Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree819Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
West marine fender holder in ss. Exactly the right size to mount a lite cylinder propane tank and keep it off my new teak. Beats milk crate any day, spacing allows easy building of a panel for the two stage regulator, solenoid and running hoses vertical to proper fittings in the deck. Cost me 55$ for the fender basket, and 30$ for the pair of proper thru deck fittings. Much better than typical cable ones or clamshell types imo.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-uploadfromtaptalk1349815000208.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-uploadfromtaptalk1349815180102.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I am restoring a Nor'sea 27 that sank. The engine and engine controls and all the associated electrics were ruined. I installed a reconditioned Yanmar 2QM15 that I bought a few years ago and new engine controls.

Finding a Type B engine control and instrument panel (key switch; push to start button; high temp and low lube oil pressure lamps; buzzer) for the cockpit was problematic because they are no longer made (and have a list price of over $1000 if one were available).

I checked the wiring diagram in the engine manual and decided to build my own. I had an old ignition switch in my toolkit (free). I bought two dashboard indicating lamps (about 2.50 each) and a push to start switch (about 7.00) from an online hot rod supply warehouse and a couple of 12V buzzers from Amazon (about 3.00 each).

I finished a piece of half inch okume plywood that was a cutoff from another project with Interlux Brightside; drilled holes and installed the push switch and indicators; and installed the plywood panel in the cockpit. I mounted the ignition switch and the buzzers inboard. After wiring the system it worked perfectly - provides engine start controls and visual and audible instrumentation for high temp and low oil pressure- and cost me less than twenty bucks.

I used a little dolfinite to seal the indicators in their holes and a little BoatLife caulk to seal the panel against the cockpit well bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-engine-panel.jpg  
magicmoments likes this.
Old 10-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I am restoring a Nor'sea 27 that sank. The engine and engine controls and all the associated electrics were ruined. I installed a reconditioned Yanmar 2QM15 that I bought a few years ago and new engine controls.

Finding a Type B engine control and instrument panel (key switch; push to start button; high temp and low lube oil pressure lamps; buzzer) for the cockpit was problematic because they are no longer made (and have a list price of over $1000 if one were available).

I checked the wiring diagram in the engine manual and decided to build my own. I had an old ignition switch in my toolkit (free). I bought two dashboard indicating lamps (about 2.50 each) and a push to start switch (about 7.00) from an online hot rod supply warehouse and a couple of 12V buzzers from Amazon (about 3.00 each).

I finished a piece of half inch okume plywood that was a cutoff from another project with Interlux Brightside; drilled holes and installed the push switch and indicators; and installed the plywood panel in the cockpit. I mounted the ignition switch and the buzzers inboard. After wiring the system it worked perfectly - provides engine start controls and visual and audible instrumentation for high temp and low oil pressure- and cost me less than twenty bucks.

I used a little dolfinite to seal the indicators in their holes and a little BoatLife caulk to seal the panel against the cockpit well bulkhead.
Nicely done. What did you do for an engine kill switch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-10-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

SJB:
Interrogative "kill switch"?

I put the engine stop cable control just below and to starboard inside the main companionway adjacent to the main battery and engine ignition switches. There is no electrical "kill switch."
Old 10-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
SJB:
Interrogative "kill switch"?

I put the engine stop cable control just below and to starboard inside the main companionway adjacent to the main battery and engine ignition switches. There is no electrical "kill switch."
Good spot for it. Mine is (was) a push button, like a start button, that activated a solenoid "cable puller".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-11-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Before I get jumped on by the people that say how important quality is in LED's ...I will be happy if my cheap ones last for half of the 100,000 hours of the quality ones...

I bought 3 lights for 1.25 each at the dollar store...I broke them down...daisy chained them together...3 batteries are 4.5 volts each so they seem to handle the 12volt system well and aren't bothered by the charging load while running...I now have LED cabin lights for a total cost of $3.75 each...
https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/sailnet%201

Any storm in a port...
Old 10-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

An update on some older low-buck projects:

Dock Six Chronicles: Low-Buck Long Term Review: Hits and Misses, Part 1

eherlihy likes this.

Old 10-24-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Thanks for that. You ARE a busy bee.
Old 10-24-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
Before I get jumped on by the people that say how important quality is in LED's ...I will be happy if my cheap ones last for half of the 100,000 hours of the quality ones...

I bought 3 lights for 1.25 each at the dollar store...I broke them down...daisy chained them together...3 batteries are 4.5 volts each so they seem to handle the 12volt system well and aren't bothered by the charging load while running...I now have LED cabin lights for a total cost of $3.75 each...
https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/sailnet%201
I need a password for that link or do I have to setup an account?

I'd like to see the pictures,

Sum

==========================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 10-25-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the truth.

Others should do the same.