Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Until I can craft a completely hull out of Silly Putty and Elmers Glue...
... for under $100...
Old 01-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
... for under $100...
..from Ebay purchases and baseball cards..

(Did I really type "completely"? Ouch.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Low Buck LEDs

It's usually dark when I get to my boat. After climbing down the ladder and feeling around the breaker panel for the cabin lights a few times I came up with this $6 tap light from Lowes. So far I've only replaced the batteries once after two years. I also put them in my cockpit lockers to make it easier to find things in the dark.

When I get aboard and it's time to cook dinner I found I didn't have enough light in the galley, so I put this $19 LED light I found at Bed, Bath & Beyond above the range

And two of these LED touch lights ($8) under the shelf that hangs from the cabin top over my galley sink, so I can see to wash dishes.

Everything uses batteries so there were no wires to run or splice. I used some heavy duty velcro to stick them in place, so I can undo them later if I want. A little Goof Off and you'll never know they were there.

It's not the sexiest project I've done but for under $40 these lights get used every time I'm on board.

Jim
BreakAwayFL and Steady Hand like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-03-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Tunes at the helm

Right now I have an MP3 player hooked to my Sony stereo down in the cabin. I recently picked up a Sony remote head at a West Marine Store that was closing. West Marine Price: $130. Store closing price $12.

I'm going to remove the old Raymarine Wheel pilot head from my Navpod (no longer used), put the Sony Remote in it's place along with a mini-plug extension run back down below to a y-connector wired into the stereo. Now I can unplug my MP3 from below, plug it in at the helm, flip through tunes and control the stereo without having to go below, all for under $50.

Cost:
Sony Remote Head $12
Mini-plug extension: $15
12v power plug for MP3: $19

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-04-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
low cost refrigeration

One more for you, low cost refrigeration, The Sawafuji R134 unit was on Ebay for $45 so I had an idea that I could adapt it to the ice box. It appeared to be a factory replacement unit for the NORCOLD portable coolers. I cut a 1 1/2 hole for the lines to go through and cut evaporator panel supports out of starboard to mount the evaporator in the ice box. I had to unbend the evaporator and re-bend it. I bought a spare unit in case I needed a replacement. (it is destined to become a cooling system for home brewing lagers at controlled temps) The compressor was mounted on starboard to simplify the installation in the laserette. A thermal switch is not necessary, the unit is too small to freeze the contents unless used in the winter time. It measures out to be about 2.5 cubic ft. With 3" of insulation the thermal leakage should be in the range of 18 watts/hr. Check out the reference (Consumption Guide ). To freeze 1 lb of water it takes 144Btu's. So an 8lb bag of ice contains at least 1152 Btu's. Thermal leakage of the icebox indicates that a bag of ice should last only 4.5 hrs. If 3 bags lasted me for 36hrs with a little still frozen, then the thermal leakage is closer to 10 Watts or 100 Btu's loss per hour. If it is used to cool water from 80F to 40F that would be a delta of 40F. If I had a pound of water it would take 40 Btu's to do so. To keep every thing is perspective, a 6-pack is about 4 lbs of fluids. If a hot 80F 6-pack is placed in a cold icebox at 40F, it would take 40F*4lbs=160 Btu's to cool it. With 150 Btu's/hr available, it would take a little over an hour to cool it down.
In true life we are not that fortunate, physics plays mean tricks on us. Cooling turns out to be a differential equation with higher efficiency with the higher thermal delta, and reduced heat transfer capability as the delta is reduced. It turns out to be an asymptotic function to the true temp. The lesson for us to learn is pre-cool items going into the ice box. (also less thermal load)
Its been in operation for 3 yrs now and still can cool a 6pack with out ice, but for doing over-nighters I'll still take a bag of ice for my favorite beverages.
Power consumption is about 3-5amps, so your looking at 60 watts of power radiation, amount the same amount as a 100 watt light bulb. Running the engine put more heat in the laserette than the compressor /condenser. Other "commercial units" also use air cooling to keep the power consumption down.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-icebox2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-evap2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-evap1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-evap3.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-comp.jpg  

JordanCabot likes this.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan

Last edited by roline; 01-04-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added power/ heat considerations
Old 01-04-2010
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road
Lack of ventilation on my boat.
I fixed that by adding this ventilation grill.
I can choose between open or closed.
Later I wil insert a small sheet of some sort of net to keep bugs out.

The white grill (inside) was found in my attic.
The aluminium outer cover was € 10 in the home diy store.

Old 01-04-2010

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Roline:
How warm did the laserette become with the condenser placed there?
1976 #552
Old 01-04-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
just posting cause I want to subscribe. This is a GREAT thread!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 01-04-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
Adding a deck light

Another MacGyver trick......If you have a steaming light and wish to add a deck light you can do so by adding a couple current steering diodes to the light assembly and a toggle switch down on the electrical panel. I did this on my 525 over 10yrs ago. The beauty is that you don't have to add additional wires in the mast for an extra circuit. The down side is that you have to select one light or the other, not both. The amp rating of the diodes used must be greater than the amp draw of the lamps. For my application I was able to use 2amp diodes due to a 20Watt deck light. The double pole , double throw switch needs current rating greater than the current draw of the lamps. The switch just changes the polarity of the voltage on the wires and the diodes due the current steering..
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-p1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-p2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-decklite.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-05-2010
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road
Elec's are genius