LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Greatest thread ever. Thanks to all!
Old 04-07-2013

H2814D is on a distinguished road

Just fabricated a new instrument panel from a piece of white acrylic. All new gauges. Looks much better now. $17.80 for the panel. Oh yea, I guess I spent a little more to replace the instruments, but it was still low considering what "boat bucks" are. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-.jpg  
Faster, Barquito and bristol299bob like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Did this right after the new refrigeration was installed. cheap solar powered remote digital thermometer. Yes it's reading 36

Box is nearly done. Don't know if there's a paint that will stick to polyethylene that the old box is made of. Still need to paint the lid finish the weather strip,and decide on the the sealing the foam to the inside of the bottom

Not hopeful even after reading this: "Krylon® Fusion applies easily to a broad range of plastic surfaces including ABS, PVC, polypropylene, polyethylene, fiberglass and rubber. It also can be used with excellent results on wood and metal, so it is ideal for color-coordinating multiple surfaces when one is plastic." Guess I'll try it someday.

Oday's boxes were well insulated. I did add some on the engine side aft and forward sides.
eherlihy and TakeFive like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-07-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

How about a "project-to-be" that I am going to do.

I have three boys, and a welcome addition would be a screen to show movies. The wiring involved however, with the DVD an all, was over kill. Not to mention the draw of the screen AND DVD player.

At home I have been playing with an Apple TV and it is amazing!

I plan to have a low amp draw flat panel connected to an Apple TV and then a wireless booster. Then I can suck down internet moves like Netflix with this one device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 04-07-2013

Not sure if its here yet, but bags from old sails

bljones likes this.

Latest blog post:
Old 04-08-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
How about a "project-to-be" that I am going to do.

I have three boys, and a welcome addition would be a screen to show movies. The wiring involved however, with the DVD an all, was over kill. Not to mention the draw of the screen AND DVD player.

At home I have been playing with an Apple TV and it is amazing!

I plan to have a low amp draw flat panel connected to an Apple TV and then a wireless booster. Then I can suck down internet moves like Netflix with this one device.
I have an Apple TV at home and love it, in fact I've had two. However the one I now have is an Apple TV 2, and is hacked so that it can be used as a full media player; ie. you can hook it to an outboard drive and play your own movies as well as use the Netflix client, or rent from iTunes. The Apple TV 3 cannot yet be hacked in the same way, so you would be limited to Netflix and iTunes. I would hate to drive anybody away from the company whose stock I own, but you might consider one of the other set top boxes that will allow you to do both - there are several of them. It would help tremendously anytime you're away from a wi-fi signal, such as when you might spend a night at anchor.

Another way you might go is with a full-sized iPad. It is big enough for three boys to watch a movie, plus it does all that other stuff that is great on a boat, from acting as a pretty darned good chartplotter, to storing recipes, to keeping all of your boat's operational manuals in one place. And it is all in one piece, and the current draw is minimal.

That is a topic for a medium-buck thread, however.
medicsix likes this.
Old 04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
you can hook it to an outboard
Does it get good mileage =P
Morild likes this.

Latest blog post:
Old 04-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Did this right after the new refrigeration was installed. cheap solar powered remote digital thermometer.
Denise,

I am doing a very similar project, with a foam block at the bottom of the freezer to reduce it's size. Can you send/post more details about the digital thermostat?

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 04-11-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Hey Brad! it's a digital thermometer. not a thermostat. that is above it and that came with the Norcold equipment. Because they both have sensors in the box the control can be out of the box. I got the little 25DS Digital Thermometers
Most HVAC suppliers have them or something similar.

my current "project"!
Old 04-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Denise. The only digital thermostata I found were hugely expensive. I'd love to find a couple that are 12v and LCD to save power.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .