Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Why was your dog using your phone?

Wait.... you're this guy??!!??

http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/
not me
no balls were involved in the soaking of the phone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

David, I believe the erasers are microfiber that "disintegrates" as it is used, kind of like a solid block of rubbing compound. I love them, they are one of my favorite inventions. They do leave behind a residue, though, so I agree with the rinsing idea.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I've also learned, on a new surface, to test the Magic Eraser in an inconspicuous spot. It can effect some finishes (making them more matte). I wouldn't use them on the hull or glossy painted surfaces.
Old 04-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
David, I believe the erasers are microfiber that "disintegrates" as it is used, kind of like a solid block of rubbing compound. I love them, they are one of my favorite inventions. They do leave behind a residue, though, so I agree with the rinsing idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I've also learned, on a new surface, to test the Magic Eraser in an inconspicuous spot. It can effect some finishes (making them more matte). I wouldn't use them on the hull or glossy painted surfaces.
Yes the magic erasers are quite abrasive. I think I have read that they are about equivalent to 1500 grit sand paper. It has been awhile, but I used to frequent a lot of car detailing forums.
Old 04-25-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Replaced the old and nasty white plastic box that housed the electronics at the helm station with a box I made from some scrap teak I got from a neighbor at the dock, a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot, and a couple of plastic cupholders from West Marine. Total cost was about $20 bucks, not including the ratcheting crimper I bought to make up the electrical connections in the box.

Man, that looks great! You have given me my next project!

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-27-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Ok this was not technically difficult but on a Rate of Return scale of Low $ spent / Highly improved esthetics I am happy.

The Honda had been in an apartment locker for 3 years. When I got it I immediately dropped it off at my local Honda dealer for a tune up. (Markham Honda Power Sports....nice folks) That ended up costing me not just for a tune up but a new impeller and impeller case. I know that I should be able to DIY but I just do not have the time this year with work work and boat work. I will learn though quickly.

For this paint job I elected to mask the HONDA decals even though they are scratched up a bit. The decals are not cheap to replace: the "four stroke" is $19 X2...I just cannot justify that coin. I paid $12 for the pebbly finish spray paint. Masking tape I already owned.

IMO the end result looks pretty good for the 98% of the world that will be looking at my engine as I sail by them. For the 2% who will be in the cockpit with me....just keep your eyes forward scanning for the enemy and pay no heed to the engine cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img-20130420-00028-small-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img-20130420-00027-small-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-gh011217-small-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-gh011219-small-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-gh011218-small-.jpg  

Barquito and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Old 04-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Not really a project, but definitely low-buck. The launch of the long-term test of the low-buck VHF:

Dock Six Chronicles: Gear and Tool Review: Short Money Hand-held VHF Radio

Old 04-28-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Not really a project, but definitely low-buck. The launch of the long-term test of the low-buck VHF:

Dock Six Chronicles: Gear and Tool Review: Short Money Hand-held VHF Radio

I've got a Cobra VHF I paid $60 for. If nothing else, its good to use to send the wife up to the front of the boat to listen and see if the main VHF is working.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-28-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've got a Cobra VHF I paid $60 for. If nothing else, its good to use to send the wife up to the front of the boat to listen and see if the main VHF is working.
Don't know what part of the world you are posting from but the automated radio check on Channel 27, sponsored by Sea Tow, is FAR superior to your method. See http://www.seatow.com/boating-safety...d-radio-checks

Where I am (Upper Chessie), they have at least two stations (Annapolis and Great Oaks Landing) that my 20 year old basic VHF reaches.

OK, OK, I admit it is a stretch to call this a 'project' but it is definitely 'low bucks' (free!). I hope pointing out this service out helps someone. If nothing else, it might reduce the stupid radio checks on Ch16 followed by the inevitable admonishments by USCG.

[Note added in proof: Sorry, I have no idea why sailnet mangles the URL. It looks fine when I submit it and I tried to fix it but SN does its mangling. Just google it...]
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 04-28-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: sailnet mangling URL
Old 04-28-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Don't know what part of the world you are posting from but the automated radio check on Channel 27, sponsored by Sea Tow, is FAR superior to your method. See http://www.seatow.com/boating-safety...d-radio-checks

Where I am (Upper Chessie), they have at least two stations (Annapolis and Great Oaks Landing) that my 20 year old basic VHF reaches.

OK, OK, I admit it is a stretch to call this a 'project' but it is definitely 'low bucks' (free!). I hope pointing out this service out helps someone. If nothing else, it might reduce the stupid radio checks on Ch16 followed by the inevitable admonishments by USCG.

[Note added in proof: Sorry, I have no idea why sailnet mangles the URL. It looks fine when I submit it and I tried to fix it but SN does its mangling. Just google it...]
I didn't know about this. Thanks.
I'll remember this when I move East.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell