

1977 Tayana 37 Hull #91
Ramble On

Old 08-13-2014
I make sawdust

Nice score on the bronze port lights. We cleaned ours with a soak in Clorox toilet bowl cleaner (the blue kind with HCl, not chlorine). The acidic nature of the cleaner is a bit of a pain to work with, but we wore gloves and safety glasses when scrubbing with a brass brush. After paying $25/ea for new laminated safety glass for 8 oval and 3 round ports on our T37. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "low buck project", but at $3 for a bottle of Clorox, it's a cheap way to remove a whole lot of scale and corrosion from bronze hardware in a real hurry…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I have to crib this a bit in order to qualify for the low buck category. I'm only going to show 10% of the total project. I got ten of these solid bronze opening ports for $60 each. I had to scavenge them from a derelict old cruiser to get them for that price and by the time I was done I already wondered if I had paid too much.

The boat I recently bought has plastic deadlights with brass trim rings outside and teak rings inside. I wanted metal opening ports but even brass ones would have cost several boat bucks - bronze ones like these would have been almost as much as I paid for the whole boat plus they would have to come from New Zealand.

It's taken about a full days work each to remove, clean & polish them. That adds up when there are 10 of them to do. I had to start with 220 sandpaper and go up through 320, 400, 600, 800 & 1200 before I could begin buffing but I'm pretty happy with how they came out and especially the deal I got.

They won't go in until next fall or winter.

Before & after pics below.
1977 Tayana 37 Hull #91
Ramble On

Old 08-13-2014
I make sawdust

We also use Flitz metal polish every 6 months or so to maintain that "shiny new, straight from the factory" bronze finish. Not bad for bronze ports founded in 1977….
1977 Tayana 37 Hull #91
Ramble On

Old 08-13-2014
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

I cut the four holes on the sides of the berths for easier access. There are hatches on top but these are a pain with the cushions and who knows what else on top (sometimes people). I used a 3" hole saw to create the radii and then joined the holes with a thin cut off disk in an angle grinder. Finished it up with some sandpaper to remove sharp edges.

MedSailor, tschmidty and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by AllThumbs; 08-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
Nice score on the bronze port lights. We cleaned ours with a soak in Clorox toilet bowl cleaner (the blue kind with HCl, not chlorine). The acidic nature of the cleaner is a bit of a pain to work with, but we wore gloves and safety glasses when scrubbing with a brass brush. After paying $25/ea for new laminated safety glass for 8 oval and 3 round ports on our T37. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "low buck project", but at $3 for a bottle of Clorox, it's a cheap way to remove a whole lot of scale and corrosion from bronze hardware in a real hurry…

Are those pics simply before & after the acid bath or did you polish them up after?

Also, where were you when I spent all those days with wire brushes, sandpaper, buffing wheels & metal polish?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-13-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post

Nice work.

I've used vinegar to clean parts that still turned out well. Those ports of yours now looks brand new.
nighthawk likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 4 Weeks Ago
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
I cut the four holes on the sides of the berths for easier access. There are hatches on top but these are a pain with the cushions and who knows what else on top (sometimes people). I used a 3" hole saw to create the radii and then joined the holes with a thin cut off disk in an angle grinder. Finished it up with some sandpaper to remove sharp edges.

You can finish the cut-outs with automotive door edge guard to kkp your hands and arm from rubbing against the fiberglass, it makes a softer edge.
MedSailor likes this.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

Like the cutouts. And if you can find a local upholestry shop you the will probably carry that rubberized edge strip that slips on over the edges. They normally sell it by the foot, so you can cut it to exact length insted of trying to piece together door edging to make it fit all the way around. A little dab of glue or sealant in places ans it will stay in place for years.

Visit my blog--

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~