I have 2 low-bucks projects to post from over the weekend. The first is a new seal on my fridge and freezer lids. Previously, the freezer cold plate would get quickly covered in frost. There was never a really good seal, and humid air would flow into the box. If you turned the lights on inside the fridge and freezer, you would see lots of light coming out around the lid. (The fridge lights were a previous project, not sure I posted it here or not.)
So I made my own gasket using silicone and blue painters tape and a razor blade.
First I prepped the surface by putting bleach-soaked paper towels on the lid. This kept the bleach from running and actually got the seal areas white and stain-free. (This also worked on a stained are inside the box.) After thoroughly rinsing and drying, I taped the areas where I didn't want the silicone to go. I also put some tape inside the box, in back, where I though the silicone could ooze excesively.
Then I applied silicone to the where I wanted the gasket to be. I used several beads-on-top-of beads where the gap was largest. (Note, I could have used more. Use *much* more than you think you need.)
Then I waited about 20 minutes. I was concerned that the drying time would be really long since the fridge and freezer would be sealed containers. I wasn't sure how long that would be, so I let the silicone set-up for a bit.
I sprayed the fridge and freezer box edges (the other side of the seal) with a huge amount of Pam cooking spray. This is canola oil, I think. I put paper towels inside the box to catch any dripping silicone.
Then I flipped the lids over, put them in place and screwed the hinges in place.
The next day I managed to get the darn lids open.
I removed the tape and trimmed the new gasket to the size I wanted.
What is most amazing is how well the new gasket transitioned from the horizontal seal area to the vertical seal area, behind the lids below where the hingers are.
Now, when you close the freezer lid, the fridge lid pops up slightly. This is a good test that there is a seal, IMHO. (I actually want an even better seal. Perhaps I'll put a parallel gasket in place, in the future.) As part of the project, I also sealed all the holes going into the box and between the two boxes. (Awhile back I ran new refrigerant lines, putting a 12v system in parallel with the now-defunct engine compressor.) I also ran a lot of wires for lights and in-the-box fans, the next project.
All-told, I used 1 tube of silicone and some blue tape that I had left over from fall projects. Total cost, about $15.