Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree805Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
I had a broken 4 loop teak hand rail. The wood was in rather bad shape, but the ends were good. So I cut them off and made two new hand holds for the companion way.
Wood - Free
Varnish - $6.97
Cord - $2.95
Rope work - Priceless

Rope work is becoming a lost art I would like to see more of it.

Maverick

Last edited by Maverick1958; 01-15-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added second picture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I like the fancywork, maverick. Great project.
Old 01-17-2010
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road
its not my idea, but it's a good idea.

Prevents the seat from shifting around and thus damaging the hinges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
No picture, but I use a trunk net from a junkyard Cadillac as a little "gear hammock" to keep jackets, line, and whatever out of the way but still visible, accessible, and able to air out. I don't think the junkyard even charged me for it.

Another luxury car part that may work for a boat is the spring-loaded flip-up grab straps from the back of a 90's Jaguar sedan. They flip out of the way when not in use, but they are quite strong. I use one as a hand hold on my attic stairs. Might be a good companionway hand hold. My boat is too small to need one though.

BMWs traditionally have their batteries in the trunk. There's a nice long battery cable running from the engine compartment to the trunk. 12' long or more depending on the model of the car. U-pull it junkyards sell them for $5 or less. If you're redoing your electrical system on a shoestring budget that might be something to look at.

All of these parts are from cars that qualified for the "clunker" program so there's a glut of them in junkyards right now and the ones I've seen were all in pretty good shape.

I'd love to hear about other car parts used on boats. If I'm not on the water I'm up to my elbows in engine grease.

Keep your eye out for stuff, fellow junkyard dogs!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-17-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
I also electrified my boat for under $100. When I bought it, the boat had no electrical system. I run my GPS and eventually nav lights off of a 12V car "jump starter" It has a cigarette lighter outlet. I spliced a 12V lighter from an old CB onto the GPS power cord and it's plug and play. The jump starter also has a tire inflator air pump and an emergency light. Those could come in handy for a trailer sailor. Convenient carry handle. It's easy to recharge -- just pull the plug out, carry it into the garage and plug it into it's charger. Mine came with a thing to recharge it from a cigarette lighter too, so you could charge it with your tow vehicle. It lasts quite a while without a recharge. I got it at Wal Mart for $59 years ago. something like this: Wagan Tech Rechargeable Jump-starter With Air Compressor 2237 in Car Comfort at JR.com (that's the first one that came up in Google, I have no connection to that site)

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-17-2010
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road
again not my idea, but this guy is lazy and genius

engine haul with out trouble

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bartvdv; 01-18-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of my low-buck projects was to figure out how to get more ventilation for my cabin when the boat was at anchor, yet still have a proper spot for my instruments when I was under sail. The only reason this was possible is that the instrument displays I use are TackTick wireless display.

I took a Beckson 5" x 12" port:

and mounted it in the port side of the cockpit bulkhead/cabintop, right where the instruments normally were mounted on a Telstar 28. Then I removed the plexiglass hinged pane from the port and drilled it to fit the two TackTick instrument displays. Then I put the pane back on the port, so it looks like this:

The port stays closed when sailing unless the crew has to pass something up from the galley in really bad weather. At anchor, the port is swung up, and a screen put in place, giving the boat a bit of additional ventilation.
BreakAwayFL likes this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2010

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One of my low-buck projects was to figure out how to get more ventilation for my cabin when the boat was at anchor, yet still have a proper spot for my instruments when I was under sail. The only reason this was possible is that the instrument displays I use are TackTick wireless display.
Well done SD ...

but of course I wouldn't have expected anything less ...
Old 01-17-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
SD,
Nice job!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks guys... it has worked out really well and the port prevents the display sun covers from getting knocked off and protects the display from getting hit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.