Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree780Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road
Extra Storage Space

In need for a compact extra storage space.

A 24 pocket hanging shoe bag hanging on the head door.

BED, BATH & BEYOND

$14 AND CHANGE minus a 20% discount coupon

$11 AND CHANGE total cost
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-boat-storage-1.jpg  
Razcar likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Console for stereo, VHF, and one speaker:

It fits where the stove should be and adds some counter space (also holds my butane burner).

I already had the electronics; I made the console from scrap plywood I had hanging around plus a small piece of furniture grade stuff for the lid (also hanging around). The only expense was some hardware and spray paint (about $3).

This is just a working mockup so I would have something for the stereo and VHF without drilling holes (that I'll likely change my mind about later). The final version will not have the speaker; the stereo & VHF will be lower and side by side. This will lower the burner; it's a little too close to the shelf behind the unit. I'll also add a fiddle to the edge of the lid and some cleats to hold the burner in place.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post

Like our dear friend bl, I've used the West pumps through gallons of resins, and I've never been disappointed with the mix. But those pumps aren't cheap (make that inexpensive) and that always rubbed me a little against the grain.

Fast forward a couple of projects. I had numerous spots that needed the strength of epoxy but not the volume even one pump of the West pumps delivered. I wound up using some MAS epoxy, which has a 2:1 mix ratio. Looking for the convenience of the metered pump (but without the cost) I raided our recycling bin and pulled out a couple of Dial liquid hand soap dispensers. I cleaned them up and grabbed our digital kitchen scale. I did some consistency checks using water as the medium, comparing the weight of single and multiple strokes of both pumps. Guess what? They were pretty much dead on. So, after charging them with the MAS resin and hardener, I now have a "metered" pump set for small batches of epoxy.

I also used to have to make small batches of epoxy and HATED wasting a full stroke of each. I switched to MAS and bought a bunch of 50 ml mixing cups from Jamestown Distributors. A trip to the grocery store to buy a set of ketchup and mustard squeeze bottles for about $4... (do you see where this is going?) and voila! I squirt out 10 or 15 ml of resin, and half as much hardener to bring it up to 15 or 22.5 ml and there you go!
Added benefit is I can store the epoxy some place cool and keep the squirt bottles in my shop to fill up when necessary.
Old 09-04-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I also used to have to make small batches of epoxy and HATED wasting a full stroke of each. I switched to MAS and bought a bunch of 50 ml mixing cups from Jamestown Distributors. A trip to the grocery store to buy a set of ketchup and mustard squeeze bottles for about $4... (do you see where this is going?) and voila! I squirt out 10 or 15 ml of resin, and half as much hardener to bring it up to 15 or 22.5 ml and there you go!
Added benefit is I can store the epoxy some place cool and keep the squirt bottles in my shop to fill up when necessary.
I'm currently using a 4-1 ratio epoxy and I use the same graduated cup system. I have to admit I prefer 2-1 or 1-1 ratios but the cups make accuracy simple with any ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-05-2012
Pirate Chief

Paddyd is on a distinguished road

both the table and the netting I will be doing this wekend
Old 09-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

excellent!
pics, man, we need pics!!

Old 09-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
Console for stereo, VHF, and one speaker:

It fits where the stove should be and adds some counter space (also holds my butane burner).

I already had the electronics; I made the console from scrap plywood I had hanging around plus a small piece of furniture grade stuff for the lid (also hanging around). The only expense was some hardware and spray paint (about $3).

This is just a working mockup so I would have something for the stereo and VHF without drilling holes (that I'll likely change my mind about later). The final version will not have the speaker; the stereo & VHF will be lower and side by side. This will lower the burner; it's a little too close to the shelf behind the unit. I'll also add a fiddle to the edge of the lid and some cleats to hold the burner in place.
Hey, hey,this is the low-buck thread- there ain't no "working mock-ups" if it's working, it aint no mock-up- it's done. if it AIN'T working...it's a "pre-production prototype."

All kidding aside, it looks slick. but don't get rid of the functionality of the galley stove.

Old 09-08-2012
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road

As for cushioning on the cockpit railings, i figured this out:

It's pipeline insulation for houses (smallest size) at 75 Eurocent/meter covered in black ducktape.
I copied this idea from a competition sailboat I saw once.

Old 09-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartvdv View Post
As for cushioning on the cockpit railings, i figured this out:

It's pipeline insulation for houses (smallest size) at 75 Eurocent/meter covered in black ducktape.
I copied this idea from a competition sailboat I saw once.
When we did ours we slid a piece of plastic pipe inside the insulation.. you'll find the wire will cut through the foam in relatively short order wherever you lean on it. We also covered the works with a Sunbrella sleeve to match the canvas.
Steady Hand likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-08-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Those look like fairly beefy lifelines . . .