Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree812Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I have a similar table but the mount on the floor makes it wobble --a real pain! I suspect the mount does not allow enough of the post to keep it stable? thoughts? pics?

thanks and fairwinds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Nice work. What wood did you use?
I used maple to provide a contrast to the teak in the cabin. It will darken up when I oil it but will still be much lighter in colour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBay View Post
Our refrigerator is fairly large and never had a light. This made it extremely hard to see and find things that ended up packed in the corners unless we had a flashlight in our teeth. So for about $30 I bought some red LED rope lights, mounts, and a rocker switch. The lights got strung around the upper edge and down the back corner and the switch is close to the door. Over all it provides good light that won't rune your night vision or use much power (no more groping in the dark for a drink!) The only down side is having to remember to, or develop the habit of turning off the switch. I could have gotten a refrigerator door switch, but with 3 different ways to open it i'de need to install 3 and that seems like more trouble than its worth.

Sorry for the bad pics, they were taken with my cell.
I'm afraid to ask what those containers hold in that "red light district."

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-20-2012
Bill

white74 is on a distinguished road

$25panasonic toughbook cf27 p3 500mhz
$20older pcmcia cardbus gps sirf II chip
$20flexible waterproof keyboard and mouse
freenavigatrix linux
freecharts from noaa
toughbooks use 12 - 19 volts input
next is ais, autopilot from stepper motor, wifi for grib downloads and email,
nmea 0183 ducer connected to com port on laptop, and external display.
daylight readable screen and free charts ... priceless
William White
SV Rangatira
Old 03-20-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
In this forum, we've seen big projects on small boats and small projects on big boats- let's see the cheap projects! Show us what you have done on your boat on a budget.
Here's the rules:

1) Gotta be under $100 US, or equivalent currency.

2) You must have done it yourself. Although, if you found someone to work on your boat for less than $100, feel free to post contact info.

3) bonus points will be given for elegance and ingenuity.
Here's hoping I get some of those bonus points, maybe I can exchange them for valuable prizes somewhere.

I bought 5 LED strip lights, the kind that are about 18 inches long and have double sided tape on the back. I used one of them under the lip above where the nav station panel closes. Cost for one was about $7. You can see it installed here:

If you look closely, you can see that I bent a couple pieces of wire to have a circle (to fit around a wood screw) and a little tab (to hold the end of the LED strip. The glue on the double sided tape didn't work so well on the end of the LED strip. That and the double sided tape didn't go all the way out to the end of the strip, because of the end cap on the strip. Cost for 2 small pieces of wire was $0. I had it around anyway.

Edit: Adding this picture -- Brad

I led the wire through a small notch in the wood that I carefully made with a chisel. (The notch and wire are on the far end end f the LED strip, out of sight.) Then I connected the light to a switch on the side of the nav station. I rarely used that switch; it was for a small light near the floor. (It was the "mystery switch" that I posted about a while back.) Here is the LED strip with the light on.

Here you can see how well it lights up the nav station panel. What you can't see in the picture is how well it lights up the nav station tabletop. (I have a single LED not shown that can act as a spot light onto the table top if needed. It plugs into the nearby 12v plug.) Anyway, there's plenty of light there. The copy of Eldridge is actually in the shadow at the back of the nav station.

And then when I open the panel, the same strip light fully illuminates the wiring harness and the strip blocks for the wiring.

The transition is amazing, probably worth posting a video so you can see the effect when opening the panel. Maybe when there's more time.

Total cost about $7.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. Yes, that's my on-board, 12v WiFi WAP (Wireless Access Point) that connects to my Bullet2HP long range WiFi at the top of the mast. Note the very simple POE injector in the picture. I'm not quite done with that project yet -- waiting for delivery of a reliable, very long CAT5 cable. (I'm buying Belkin only from now on. The blue wire in the picture turned out to not work. I don't need those headaches.) I installed the WAP this past weekend. The setup works really well. Once I get it completely done, maybe I'll post about it.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 03-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Brad, how do they perform when the battery voltage gets a little low?

I bought a cheap LED reading lamp from West Marine a couple years ago and ended up pulling it back out. Worked great when the battery voltage was high. Sucked when the house bank got under 12.4 to 12.2 volts or so.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 03-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Nice work, Bene!

Old 03-20-2012

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

I use one. It has great insulation. I start out with a couple of cold packs and it stays cold for 2-3 days. Plug it in when at the dock and you are good for another couple of days. I had fresh crispy spinach after a week on the water, with only one night plugged in at the dock in the middle of the week.
Old 03-20-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Brad, how do they perform when the battery voltage gets a little low?

I bought a cheap LED reading lamp from West Marine a couple years ago and ended up pulling it back out. Worked great when the battery voltage was high. Sucked when the house bank got under 12.4 to 12.2 volts or so.
They work ok, as far as I know. And I think we had low voltage at one point. (At one point, I attached a long 2-conductor speaker wire to them and lowered them into the water. They are indeed waterproof. I've thought about attaching a strip to the underside of the bottom rung of the swim lader, so the kids can watch the fish.

By the way, the ones I got are very bright. I could have used a strip light with fewer LEDs. However, I do like the brightness when I'm working on the boat in the evenings during the winter. And they draw so few amps that it's no problem leaving them on at night as a nightlight when at anchor.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 03-20-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I sure have enjoyed this thread and would love to see more contributions. Come on you clever cheapskates, show us what else you got.

(Sadly my boat is just costing $$$. I don't have enough cheap projects to show)