Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

As usual TakeFive is correct.. the blue-light won't work in some nav lights.

HOWEVER, you might be able to get the right "color" out of your LED nav lights if you get the right "white" out of your LEDs.

Look for a fuller spectrum white (warm white) LED and you might still be A-OK.

I know when I bought my PERKO replacement bulbs, they were certified for this use, still a bargain, and fit into this "low buck project" thread.

NO I am not working for this company.. and I am sure you can buy them elsewhere.
Perko Atwood Hella 31mm Festoon LED Replacement Bulbs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
As usual TakeFive is correct.. the blue-light won't work in some nav lights.

HOWEVER, you might be able to get the right "color" out of your LED nav lights if you get the right "white" out of your LEDs.

Look for a fuller spectrum white (warm white) LED and you might still be A-OK.

I know when I bought my PERKO replacement bulbs, they were certified for this use, still a bargain, and fit into this "low buck project" thread.

NO I am not working for this company.. and I am sure you can buy them elsewhere.
Perko Atwood Hella 31mm Festoon LED Replacement Bulbs
While I have recommended marine beam as well, and plan on using them for any interior lights I think they are playing games with the "approved" line. They do not really claim to be certified, only that they are brighter than stock bulbs.

Quote:
These lamps are MUCH brighter than the original incandescent festoons, and easily meet the 2nm visibility requirements.
They don't really claim them to be certified only that they can be seen more than 2 miles away. There is more to the spec than 2 nautical miles visibility. They have to be a very specific color and they make no claim of even meeting the requirements. For me I think it is best to just replace the fixture with one that is designed for use with LEDs. I have to agree that if you are on a trailer sailor on a small inland lake, and you are going to only be overnight sailing occasionally then it likely does not matter. But if you are going to be out often or in areas that might have more heavy traffic then I would get the official fixtures with LEDs in them. My only concern is that if you are involved in an accident at night, and your lights do not meet spec you could be held liable for this incident. The easiest way to prove that it meets spec is to show the label of the package that says "approved by Coast Guard" that shows that you at least believed they met them and that you had not "modified" them.

Also if you have fixtures that are not approved for use with LEDs they may have corroded connections anyway so it is not a bad idea to replace them anyway. LEDs seem to be more sensitive to corrosion and the resultant fluctuation in current.
Old 05-06-2013

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR

On our new-to-us Irwin, the connecting canvas between the dodger and bimini blocked our view of the main and forward from the helm, so we bought a small sheet of window material from Sailrite and this weekend I sewed us a window!

Total cost: less than $60

I'm pleased with how this turned out - we are also contemplating a smaller "moon roof" in our bimini, again for sail visibility reasons.

Before:

With new "window":

Last edited by MMR; 05-09-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added cost info
Old 05-06-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I have a bunch of original lights in the cabin. I think many of them have wiring issues (corroded switches, etc.). I'd still like to keep the housings (I like the aesthetic) and replacing the innards and switches with LED lights. A trick like that shown above would be a great way to get LED's in there easily.
You could try superbrightleds.com. They have replacement led inserts for every lamp you could imagine. I've ordered from them a number of times over the last few years. I got an LED lamp for my anchor light that totally kicked the butt of the incandescent original lumens-wise, and it was about $8.
jimgo likes this.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Sort of on this topic, I've got some beautiful, extremely high quality gimbaled brass oil lamps. One was a wedding present from my wife and we got its exact mate with a subsequent boat purchase.

I'd like to convert them to LED so they would be more than decorations.

Anybody have any links or info on doing that? I'm particularly interested in what to do to replace the mantle with some sort of fitting to electrify them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That shouldn't be difficult at all. Do you have any pictures? Do you want them to be battery operated (stand-alone), 12v, or 110?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
That shouldn't be difficult at all. Do you have any pictures? Do you want them to be battery operated (stand-alone), 12v, or 110?
I don't have any pics right now. I'll have to unwrap one and take a pic or three. They have a pretty standard mantle that screws into the top of a ballasted tank/base.

I want them to be hard wired 12V to be used as the cabin lights.

The mantle has to stay because it retains the glass chimney. I haven't given it much thought yet but I think some sort of receptacle will have to be soldered to the mantle where the wick comes through.

Right now I'm simply looking for possible options - hoping someone here has done something similar.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

Here are the pics. I started with the fully assembled lamp and then took pieces off one by one so you can see how the glass chimney and globe are retained.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-001.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-002.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-003.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-lamp-004-001.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Those are beautiful; Oil lamps are a nice alternative to batteries, especially when yours are flat. just my .02

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Here are the pics. I started with the fully assembled lamp and then took pieces off one by one so you can see how the glass chimney and globe are retained.
I'm sorry, those can't be converted. You can just send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

No?

Darn, that never seems to work.

It looks to me like those are the right diameter to use the Christmas-style lights (the fake candles that you put in your window). You could scavange the innards from one of those lights and install it in the lamp, bringing the cord down into the base. You'll have to put a hole in the lamp somewhere to allow the cord to exit, which will ruin the base so you won't be able to put in any oil, but that seems consistent with your plans anyway.

What I'd consider, though, is running those off of batteries. If the top comes off, you should be able to use the oil bowl/base as a holder for the batteries, and simply run the wire up the wick tube to the scavenged lamp base.
1975 Albacore 15