Like Tree936Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
Come, on, it's winter. You all must be up to some cheapskatery! There hasn't been a post in three weeks.

Inspired by the solar vent repair thread,

Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

I thought I should try and make my vents work better. One was noisy, one was impotent. I took them off and brought them home to tinker. So last night I took them all apart and got going with my multimeter ( I love a multimeter). I found that one solar cell was pretty well pooched, and one motor as suspected had bad bearings and was quite noisy. I figured I could likely pick up spares at the big (and fun) electronics surplus shop. But I thought, maybe I can find what I need on eBay, save a trip and have them mailed.

I searched "round solar cell" and found this:

Solar Panel Roof Vent (round) Green House, RV, Shed Fan | eBay

It's exactly what I already have! Looking more closely, some previous owner had bought these inexpensive solar exhaust fans, painted them white, and installed them under a presumably already existing chrome trim ring. Now, this is me cheaping out a bit, not replacing them with some $150 "marine" unit, but the last set would have lasted at least 7 years for the previous owner. For $80 the pair shipped, I figure I am well ahead, even if they only last another 7 years.

I think I will take them apart and try to install a rechargeable lithium battery of some kind, I have to figure out the optimal voltage of these units. is there a trick I need to know, some circuitry involved in putting in a battery?

R
They offer them for $27 direct from there store.

SOLAR POWERED ROOF VENT (Round Base) - SolarSales

I know nothing about the company but happened to go to there website to see if they had anything else useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

You can't just use a lithium battery. Do they not have a battery at all in them now? There would be some circuitry you would need to add a battery to them. There are some that have a battery already, here is one example but it does yellow in the sun and the motors are pretty weak.

Wel-Bilt Solar Vent | Ventilation| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-29-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They offer them for $27 direct from there store.

SOLAR POWERED ROOF VENT (Round Base) - SolarSales

I know nothing about the company but happened to go to there website to see if they had anything else useful.
Quote:
You can't just use a lithium battery. Do they not have a battery at all in them now? There would be some circuitry you would need to add a battery to them. There are some that have a battery already, here is one example but it does yellow in the sun and the motors are pretty weak.

Wel-Bilt Solar Vent | Ventilation| Northern Tool + Equipment
After I got them on eBay (made an offer for $25 plus shipping) I found them in other places as well, by the time you add shipping, it all ended up about the same. I was pretty excited to have found the things on eBay, so I went ahead and got 'em. To reiterate, these are EXACTLY what has been on the boat since I think maybe 2006. With this in mind, I think they are a good choice, as fitment will not be an issue at all.

As part of the marinizing of them, I will take them apart and paint them white with Krylon or something like a previous owner did with the previous set. They currently have no battery, but a poster in the Solar vent repair thread suggested NiCad or NimH instead of lithium, and that a diode to prevent the batteries from discharging into the cell would be advised. Now I plan to get a set of 4 AAA batts for each fan, install them serial/parallel so that they end up at 2.4V, but double the maH capacity from a single pair.

Cheapskateness sometimes isn't as cheap as it first appears, but for me it is also the sport that makes it fun.
Old 01-29-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Yeah, hooking the batteries up will work fine. I'd check the output though, I doubt you would charge the batteries enough to make dual batteries feasible.
Old 02-10-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

My latest contribution. I picked up a 2007 Northstar M84 headunit with a C-Map chip of the local area from a local 2nd hand/consignment store, he had it on sale for $350, I paid him $100.
I then managed to locate a compatible Navman GPS receiver in another consignment store, $20, some aluminium bar ($6) and a TV mounting arm from a local electronics place going out of business ($25).
I fabricated a mounting bracket and fitted it all up today, didn't even have to run power to it as I had left the wires in place when I replaced the busted depth sounder with the bargain TackTick unit.
I now have an 8.4" colour chartplotter/MFD for a whisker under $160

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Sweet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Re: instrument mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
Installing instruments so you can see them while sailing and fold them inside for storage or when its time to drop the chute. It also allows for watching depth while at anchor at night while inside. I did this project on my Santana525 over 10 yrs ago. Plywood scraps, 2 sets of hinges and a couple spring loaded cabinet closure stoppers. When in the folded in position, I did not add additional fastening to hold them in position. I thought of adding magnets, that would have been real bright especially next to the compass!!!! The wire cables had the spiral plastic sheave over them to hold them in a neat bundle. It acted to help position them in the inward position. The main reason behind my madness of mounting the instruments on the folding doors is that I don't like to drill holes in boats........ If a hole is already there I don't mind modification of it.....
This is really innovative. I love it!

Old 02-15-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I've had some success with exterior grade rocks.
I've coated my rocks in varnish for a great look.
bljones likes this.

Old 02-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
I've coated my rocks in varnish for a great look.
Better than coating them with bottom paint.
Razcar likes this.

Old 02-27-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

This is my favourite thread of all time. Need more!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.