Not a Member? 

Like Tree825Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
How bright does it appear compared to the other anchor lights you were near?
Does it burn with full intensity all night?
It lasts about 5 hours full intensity. It is not quite as bright as an anchor light. We use it to supplement the anchor light and for cockpit lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You'd be better off rounding and smoothing those edges or you're going to go through a lot of rope really fast... the sharp corners will eat line for breakfast, especially on the jam cleat part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Already posted in another thread but I made these fiddle blocks.

Total cost: $18.00 (raw materials, bolts)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2009

broggerp is on a distinguished road
(There's not much of a visual on this one -- unless I take a picture of the water next to my boat, with no diesel slick showing!)

A friend suggested this one: a high loop in the hose can be used to eliminate fuel spillage and seawater contamination through the fuel tank vent.

My SJ28ís fuel vent was routed directly to a through-hull vent just below the starboard toe rail. By lengthening the hose, and looping the extra way up inside the aft cabin corner and back down to the through-hull, I avoid spillage from over-filling my tank, and prevent water entry (and/or diesel drainage) at extreme heel.

Way cool, and I didnít have to relocate the vent opening, as Iíd been planning.
Familycruisers likes this.
Old 01-20-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Operation "Quick Fist" was a success. My emergency tiller is now snugly Quick-Fisted to the cockpit locker "wall", out of the way yet ready to grab in an emergency.

Overall, a very good, though somewhat expensive, solution. I paid $10.99 per pair at the West Marine. I used three Fists to mount the tiller. They're slightly cheaper online at cabelas.com and other outfitter sites, but I prefer instant gratification with small purchases.

Installation was easy, except that I attached the Quick Fists with screws instead of through-bolting them. That's strong enough for my purposes. However, getting the drill in place to drive the screws was tricky, requiring me to spread apart the rubber pincers of the Fist. No big deal, but more hassle than it should have been.

I liked Sap's idea of mounting the emergency tiller to the underside of the cockpit locker lid, but it just wouldn't fit.

My wife has already warned me not to sully the good looks of our cabin interior by mounting stuff all over the place, so I have to limit my fun. However, I'm thinking the berths need some handy Mag Lites mounted in convenient locations....
Old 01-21-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Cushions about $60 for materials and that includes the boom box and hanging light.

New table to come made from a folding table from a yard sale.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 01-21-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the materials on those cushions. How comfortable are they for sitting/sleeping.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the materials on those cushions. How comfortable are they for sitting/sleeping.
The seats (bottoms) and the birth are done with a 3/8 plywood base painted with polly sealer.

Padding is 4" foam from a water bed place covered all around with batting and covered with denim from Jo Anns.

The backs are the same but just 1" foam was used.

The material is just streched over the foam and stapled with stainless staples.

The plywood was placed with the natural bow up so that when streaching the fabric it pulled up the ends.

I don't sleep in the dinette but the seating is good.

The v-birth cushions were don the same way but with them running accross. Doing this got rid of the "sleeping in the crack" and also gave ez access to the storage area below. It also kept one side from sliding out.

Sleeps great, like on the couch.

To keep thing from sliding around a little velcro stapled to the backs works well and allows ez removal.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
Old 01-23-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I hope this works since I am having trouble including the photo.

This was a very low budget addition that worked very well when we cruised to Nova Scotia last summer. There is a foul weather locker in the after head of my J40 but it was always a mess and no matter how hard I tried to impress the crew on the importance of keeping organized, things always got out of hand when it got rough.

I made the storage compartments out of Sunbrealla and 1/2 plywood. Each crew member has three of the vertical compartments, the top one for the jacket, the middle for the pants and the bottom for harness/inflatable lifejacket. There is also room for boots in the bottom slot with cutouts for the boots to hag upside down to drain. Nothing dries very well when rolled and stuffed this way but when you're in bad weather on a small boat nothing dries anyway, unless you have a heated space. Ya just gotta wait for the sun.

A couple of yards of sunbrealla and a piece of scrap plywood is my definition of cheap. (the grommets in the photo were put there because I thought I would need shock cord to keep the stuff from falling out when heeled. Turns out I didn't need it because it's tight enough to keep everything in.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-fwg-lkr-2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-fwg-copy.jpg  
melody1204 likes this.

Last edited by genieskip; 01-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2009

All wood from neighbors discarded Futon. Locker hides 6 gal. fuel tank for outboard.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
Old 01-24-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Poor man stand up blocks

Poor man stand up blocks.

if you need standup blocks, in this case, for the Spinnaker sheets , I don't like to have springs and other systems that more than often end up snagging some of the lines, in all rearwards blocks, and cockpit area...

So, to modify your regular blocks into stand up blocks, I often use the "poor man" standing block...

since 1980 I use tennis balls underneath the blocks to keep them up, and this is a good idea for dinghies where we sail barefoot most of the time and kicking the foot of a block with your toes hurts like a devil, and because its more difficult for the block to snag and hold a line that is accidentaly near it..

So this is what I do:

You will need a block, a padeye (off course attached to the deck, cabin or whatever), and a tenis ball or other soft rubber ball that is hollow and fits the size...

Attach the block as ususal to measure the height between the block and the deck/cabin...

Take a tennis bal and cut a round hole on one side, that has to be wide enough to pass the block shaft...

On the opposite side cut a slot, that is as long as the length of the padeye. Don't be affraid to cut, watch your fingers..

Install the block shaft thru the hole, attach the shackle thru the slot underneath, and attach to the padeye..

BINGO there you have the POOR MAN STANDING BLOCK

You may also cut the ball in half if you need to get different heights...experiment..generaly the more you cut the ball the softer it will be and the more flexible it will be.

This is what I use for my spinnaker standing blocks..

And I have to admit...when you look at a boat, and you see these little tricks applied, such as the tennis ball under a block...one can imediately tell there is someone that knows what he is doing on the boat...I think it also makes the boat look really sporty and racey...

Ahh gets better, you can use many colours, as long as tenins industry paints them, and once dirty, just get a new ball.....

Good luck

Alex