Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree716Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road
Shower sump solution

I don't know how common this issue is, but this is the problem and the solution:

Problem: My shower drains into a shallow pan that sits in a very shallow part of the bilge. There is no room to put the standard off the shelf sump system (plastic box with a bilge pump and float switch inside). The factory solution was to install a diaphragm pump remotely mounted with the hose connected to a fitting at the bottom of the pan. The pump is operated by a momentary switch in the head compartment. The issue arises when you are taking a shower, the shower pan quickly fills with water and you are standing in ankle deep water by the time you are done. The momentary switch to activate the pump is out of reach while standing in the shower. I considered just replacing the momentary switch with an on/off switch but I did not want to risk either forgetting to turn it off, or having to remember to turn it on before getting in the shower.

Solution:

I put a tee fitting in the shower hose line and installed a 12v pressure switch in the tee. I then wired it back to the momentary switch. Now, whenever you turn on the shower, the pump automatically turns on, shut off the water the pump turns off. Now the pump keeps up with the shower and no more standing water in the head. After a shower, any residual water that makes into the drain pan can be easily removed with a brief press of the momentary switch.

Very cheap and effective solution. A few bucks for plumbing fittings and $22.00 for the pressure switch.

I added the 1/2" Tee where the shower hose connects. A 1/2" nipple at the bottom to connect the shower hose, and a 1/8" bushing facing the wall to accept the threaded end of the pressure switch which is installed from behind the wall through a small hole.

The pressure switch an tee fitting. I decided to use brass instead for the aesthetics, but nylon or PVC will work just as well, and for less money.

This is the box for the pressure switch. $20-$25.00 online or available at most auto parts stores.
bristol299bob likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Shower sump solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
I don't know how common this issue is, but this is the problem and the solution:

Problem: My shower drains into a shallow pan that sits in a very shallow part of the bilge. There is no room to put the standard off the shelf sump system (plastic box with a bilge pump and float switch inside). The factory solution was to install a diaphragm pump remotely mounted with the hose connected to a fitting at the bottom of the pan. The pump is operated by a momentary switch in the head compartment. The issue arises when you are taking a shower, the shower pan quickly fills with water and you are standing in ankle deep water by the time you are done. The momentary switch to activate the pump is out of reach while standing in the shower. I considered just replacing the momentary switch with an on/off switch but I did not want to risk either forgetting to turn it off, or having to remember to turn it on before getting in the shower.

Solution:

I put a tee fitting in the shower hose line and installed a 12v pressure switch in the tee. I then wired it back to the momentary switch. Now, whenever you turn on the shower, the pump automatically turns on, shut off the water the pump turns off. Now the pump keeps up with the shower and no more standing water in the head. After a shower, any residual water that makes into the drain pan can be easily removed with a brief press of the momentary switch.

Very cheap and effective solution. A few bucks for plumbing fittings and $22.00 for the pressure switch.

I added the 1/2" Tee where the shower hose connects. A 1/2" nipple at the bottom to connect the shower hose, and a 1/8" bushing facing the wall to accept the threaded end of the pressure switch which is installed from behind the wall through a small hole.

The pressure switch an tee fitting. I decided to use brass instead for the aesthetics, but nylon or PVC will work just as well, and for less money.

This is the box for the pressure switch. $20-$25.00 online or available at most auto parts stores.

Nice thinking.
Old 04-15-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Well a new Main cover at WM was close to $375, and mine was beat to hell and attached by bungee cord at this point, so I opened up Don Casey's excellent book and got to work:

After spending under $50 on two yards of Sunbrella fabric, I had the thread already, $8 on a YKK zipper, $5 on binding tape and $20 on the twist button attachments (no need for a punch, heated up knife works fine- thanks again don casey) I have a new mainsail cover:

The main is shorter than the boom anyway so why pay for an extra yard of fabric?

$83 and it took about 10 hours total, using the old one as a template. Much, much easier than I thought it would be to tell the truth.

It was so easy, in fact, that for my next project I am going to follow Mr. Casey's directions and use the excess materials to make a mainsheet bag for the cockpit.
Old 04-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Nice work, pete!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

put a piece of teak on the sliding companion way hatch. No finish applied yet but it really pulls the look together and is actually functional by making the lid stronger. the wood was found in scrap pile.
Before;
After

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

How did you attach that piece Denise?

The price is right. I bought a pile of teak in the winter to make a bunch of new pieces and I'm lucky I didn't have to sleep in the garage.
Old 04-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Oh, Ritchard, it's screwed from the back with a bead of sillycone to keep the water from getting behind it. shoulda used sitka flex I guess but it's not really oozing out.

my current "project"!
Old 04-15-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Nice work, pete!
Thanks BL, great thread you started here :-)
Old 04-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

here's a better pic
SloopJonB likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 04-16-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Recently connected my bilge pump alarm to 12v relay, so when the bilge pump (float switch) turns on, the external sensor on my webcam triggers.

Now I get an email whenever the bilge pump turns on. I get an email like this one:

Some short wires and crimped connectors <$10
12v relay from Radio Shack <$10
Total cost: less than $20

(I already have the webcam sending me pictures when it detects motion on the boat. They go for about $50. And it takes about 1.5 amps to drive it and the long range WiFi setup.)

I have a separate, different relay to use when I care more about staying connected to shore power, like in a slip in winter time.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .