Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I completed my first major project on my new boat, whew! And since it was a low buck project I thought I would publish.☺ This is not ground breaking or earth shattering stuff but I feel great about it. The boat came with the primary fuel filter (500MA) placed where it literally could not be serviced. The T-bolt was too close to the ceiling of the engine room so it could not be removed without UNSCREWING a panel from the aft berth storage cabinet. The bowl of the filter was 1.5 inches straight above the exhaust hose and draining would turn into a huge mess every time. As I do not carry a crew of Lilliputians that could pull this off I needed to move it. The dealer offered to move it over 5 inches and lower it but this would only be a slight improvement as the access doors to get in this space are tiny and would require a longer reach to get at it. The end solution was to put it on the outside engine room bulkhead in my storage/shop area.

I had to extend the both fuel lines about 18 inches so I bought (two) two barb fittings, eight hose clamps, wall grommets, hose clips, and a yard of A1 fuel line. Then there was the bolt that I dropped into never never land that had to be replaced (need to find that someday). Also the 500MA required a 23mm wrench that I didn’t have. Additionally, I decided to change to 10 micron filter (was 30) because it is much easier to replace now. So, (only) three trips to the local hardware/marine store. I also ordered a quick drain valve fitting, from KTI Systems, which replaces the drain bolt on the Racor, not installed yet. All in all, spent $50 on a setup that is 10x safer.

The end goal is that my wife or I will be able to drain the bowl and change the filter in less than 30 seconds, without fuel in the bilge or a single bruised knuckle. I will also be able to easily drain out an ounce or so prior to every use to remove any standing gunk in the bowl. I was able to validate the low-pressure fuel line bleeding process, easy, worked perfectly.

Future fuel system upgrades
- Vacuum gauge with alarm
- New fuel tank selector manifold, the current one is brain dead and does not allow you to select which tank receives the fuel return. I will at that point make all the lines continuous without the dual barb connector.
- Maybe a dual filter system, thinking about that, not sure that it is needed now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!
I just received a note from my dealer, Beneteau is going to give me a check for $65 for parts/effort to move the filter while my boat is under warranty! It makes sense, but hugely unexpected!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached pictures are the before and after.

Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-old-position.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-after.jpg  
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by kellysails; 12-17-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

My low buck project. An O'day Javelin. Picked her up last year and just brought her home.
Everybody needs a project to keep them out of trouble and busy for the off season.

jrd22 and FirstCandC like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-01-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Replaced the old and nasty white plastic box that housed the electronics at the helm station with a box I made from some scrap teak I got from a neighbor at the dock, a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot, and a couple of plastic cupholders from West Marine. Total cost was about $20 bucks, not including the ratcheting crimper I bought to make up the electrical connections in the box.

MarkofSeaLife and Bob142 like this.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Replaced the old and nasty white plastic box that housed the electronics at the helm station with a box I made from some scrap teak I got from a neighbor at the dock, a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot, and a couple of plastic cupholders from West Marine. Total cost was about $20 bucks, not including the ratcheting crimper I bought to make up the electrical connections in the box.

Nice piece. I'd recommend against using ogee or other finely cut edges on deck though - very difficult to keep a finish on them. Simple roundovers are far more practical.
Faster, Group9 and Sea Dawg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-01-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

It looks terrific!

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
Old 01-01-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

Nice job! I have an E-32 on the SW side of Florida, and have been looking for a way to mount electronics to the pedestal guard. How did you attach the box to the ped. guard?
Old 01-01-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by algee View Post
Nice job! I have an E-32 on the SW side of Florida, and have been looking for a way to mount electronics to the pedestal guard. How did you attach the box to the ped. guard?
Thanks...I through-bolted the box to the brackets at the tops of the pedestal verticals. It's amazingly stout.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-01-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by algee View Post
I've also got an E32. I went the not-entirely-scottish route and bought a used navpod. That was okay, about $50 on eBay, but the new pedestal guard and pedestal plate was $spendy! Looks slick though, and fits everything nicely.
Old 01-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Nice!

Down
Old 01-29-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Come, on, it's winter. You all must be up to some cheapskatery! There hasn't been a post in three weeks.

Inspired by the solar vent repair thread,

Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

I thought I should try and make my vents work better. One was noisy, one was impotent. I took them off and brought them home to tinker. So last night I took them all apart and got going with my multimeter ( I love a multimeter). I found that one solar cell was pretty well pooched, and one motor as suspected had bad bearings and was quite noisy. I figured I could likely pick up spares at the big (and fun) electronics surplus shop. But I thought, maybe I can find what I need on eBay, save a trip and have them mailed.

I searched "round solar cell" and found this:

It's exactly what I already have! Looking more closely, some previous owner had bought these inexpensive solar exhaust fans, painted them white, and installed them under a presumably already existing chrome trim ring. Now, this is me cheaping out a bit, not replacing them with some $150 "marine" unit, but the last set would have lasted at least 7 years for the previous owner. For $80 the pair shipped, I figure I am well ahead, even if they only last another 7 years.

I think I will take them apart and try to install a rechargeable lithium battery of some kind, I have to figure out the optimal voltage of these units. is there a trick I need to know, some circuitry involved in putting in a battery?

R