Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

They are very nice ones. The first one cost my wife a couple of days pay when we got married. I always kept my eyes open for a mate for it but never found one until we bought a boat 23 years later. It had a deck box full of a variety of them and one was an exact match - intact glass and all. What are the chances?

I had thought of removing the wick adjuster and running the wire out the hole but your idea of batteries is very interesting - that would leave them intact to convert back to oil if I wanted. A couple of AA's would fit no problem and last a very long time from what I understand about LED's.

Thanks for the idea - I'll have to check out what's available - I'm not familiar with the lights you mentioned. Might even be able to scavenge the parts from a $2 LED flashlight - I have several on hand.

This place is amazing!
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Here's what I meant:
9.5" Battery Operated Christmas Candle Lamp

I thought you could add an LED bulb in place of the incandescent, if you were so inclined, but the bulb would still give you the "flame-like" look. However, the LED flashlight idea could work, too.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
A couple of AA's would fit no problem and last a very long time from what I understand about LED's.
I have a couple LED "candles" that have a nice yellow color and flicker a little bit. They're on timers and run 6 hours a day, every day, and two AAs last several months, although they do get dimmer towards the end. I got them at Home Depot last Christmas, but I can't remember the brand name. Anyway, they'd look pretty nice wired into those beautiful lamps.
Old 05-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

Those are even better ideas. I wasn't too concerned about the shape of the bulb because the globe is 1/2 frosted but they would look better - if they fit inside the inner chimney.

Thanks.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-08-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I needed a knob for the Perko main disconnect battery switch. I bought a 3/4" grey PVC end cap that is used for closing the end of a pipe. I filled it with epoxy thickened with saw dust. Drilled a 1/4" hole about a half inch deep in the epoxy. Cut an indicator notch into the top of the cap and inked the notch with a black Sharpie marker. Gorilla glued it to the stem. Total cost $0.23
Bene505 and dvuyxx like this.
Old 05-08-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Sloop -

My oil lamp is the best thing about my boat. Yea whale blubber!

dvuyxx and SloopJonB like this.
Old 05-08-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Well, After a year of use, the new cabin sole in my C&C30MK1 are holding up great.We did he work our self and it was under $100 dollars. It was a lot of work taking out the old rotten Teak / holly laminate. It a shame I could not have found the boat a few months earlier. I may could have saved it. One thing to note, I got the stick to each other kind that don't stick to the floor kind. For easy removal. Its been good and Its not to slick. I did find out real quick with the alcohol stove that a splash will destroy the finish.

I cut a build cover out of wood and finished it but the rest is Lowe's 3M flooring 34.00 per box, razor knife. Boom new floor. Cheesey? maybe... But its done and will last for years.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

LTGoshen, I'll be curious to see how it holds up. I would like to put down a nicer floor in my boat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Very few builders are using the traditional veneered 'teak and holly' soles anymore, and many are going to similar products, certainly with a similar look - maybe or maybe not of a more marine-specific construction.

A friend put a HD solid Bamboo planked flooring sole in his Ericson.. looks great, actually, and is standing up quite well after 3-4 years of service. Heavy (scraps didn't float!!), although the weight's not in a bad place...
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

Another attraction to using modern flooring is that you can buy it for next to nothing at liquidation type outfits. They often have single boxes or very small batches of the stuff that are useless to almost everyone because they are orphans in terms of colour & style and there isn't enough to do anything with inside a house.

I've seen single boxes of teak finish laminate with that indestructible titanium dioxide coating for next to nothing - under $20.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.