Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree835Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Okay, here is my follow up to my vee berth cushion ventilation idea. Mitiempo rightly pointed out that my original version would not allow air to circulate under the cushions. So, back to Home Depot for some $2.29 PVC plastic picket fence sections. These (I needed ten) were installed under the PVC lattice pieces, leaving lots of air space with open channels. So for my whole vee berth I am in for about $50-ish.

Cheers, Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-vee-1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-vee-2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-pickets.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-vapor-space.jpg  

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Okay, here is my follow up to my vee berth cushion ventilation idea. Mitiempo rightly pointed out that my original version would not allow air to circulate under the cushions. So, back to Home Depot for some $2.29 PVC plastic picket fence sections. These (I needed ten) were installed under the PVC lattice pieces, leaving lots of air space with open channels. So for my whole vee berth I am in for about $50-ish.

Cheers, Bill
I like to be supportive of the efforts of the frugal, but this is looking a little too bodged together. You don't think there will be some kind of noise, or even movement from this stacked collection of landscaping bits and bobs?
Old 06-11-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

I agree with the look being kind of thrown together. That is why they are UNDER the cushions. As my cushions are thick and tight fitting, there is no movement or rattling around. Now with amorous people on top, who knows...

Just trying to keep any possible water dampness away from the cushions. And I am not being defensive, I appreciate all input and opinions .

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 06-11-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I have 2 low-bucks projects to post from over the weekend. The first is a new seal on my fridge and freezer lids. Previously, the freezer cold plate would get quickly covered in frost. There was never a really good seal, and humid air would flow into the box. If you turned the lights on inside the fridge and freezer, you would see lots of light coming out around the lid. (The fridge lights were a previous project, not sure I posted it here or not.)

So I made my own gasket using silicone and blue painters tape and a razor blade.

First I prepped the surface by putting bleach-soaked paper towels on the lid. This kept the bleach from running and actually got the seal areas white and stain-free. (This also worked on a stained are inside the box.) After thoroughly rinsing and drying, I taped the areas where I didn't want the silicone to go. I also put some tape inside the box, in back, where I though the silicone could ooze excesively.

Then I applied silicone to the where I wanted the gasket to be. I used several beads-on-top-of beads where the gap was largest. (Note, I could have used more. Use *much* more than you think you need.)

Then I waited about 20 minutes. I was concerned that the drying time would be really long since the fridge and freezer would be sealed containers. I wasn't sure how long that would be, so I let the silicone set-up for a bit.

I sprayed the fridge and freezer box edges (the other side of the seal) with a huge amount of Pam cooking spray. This is canola oil, I think. I put paper towels inside the box to catch any dripping silicone.

Then I flipped the lids over, put them in place and screwed the hinges in place.

The next day I managed to get the darn lids open.

I removed the tape and trimmed the new gasket to the size I wanted.

What is most amazing is how well the new gasket transitioned from the horizontal seal area to the vertical seal area, behind the lids below where the hingers are.

Now, when you close the freezer lid, the fridge lid pops up slightly. This is a good test that there is a seal, IMHO. (I actually want an even better seal. Perhaps I'll put a parallel gasket in place, in the future.) As part of the project, I also sealed all the holes going into the box and between the two boxes. (Awhile back I ran new refrigerant lines, putting a 12v system in parallel with the now-defunct engine compressor.) I also ran a lot of wires for lights and in-the-box fans, the next project.

All-told, I used 1 tube of silicone and some blue tape that I had left over from fall projects. Total cost, about $15.

Regards,
Brad
erps and Bilgewater like this.

Last edited by Bene505; 06-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

It's getting late, so I'll let these 3 pictures speak for themselves, except to say that the vertical, 1/2" PVC pipe does not go all the way to the bottom of the box. Note also that the first picture is a hacksaw cutting into the PVC elbow. The lines are below and not getting cut.

Total cost, about $10 since I already had the wire and I used the other "side" of the SPDT switch that controls the fridge and freezer lights.

Regards,
Brad
Old 06-11-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Does that pull cold air off the floor and circulate it Brad? I don't see a hole in the bottom of the little vertical tube, so was just wonderin'.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-11-2012
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road

Instead of dragging the heavy inflatable down to the lake each time I wanted to go sailing, I decided to start using my son's 8' El Toro as a dinghy. I can keep it right next to the docks. I put oar locks on it but, man, that tiny fiberglass thwart was a pain in the ass. The useable part of the thwart is only a few inches wide as the rest angles downward at a steep angle. And the narrow dagger board trunk tries to force its way up my crack! I made a much more comfortable seat from a couple of pieces of plywood and some scrap foam. It has room for my cheeks to spread out!

The wooden seat is a scrap piece of pressure treated 3/8", and the "fin" is an old cut down companionway drop board screwed and epoxied to the seat. I was going to make the "fin" just 4" deep to hold the seat in place but decided to make it long enough to stick out of the bottom of the daggerboard slot a few inches to add some directional stability: the El Toro rows like a bowling ball otherwise. If I get ambitious I might glue or staple some Sunbrella to the seat to make it look upholstered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by heinzir; 06-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Does that pull cold air off the floor and circulate it Brad? I don't see a hole in the bottom of the little vertical tube, so was just wonderin'.
Yes. Household fridges have internal fans which help keep a consistent temperature throughout the box. This box had no fan.

The tube goes to within a couple inches of the bottom of the box, along the wall adjacent to the freezer. That's where the air will be the coldest.

Here another shot of it, right before I zip-tied it in plpace.

Regards,
Brad
Old 06-13-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

To prevent jib sheets and other line from getting caught underneath hatches, I take a piece of bungee cord, hog ring it into loops, and put it under the hatch overhang. It takes up the space the sheets can grab, and when it is tucked under can barely be seen without looking very closely (I couldn't get it to show up on pictures).

Cost

$1/foot for the bungee cord
.25 a hog ring
Old 06-13-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
To prevent jib sheets and other line from getting caught underneath hatches, I take a piece of bungee cord, hog ring it into loops, and put it under the hatch overhang. It takes up the space the sheets can grab, and when it is tucked under can barely be seen without looking very closely (I couldn't get it to show up on pictures).

Cost

$1/foot for the bungee cord
.25 a hog ring

Sounds intriguing, but I don't get it.