Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree716Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Gluing the Sunbrella directly to the foam with contact cement for my dinghy rowing seat was so easy and turned out looking so professional that it inspired me to finally make the cockpit cushions I had bought the materials for a couple of years ago. I kept putting off the project because of the complexity of sewing the covers for a good fit. I'm not afraid of the sewing machine; I made all of the sail covers and the pop top enclosure. But the cushions intimidated me because of the close fitting necessary. Contact cement to the rescue! I didn't have to sew a stitch, and each cushion only took about an hour to make after I had cut the foam to fit. I even made a cushion for the bridge deck/companionway, which is where my wife likes to sit. I think backrests for the companionway sides are next. I also made a pair of J shaped backrests that fit over the cockpit coamings.

texwards and MedSailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Heinzir - That sounds like a good solution. OTOH, sewing cushions isn't too difficult. I don't have any sewing experience more than junior high home econ. Get the video from Sailrite. They describe how to make the sides and zippers without too much fuss. Even on a 27' boat the interior cushions do add up to a lot of material and foam.
Old 07-19-2012
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Heinzir - That sounds like a good solution. OTOH, sewing cushions isn't too difficult. I don't have any sewing experience more than junior high home econ. Get the video from Sailrite. They describe how to make the sides and zippers without too much fuss. Even on a 27' boat the interior cushions do add up to a lot of material and foam.
I have the video but don't need to mess with any of that; the project is done. And it took less than 1/10 of the time it would to sew covers for the cushions. I might reconsider when it comes time to redo the interior cushions but for the cockpit this works great!

Sorry about the double post. I'm trying to delete one but my computer does not like Sailnet and keeps locking up when I try to edit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
Gluing the Sunbrella directly to the foam with contact cement for my dinghy rowing seat was so easy and turned out looking so professional that it inspired me to finally make the cockpit cushions I had bought the materials for a couple of years ago.
Awesome! You just lay out the fabric on the foam and glue? For the seams, are they just cut fabric and glued also? Do they overlap?

What kind of foam did you use and what kind of cement?

I'm impressed!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-20-2012
Junior Senior

I didn't have any seams; my cushions are narrow enough that I was able to cover them with a single piece of fabric each. The sides are just folded over extensions of the top. If I did need seams, I would fold the edges of the fabric over 1/2" or so to hide the cut edges and butt the folds together.

I used 1" closed cell foam which is adequate for my small boat. It is harder than regular foam and not comfortable for sleeping but is adequate for seating my ample behind. For a fatter and softer cushion you could make a sandwich of regular and closed cell foam. The layers can also be glued together with contact cement. I would not use the foam designed to drain water right through in this application as both the Sunbrella and the layer of contact cement are relatively waterproof.

I used regular contact cement that comes in quart cans from the hardware store. It is usually used to apply laminate to countertops. You paint it on both surfaces (the fabric and the foam) with a disposable chip brush (NOT a foam brush). The trick is to let both surfaces sit for about twenty minutes until they are dry to the touch, then put them together. They will bond instantly so you have to be sure they are properly in place.

To make my cushions, I first cut the foam to shape. I used a piece of cardboard on the boat to make a template to get the curves right. I laid the Sunbrella out on the floor good side down. (Sunbrella does not normally have a "good" or "bad" side but I got a bargain on some fireproof stuff on ebay that definitely is different on each side. The finished side is a perfect color match with regular Sunbrella.) I laid the cut foam on top of the fabric and traced its outline about 3" wider than the foam all around. I cut out the fabric on this line. The extra 3" allowed the fabric to fold over the sides of the foam and onto the bottom a little.

Then it was just a matter of painting the contact cement on every square inch of the "in" side of the fabric, on the entire top side of the foam, and on the sides of the foam as well as a few inches along the bottom perimeter. Lay the fabric out on a flat floor and when the contact cement has dried to the touch put the foam on it. Make sure it is aligned correctly as it will bond instantly and is hard to remove or adjust. There should be 3" of fabric (more if your cushion is thick) sticking out all around the foam cushion. Fold this fabric up to form the sides and ends, and then fold what's left over the bottom. Remember, the cushion is upside down. You might have to make a few slits in the fabric on the bottom side or double fold on the curves to make it lay flat. The finished side of the cushion will be as perfectly flat as the floor you are working on.

I'm no expert; this is just what I did and it worked for me.
texwards and MedSailor like this.

Old 07-20-2012

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Did you glue the golf balls? I'd be worried they'd unscrew and go rolling around the boat.
I guess you could glue the golf balls onto the U bolt, but it is a fairly long thread and the material of the golf ball is soft enough to sort of grab onto the threads. Worst case, i reach into my golf bag for a replacment part!
Old 07-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

101000+ views!!!!
Thanks for all the great contributions, folks. Keep 'em coming. Low-buck sailing is long-term sailing!

Old 07-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
101000+ views!!!!
Thanks for all the great contributions, folks. Keep 'em coming. Low-buck sailing is long-term sailing!
+1. This is a hell of a thread.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Cigar boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Some use of cigar boxes. I think we paid about $8. The first one is storage for our handkerchiefs. The second one is for shaving needs.
I like that. I have a few boxes that I use to store razor blades (double edge, all I use unless I have time to use my straight) and another razors, but they are not mounted. They make great general small item storage, and my local smoke shop gives them out for free. I feel guilty picking them up as I have not smoked any thing since like 1980, but he would not accept any money. Almost made me want to start again. I mount a bit of foam free from work on one side to keep the items from shifting around.

Are you a member over at badgerandblade? I have the same handle over there.
Old 08-01-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

bl asked me to cross this from another thread on fiberglass repairs:

Being a cheap, miserly guy I tend to regret wasting stuff (although one could make a case that I absolutely LOVE to waste time, but that's another issue...).

Like our dear friend bl, I've used the West pumps through gallons of resins, and I've never been disappointed with the mix. But those pumps aren't cheap (make that inexpensive) and that always rubbed me a little against the grain.

Fast forward a couple of projects. I had numerous spots that needed the strength of epoxy but not the volume even one pump of the West pumps delivered. I wound up using some MAS epoxy, which has a 2:1 mix ratio. Looking for the convenience of the metered pump (but without the cost) I raided our recycling bin and pulled out a couple of Dial liquid hand soap dispensers. I cleaned them up and grabbed our digital kitchen scale. I did some consistency checks using water as the medium, comparing the weight of single and multiple strokes of both pumps. Guess what? They were pretty much dead on. So, after charging them with the MAS resin and hardener, I now have a "metered" pump set for small batches of epoxy.
KismetP362 likes this.