Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree783Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

For the past year or so, I have been using a bluetooth receiver to stream music from my ipad or android cell phone via A2DP. It works great. I simply turn on this small device and plug it into the aux jack on my stereo and I can play tunes without being tethered. I really enjoy reading the bios in Pandora as the music plays. The downside is that the BT device is rechargeable and has a limited range. I had to string a long cable up into the cockpit in order to play music from there which is kind of pointless with a wireless device.

http://www.miccus.com/uploads/produc...jack1small.jpg

About a month ago the stereo died. So I went out and bought a Sony unit with built in BT. This also allows us to use the stereo as a speaker phone with our cells. But this unit also has a distance limitation and in the cockpit, the music would often cut out.

I did a little online research and found that the antenna in these head units are very small as they do not need to connect from very far because they were designed to be in your car which is pretty small.

I found that if I added an external antenna it should increase the range so I popped open the stereo and found the mini coax connecter on the BT module and connected it to a standard 5db gain 2.4ghz antenna(similar to a wifi antenna). I could now go to the boat in the next slip and stream my music all for about $25. I also gain by not needing a separate powered device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Spreader lights,

When I was rerigging my Alberg over the winter i wanted to replace the not working 55w stainless spreader lights with LED ones. After searching the internet i was conviced i could not afford them...most were in the 150-200 or more at least the ones designated "spreader lights". One day while trolling a local marine store I spotted some underwater LED lights that claimed to be 600lumens for $30 ea, I figured why not. Lets hope they last. They only draw .2 ah, I finally got them wired in and working. Whatcha you think? Got $60 invested
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img_0537resize.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img_0540resize.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruiser2B For This Useful Post:
highcs (09-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Spreader lights,

When I was rerigging my Alberg over the winter i wanted to replace the not working 55w stainless spreader lights with LED ones. After searching the internet i was conviced i could not afford them...most were in the 150-200 or more at least the ones designated "spreader lights". One day while trolling a local marine store I spotted some underwater LED lights that claimed to be 600lumens for $30 ea, I figured why not. Lets hope they last. They only draw .2 ah, I finally got them wired in and working. Whatcha you think? Got $60 invested
Cruiser,

Great picture!!

Do you have any closeups of the lights you used?

Regards,
Brad
Old 07-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Boater Sports Marine Underwater Aqua-Bright LED Light 12V 600 Lumen Blue 51089 763562510898 | eBay

I used these, but bright white, not blue

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 07-15-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Spreader lights,

Winning idea!
Old 07-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Spreader lights,

You'll be really glad you bought these if you capsize!

Nice idea! I'll have to do that myself. Currently my spreader lights are tractor headlights I believe and turning the two of them on draws 12amps!!!

MedSailor
ntolst likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-18-2012

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road

Okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When I raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day I built my own. Items required:
2 golf balls (free, out of my golf bag)
1 U bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)
1 old track runner (not sure what the technical term is, but free, sitting in a hardware bucket)

I drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the U bolt, then marked where I needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the U bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! a home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-oka-20120717-00842.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-hudson-20120717-00843.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-hudson-20120717-00841.jpg  
Old 07-19-2012

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallybuyingaboat View Post
okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When i raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day i built my own. Items required:
1 u bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)
1 old track runner (not sure what the technical term is, but free, sitting in a hardware bucket)

i drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the u bolt, then marked where i needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the u bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! A home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!
totally fantastic
Old 07-19-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallybuyingaboat View Post
Okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When I raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day I built my own. Items required:
1 U bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)

I drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the U bolt, then marked where I needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the U bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! a home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!

That's funny! Reminds me of the trailer hitch "balls" that hang down from the back of pickup trucks.
Old 07-19-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

Did you glue the golf balls? I'd be worried they'd unscrew and go rolling around the boat.