Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 47 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree819Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #461  
Old 10-09-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 377
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
West marine fender holder in ss. Exactly the right size to mount a lite cylinder propane tank and keep it off my new teak. Beats milk crate any day, spacing allows easy building of a panel for the two stage regulator, solenoid and running hoses vertical to proper fittings in the deck. Cost me 55$ for the fender basket, and 30$ for the pair of proper thru deck fittings. Much better than typical cable ones or clamshell types imo.





Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-uploadfromtaptalk1349815000208.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-uploadfromtaptalk1349815180102.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #462  
Old 10-10-2012
fryewe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gulf Coast.
Posts: 1,156
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 10
fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I am restoring a Nor'sea 27 that sank. The engine and engine controls and all the associated electrics were ruined. I installed a reconditioned Yanmar 2QM15 that I bought a few years ago and new engine controls.

Finding a Type B engine control and instrument panel (key switch; push to start button; high temp and low lube oil pressure lamps; buzzer) for the cockpit was problematic because they are no longer made (and have a list price of over $1000 if one were available).

I checked the wiring diagram in the engine manual and decided to build my own. I had an old ignition switch in my toolkit (free). I bought two dashboard indicating lamps (about 2.50 each) and a push to start switch (about 7.00) from an online hot rod supply warehouse and a couple of 12V buzzers from Amazon (about 3.00 each).

I finished a piece of half inch okume plywood that was a cutoff from another project with Interlux Brightside; drilled holes and installed the push switch and indicators; and installed the plywood panel in the cockpit. I mounted the ignition switch and the buzzers inboard. After wiring the system it worked perfectly - provides engine start controls and visual and audible instrumentation for high temp and low oil pressure- and cost me less than twenty bucks.

I used a little dolfinite to seal the indicators in their holes and a little BoatLife caulk to seal the panel against the cockpit well bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-engine-panel.jpg  
magicmoments likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #463  
Old 10-10-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,744
Thanks: 56
Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I am restoring a Nor'sea 27 that sank. The engine and engine controls and all the associated electrics were ruined. I installed a reconditioned Yanmar 2QM15 that I bought a few years ago and new engine controls.

Finding a Type B engine control and instrument panel (key switch; push to start button; high temp and low lube oil pressure lamps; buzzer) for the cockpit was problematic because they are no longer made (and have a list price of over $1000 if one were available).

I checked the wiring diagram in the engine manual and decided to build my own. I had an old ignition switch in my toolkit (free). I bought two dashboard indicating lamps (about 2.50 each) and a push to start switch (about 7.00) from an online hot rod supply warehouse and a couple of 12V buzzers from Amazon (about 3.00 each).

I finished a piece of half inch okume plywood that was a cutoff from another project with Interlux Brightside; drilled holes and installed the push switch and indicators; and installed the plywood panel in the cockpit. I mounted the ignition switch and the buzzers inboard. After wiring the system it worked perfectly - provides engine start controls and visual and audible instrumentation for high temp and low oil pressure- and cost me less than twenty bucks.

I used a little dolfinite to seal the indicators in their holes and a little BoatLife caulk to seal the panel against the cockpit well bulkhead.
Nicely done. What did you do for an engine kill switch?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #464  
Old 10-10-2012
fryewe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gulf Coast.
Posts: 1,156
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 10
fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

SJB:
Interrogative "kill switch"?

I put the engine stop cable control just below and to starboard inside the main companionway adjacent to the main battery and engine ignition switches. There is no electrical "kill switch."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #465  
Old 10-10-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,744
Thanks: 56
Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
SJB:
Interrogative "kill switch"?

I put the engine stop cable control just below and to starboard inside the main companionway adjacent to the main battery and engine ignition switches. There is no electrical "kill switch."
Good spot for it. Mine is (was) a push button, like a start button, that activated a solenoid "cable puller".
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #466  
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lund British Columbia
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Bob142 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Before I get jumped on by the people that say how important quality is in LED's ...I will be happy if my cheap ones last for half of the 100,000 hours of the quality ones...

I bought 3 lights for 1.25 each at the dollar store...I broke them down...daisy chained them together...3 batteries are 4.5 volts each so they seem to handle the 12volt system well and aren't bothered by the charging load while running...I now have LED cabin lights for a total cost of $3.75 each...
https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/sailnet%201
__________________
Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #467  
Old 10-24-2012
bljones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 32
Thanked 72 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 7
bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

An update on some older low-buck projects:

Dock Six Chronicles: Low-Buck Long Term Review: Hits and Misses, Part 1

eherlihy likes this.
__________________
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #468  
Old 10-24-2012
Ritchard's Avatar
No more curry buffets
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 381
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Thanks for that. You ARE a busy bee.
__________________
Bashing about on Lake Ontario and Beyond
"Ariel" '79 Endeavour 32
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #469  
Old 10-24-2012
Sumner10's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
Before I get jumped on by the people that say how important quality is in LED's ...I will be happy if my cheap ones last for half of the 100,000 hours of the quality ones...

I bought 3 lights for 1.25 each at the dollar store...I broke them down...daisy chained them together...3 batteries are 4.5 volts each so they seem to handle the 12volt system well and aren't bothered by the charging load while running...I now have LED cabin lights for a total cost of $3.75 each...
https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/sailnet%201
I need a password for that link or do I have to setup an account?

I'd like to see the pictures,

Sum

==========================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #470  
Old 10-25-2012
therapy23's Avatar
Back to just the Jon boat
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 911
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8
therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Thanks for the truth.

Others should do the same.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Bob142
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low buck bow thruster?? wildcard Gear & Maintenance 48 12-23-2013 08:09 PM
LEDs afloat GoodOldBoat Good Old Boat 31 08-04-2013 12:24 AM
Off-Season Boat Projects Tom Wood Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 01-15-2006 07:00 PM
Basic Thoughts on Tides Jim Sexton Learning to Sail Articles 0 11-17-2003 07:00 PM
Basic Thoughts on Tides Jim Sexton Seamanship Articles 0 11-17-2003 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.