Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 1381 Old 08-20-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

Hey, nice, dacap! Do you know how many amps the fan pulls?

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 1381 Old 08-20-2011
I break <-> I fix

How about cheap lifeline cushions?
MacGyverRI and harmonic like this.
post #233 of 1381 Old 08-20-2011
I break <-> I fix

Low dollar tiller tamer.
post #234 of 1381 Old 08-20-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Hey, nice, dacap! Do you know how many amps the fan pulls?
Yes, around half an amp on high.

Update: Actually, I think it is less than half an amp, although I have not measured it (don't have a magnetic field strength meter). 8 "D" cell batteries are supposed to last 12 hours.

T. P. Donnelly
S/V Tranquility Base
1984 Islander 30 Bahama
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-20-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: New Information
post #235 of 1381 Old 08-20-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Trash Collection

I have one final low-buck project. In the engineering world, simpler is always better, and this one is so simple it is trivial. It is also not very original, but I am proud of it nonetheless. This one is less than a dollar but maximizes the utility to cost ratio, not to mention makes my life a little greener.

I needed a place to collect trash while cruising, preferably near the galley. My 30 footer does not have much foot room, as you can see from the picture below.

The logical place to collect trash is in that inset under the sink. But a trash can would bounce around and tip over, so it would need something to keep it against the bulkhead.

Simultaneously, I got to thinking about all the plastic grocery bags I keep collecting. It's a pain remembering to take them to recycling. Hmmmm ... the greenies tell me that reuse is better than recycling, so on the next trip to the hardware store I bought a couple of cup hooks. I attached them here:

This works particularly well. The bag stays put even when we're heeled over hard to starboard.

Also worth noting, although I don't have a picture of it, is that I saved one of those little boutique Kleenex boxes and now a fold my plastic grocery bags and stuff them in it. Instant dispenser! Even better, the bags take up little room this way.
shanson likes this.

T. P. Donnelly
S/V Tranquility Base
1984 Islander 30 Bahama
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-20-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Inadvertently posted pic as a link.
post #236 of 1381 Old 08-21-2011

2, 1 1/4" x 4" x 6' pieces of Mahogany for $60 or so, a table saw, sander etc. and you have a behind the fold up table Bar/China rack for extra storage.

I lost no room since it now comes out flush to the mast and just had to move the "hook" (visible top left) to keep the table up to the side from the orig. bulkhead mount. Then you put the bottom of it where the hinge center was for the table and screw the hinge into the front side of the rack to keep the table at the orig. height.

edit to add;
Finished size is 36" H x 17" W (ripped 16" x 1/2"shelves) so the project had enough from just 2 pieces of Mahogany. I also use Tung Oil on my interior rather than Spar Varnish or Teak Oil, it lasts a long time inside.
Attached Thumbnails
TableRack1 (1).jpg  
dacap06 likes this.

Ken, East Prov., R.I. Bootlegger, PY26 Paceship

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 08-22-2011 at 01:46 AM.
post #237 of 1381 Old 08-21-2011 Thread Starter

dacap and SHOOL, welcome aboard. Simple and Cheap + elegant, in my book. Keep it up!

Macgyver, dude, you are living up to your alias! Nice work!

Keep 'em coming, folks!

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #238 of 1381 Old 08-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
2, 1 1/4" x 4" x 6' pieces of Mahogany for $60 or so, a table saw, sander etc. and you have a behind the fold up table Bar/China rack for extra storage.
Nice!

That gives me some ideas to use on land as well!

Take care,

MagicBill
post #239 of 1381 Old 08-27-2011
Quirky

Since some people have been complaining about the stern rail seats, I needed some cushions. I have some left over sunbrella from making my mainsail cover (which did not qualify for this thread as its costs were $60 over the maximum).
$1.97 for pipe insulation foam and $4.96 for velcro from Home Depot. I had all the other stuff.

It would have taken some time to figure out a pattern to match the curve and I was feeling lazy. So they're just straight tubes. When I can find my protractor and my pocket protector, I might be up to making a better pattern. There is no puckering when viewing the cushions from outside the boat so that saves my self confidence (whew!).
Hopefully it'll get people on those seats and out of the cockpit. Now I need to figure out a walk through mainsheet since it likes to whack unsuspecting innocents who ignore "gybe ho!" upside the face.

Oh! I guess I should find the cup holders else the new cushions will remain unused until a patron can rest their beer comfortably by their side (bites knuckles)!

Up next is something in progress. It's for holding my companionway hatch boards. They'll hold the boards vertically against a bulkhead. It's cedar, a reason to use my router, and held together with dowels, chewing gum and carefully triangulated dental floss (I kid, I kid...except for the dowels). Total cost so far is $2.47 + tax. Upon reviewing my design (I picked up all 4 hatchboards at once-more hefty than I had figured), I will make some gussets to support the floor from underneath. I had the stain and finish left over from a cabinet I had made. It matches the interior of the boat just perfectly!

I need to get the screws for mounting. That could double the cost of this project. Craps! Maybe I can find a coupon.

This post is made from recycled electrons

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 08-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #240 of 1381 Old 08-27-2011
s/v Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromNWOnt View Post
While trying to come up with a more aesthetically pleasing way of keeping my gas tank on the cockpit floor, I happened upon an old futon frame. By the next day, my brain had actually turned over enough to think "Hey... I betcha I can do something with that wood". Back to the pile I went, and fished out as many slats as I could pound out with my hands. A few brass screws, a little varnish (which I already had on hand), and VIOLA!!

Sorry there's no construction pics, but imagine a compound miter saw, and a few cuss words.
I had much the same idea for my boat. Can you list some of the ways you measured and put this together so I can have a bit more into to get started on my own? Yours looks absolutely great!
Southron Spirit likes this.

Ilya's Adventures:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.