Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008
Junior Mumbler

Trimmer is on a distinguished road
I had my US 25 home two winters ago for a bottom job and a poormans refit. I can't find one picture. :I did make new windows. New cabin sole, painted the interior etc... None of that was cheap. Ahh but I did find new cabin lighting at the R.V. store real cheap, about $15 each. I was however proud of my mizerliness when it came to the setup. I bought a bunch of 14' 2x8's and built a platform on top of the trailer. Thats where I bolted the Cosco car-port. I was working in my boat with just a sweatshirt in february.I also had two strings of lights up and ofcourse musac.The 2x8's were reused in the summer for a new deck, the carport after I freed it blew across the yard jumped the fence and killed itself.Oh well. BTW the platform was awsome, I was able to sand the entire bottom, keel and all fairly compfortably. I hooked my sander up to a shopvac and didn't even need glasses, just a mask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"It's nice to be nice to the nice" Frank Burns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Ah ha!

Just the thing I need.

I see a new project for next year.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
The PO didn't have a permanent location for a fixed VHF on my Helms 25. I wanted the radio close to the mast location to keep the coax short for low line loss. I also needed some additional circuits for spreader lights and steaming/foredeck lighting I was adding. Here is what I came up with that was out of the way, can be seen from the cockpit and allows a remote mike in the cockpit

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 12-30-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Wayne -

Nice work. That'll work perfect on my boat. I've been looking for a good place to do put a panel.

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
The PO didn't have a permanent location for a fixed VHF on my Helms 25. I wanted the radio close to the mast location to keep the coax short for low line loss. I also needed some additional circuits for spreader lights and steaming/foredeck lighting I was adding. Here is what I came up with that was out of the way, can be seen from the cockpit and allows a remote mike in the cockpit
JordanCabot likes this.
Old 12-30-2008
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Low Buck

This is my Nav Station. It used to be a shelf with everything hanging or sitting on the shelf. It cost me less then $100 to make it a lot nicer. It is easily removeable to gain access to the buss bars I installed behind it. I made it by first making patterns (the underside of the deck here has multiple camber). I scrounged around for enough 1/2" marine plywood. I then applied black formica (from Lowe's). By reusing the existing Mahagony fiddle rail i was able to make matching trim for the corner. The panel does not extend the entire lenght of the shelf I left a 12" space on the aft end. In this area I installed 2- 12volt outlets ,for a charging station. As well as mounting for my Wham mic charging/storage cradle. My Garmin 545 is able to be used at the nav station or in the seperate cradle in the cockpit. Both locations for the GPS are fully interfaced - NMEA for the VHF,autopilot. Audio out for the XM radio to the stereo. The GPS uses the internal antenna on deck and the remote antenna down below. Sorry for the lousy cellphone pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-navstation1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-navstation2.jpg  
OPossumTX, LoboPops and markh3084 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 01-07-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Figured I would add a couple more, or "What I did over the Christmas holiday."
I used up the rest of the table I sacrificed for the project that started this thread, and built a hinged double sided chartboard:

It's sized to fit standard charts folded in quarters. Course can be laid out on the clear cover with grease pencil. Next step is to build a pair of hinged stowable knees in the cabin of my boat to create a small-space nav station.
Currently in progress- a triple jointed gooseneck mount for my chartplotter:
It's still a little rough around the edges, but overall I am happy with the concept
littlejohnw likes this.
Old 01-08-2009

sander06 is on a distinguished road
GREAT projects!! Does hanging caps and underwear over port holes count as a cheap solution to boat curtains? I'm also using a $15 timer switch to turn our propane gas solenoid on and off. Never need to worry about turning off the gas after cooking.

Cheers.
2simplywandering likes this.
Old 01-08-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander06 View Post
GREAT projects!! Does hanging underwear over port holes count as a cheap solution to boat curtains?
If it's used and yours, no. If it is someone else's, as long as you didn't spend more than a hundred bucks on drinks in a boat bar to get them to hang in front of the ports, then it qualifies.
Old 01-08-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Stern radar mount

Hi all.

Here is one of my many current DIY projects. We will be putting our radar on a pole off the stern. I needed:
  • an adjustable (horizontally) platform for the radar 1/4 aluminum
  • a pole (about 8 feet long - thick walled aluminum 2 inch)
  • and a base to connect to the boat

The pole will be additionally supported by connecting it to the stern rail in three places (so , don't worry about that part.

Here is a picture of the radar platform that will go on top of the pole.

Total cost was $36.00 for the pole and the piece of 1/4 inch flat stock aluminum and about $20.00 for the bottle wine I gave the guy who cut, drilled and welded it. Hey - what are friends for, right?

Cheers
Old 01-08-2009
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
That is really nice. A canvas shop would charge you your first born for a full cockpit enclosure that does the same thing. Excellent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'
Old 01-08-2009

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Made a new set of drop boards for the companionway out of mahogany and Ipe.

Working on a new butterfly hatch for the forward hatch .

Regards, John

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.