Like Tree786Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Nice work, people. Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I needed a place to mount my spear gun. The Admiral had some extra Velcro straps lying around from another project plus a couple of screws.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the curtains seen in the second pic were also made on board for less than $100 for 10 ports plus a couple of pillows out of the spare material.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-projects-002.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-projects.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by remetau; 05-14-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Engine lift

When we got our Solar Stik we needed a new dinghy engine lift. We didnít want to pay a lot of money for one, so we came up with our own using a single tube and some line. We had a local T-Top maker in the area so we got a piece of aluminum tubing with some scrap fittings welded on. Plus we had them bake the flat mounting plate that was from scrap. Total for the aluminum was about $30. For the rest of the blocks and line, I think maybe another $40 (I canít remember it was too many beers ago).

The tube is attached via a quick release pin so we take the whole thing down and stow when not in use. We used to leave it on the Stik, but we learned that is not a good idea when it is in vicinity of a wind gen that has flexible blades in high winds, but that is another story.

Plus not pictured, we made an engine mounting board for our stern rail out of scrap starboard from a salvage yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-projects-015.jpg  
Pegu club likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
I wondered who still used handkerchiefs and then I saw the straight Razors.

LOL, I thought that a bit strange until I reminded myself that I use my great grandfather's shaving mug and a Kent badger brush daily.
Old 05-14-2010

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
Insalis where did you get the batten stock? I am missing a batten and ought to do the same thing.
Old 05-14-2010
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
First off. This is a great thread. There are some terrific ideas here and I plan to use a few of them.

I spend about $700-$900 every six months on professional re-wax of my blue gelcoat'd boat. Drives me nuts because I like doing almost everything myself, but I simply can't take a couple of days off work and family to break my back waxing the boat. I've tried every wax known to man, so you exotic wax'ers need not respond. I was almost willing to sell my soul to the devil in order to find something that would work.

Simple solution. $75 bought me the PoliGlow kit. First step is a spray bottle concentrate scrub (very simple). It de-oxidizes and removes existing wax and grime. I then applied 4 coats of a crazy simple application of PoliGlow, which by the time you complete the length of the boat is ready for the next coat. OMG (that stands for Oh my God), the shine is absolutely crazy from near or far.

There will likely be naysayers responding to the use of this kind of product. If you haven't used it, keep your comments to yourself. If you have used it and aren't happy, just keep this in mind. I'm so sick of failing waxes that I've considered spending upwards of $30,000 at the boatyard to paint the boat. Even if it does fail, it'll cost me a fraction of that $30k to strip it and do over. I'm an acrylic'holic!

Last edited by Vitesse473; 05-14-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse473 View Post
First off. This is a great thread. There are some terrific ideas here and I plan to use a few of them.

I spend about $700-$900 every six months on professional re-wax of my blue gelcoat'd boat. Drives me nuts because I like doing almost everything myself, but I simply can't take a couple of days off work and family to break my back waxing the boat. I've tried every wax known to man, so you exotic wax'ers need not respond. I was almost willing to sell my soul to the devil in order to find something that would work.

Simple solution. $75 bought me the PoliGlow kit. First step is a spray bottle concentrate scrub (very simple). It de-oxidizes and removes existing wax and grime. I then applied 4 coats of a crazy simple application of PoliGlow, which by the time you complete the length of the boat is ready for the next coat. OMG (that stands for Oh my God), the shine is absolutely crazy from near or far.

There will likely be naysayers responding to the use of this kind of product. If you haven't used it, keep your comments to yourself. If you have used it and aren't happy, just keep this in mind. I'm so sick of failing waxes that I've considered spending upwards of $30,000 at the boatyard to paint the boat. Even if it does fail, it'll cost me a fraction of that $30k to strip it and do over. I'm an acrylic'holic!
Oh, I've got that covered: $6 for darker sunglasses.
Sail Delmarva: Seven Sins I Will NOT Commit This Spring

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-14-2010
Catalina 25

jjrunning is on a distinguished road
Or a $10.00 bottle of rum.
Old 05-16-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Handrail covers. Less than $100 in fabric and materials. Used a standard Singer sewing machine with straight and zig-zag (old/heavy duty). I just made the pair this weekend.

Next will be coaming cover; hatch covers, and "stack-pack". The pack will cost about $300 in materials.
Old 06-27-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Built a cockpit table for a friend's boat. $25 worth of mahogany and pine, $5 worth of epoxy and varnish.

Southron Spirit likes this.