Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree937Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011
Adrift

XPatriot is on a distinguished road
My DIY GPS mount would have involved a shelf hanger and can of spray paint.

That's way too good looking Faster, you should go into business.
Old 05-22-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I am really pleased by how the door turned out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Lookin' good, BL.... does the whole frame and door set still lift out of the original channels???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-24-2011
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Looks good

Looks real good bl, but dang it seems narrow! I'm afraid my backsides would have a real squeeze getting thru.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 06-26-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
While trying to come up with a more aesthetically pleasing way of keeping my gas tank on the cockpit floor, I happened upon an old futon frame. By the next day, my brain had actually turned over enough to think "Hey... I betcha I can do something with that wood". Back to the pile I went, and fished out as many slats as I could pound out with my hands. A few brass screws, a little varnish (which I already had on hand), and VIOLA!!

Sorry there's no construction pics, but imagine a compound miter saw, and a few cuss words.
Old 07-16-2011

Hello folks, I'm back at it again.

Being as my power needs on board are very low, I figured I could get away with a much smaller battery then one would normally use. Being the frugal sort, I managed to find a lawn tractor battery that still showed 12.6 volts sitting in the recycle pile. I brought the treasure home, stuck it on the charger, and considered my options for a container.

Store bought containers are nice, but they don't fit in with my DIY (cheap) nature, so I started scanning the "pit of despair" otherwise known as my garage, for a possible solution.

Cheap is good, free is better.

I managed to find something simple, cheap, and effective:

This is a photo of the finished product, and we'll add the details.

I added a notch for the wires to come out.

A small vent.

And the battery fits fine.

Yes, I know it's not a deep cycle, but my little 10 dollar solar panel should have no trouble keeping up to my limited use.

When I consider that it's running a fish-finder, and occasionally a gps it should have no trouble keeping up. I may shorten it's lifespan, but at 20 dollars a pop when they're on sale in the spring, I can get 10 years out of 200 dollars versus 5 years out of one 200 dollar battery.
Old 07-16-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
GPS mount

Hello all

I have been a long admirer of the projects posted here, and thought I would add my own little project. My boat is sorely lacking in electronics, a hand-held gps covers all tasks. For the past couple of years it has rolled around the cockpit. I had mentioned to my father that I wanted to come up with a way to mount the gps inside the cabin with the ability to "swing" it out into the companion way when needed. No problem he say's I have just the thing for you. A couple of days later I returned home from work to find a wall lamp mount sitting on my kitchen table. With a little work and the use of my metal lathe I was able to come up with some thing that works.

The GPS is mounted on to a handlebar mount, normally used on a bike or motorcycle. I turned up a piece of aluminum to the correct dia and screwed it onto the end of the wall mount then clamped the handle bar mount to it. I then turned up a bolt and over sized nut. They pass thru the middle swing point, allowing me to lock the GPS in place, both inside the cabin and in the companionway.

Total cost?
Handlebar mount - 15$ (I already had it for use with my motorcycle)
Lamp arm - free, scavenged from a junk pile at a local non-profit thrift store.
Aluminum mount and bolt/nut- free, scape pieces from my own metal scape pile.

I hope the weather is windy and warm were ever you are from,
John
Southron Spirit likes this.
Old 07-17-2011

Nicely done. I also like the other mount you can see in the pictures.

Ideas they are a formin'.
Old 08-19-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Low Buck Projects: The Hatchboard Fan (warning - pic heavy)

Last Summer, cruising during the hot season left the admiral less than comfortable. The temperature was sort-of OK when anchored in wind -- it blows through the forward hatch and out the companionway, although mosquitoes flew in, necessitating the wearing of eau d'OFF. When there is no wind or when tied to a pier, air flow isn't so good. I resolved to look for a cheap solution.

Last Autumn, I ran across this item at Lowes on sale for half price -- $20.00.

Now that caught my eye immediately because it was battery powered as well as wall-powered. It looked good! Two speed and off, runs on 8 "D" cells or a wall wart. Even better, it pivoted up and down in its frame. Hmmm ... 12 volts. So I bought it.

I thought about that for a month and realized it was the answer to my complaints, but not in its present form. I wanted something that could pull air in or push air out, and I wanted to pull air through the screened portlights, not via the open hatch -- and i wanted to push air out whenever possible since mosquitoes can't fly upstream.

I, ahem, hatched an idea. Time to brush off the old EE and wood working skills. I came up with this:

It is a double height hatchboard with the fan mounted in it.

First, I needed to disassemble the fan. The frame held in place a useless, light duty single pole, double throw slide switch that had no mounting unless I wanted to redo the circuit board that set up the two speeds. And the frame also held the circuit board in place w/o screws. That will take some thinking. The fan itself turned out better than I hoped. I could leave it in its cage and use the axis and mount as-is! And of course, I could use the wall-wart to convert from 110V A/C to 12V D/C when I was hooked into shore power.

Next, I needed to figure out what parts I would need. I need a box to hold the circuit board and switch to keep them dry, a way to mount the fan on the wood, a way to connect the power to the fan (either 12V directly from the boat's distribution system or 110V wall power via the wall wart), and wiring for the power. I dug through old parts and found a DPDT screw-in toggle switch, it is overkill but I had it already. I also found some old exterior 1/2" plywood lying about the house. I bought the stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers, a typical plastic electrical box and blank plate, a 12 volt male end to fit into my boat's 12 volt outlet, the power jack, both male and female, so I could use the wall wart as-is.

Next came the manufacturing. I cut the plywood to size based on my middle two hatch boards, added some trim I had lying about to fill the edges out to 3/4" as my hatchboards are, then finished it with stain and 3 coats of floor varnish. Then I mounted the fan but oriented the axis vertically instead of horizontally.

I can turn it a full 360 so it can blow in or out. I can aim it anywhere in the salon -- cool the cook, blow toward the settee, or toward the dinette. Only the quarterberth is in its shadow. Mostly, I will have it blowing out and drawing air through the screened portlights -- no bugs!

Here are pics to show how I mounted everything in the electrical box and the two power sources -- 12 V distribution (which at the time did not yet have its power jack) and wall wart. I used a hot glue gun to tack down the circuit board to the side of the plastic electrical box. Wiring was easy. I just had to duplicate what already existed while it was in the old frame.

I had an occasion to try it a couple of weeks ago. It cooled the boat down to ambient temperature in about an hour on high. So here I am the next morning, well-rested and satisfied with my work. I didn't keep strict track of my expenditures, but it was around $50.00.
Southron Spirit likes this.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-19-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: pictures didn't appear
Old 08-20-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Nice work, dac!
Now, that's what this is all about- do what you gotta do with what you gotta do it with.
(That sounds like a CSN song)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.