Like Tree937Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Tim,
Another idea is to use pool noodles. Our dollar store had them. They are a bit thicker, and more comfortable than the pipe insulation (I did the pipe insulation on my old boat).
Definitely a great low buck solution Jim but that would not pass the sniff test by the admiral. Had to be matching Sunbrella and that is where the expense lies. I also wanted to balance the visual obstruction and comfort factors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Covering the hull liner in the Vee was simple as hooking the interlocks together on that gray foam floor matting. On sale at HF @ 4/7.something. I stowed them there before trying to put 'em on the floor and it worked so well, I'm leaving them ! The sole will get sumpin' else.
Old 05-14-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

The foam stuff for hull liner, huh? That actually sounds interesting. Some insulation from sound and temperature and probably doesn't look too bad.

Pics?
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Definitely a great low buck solution Jim but that would not pass the sniff test by the admiral. Had to be matching Sunbrella and that is where the expense lies. I also wanted to balance the visual obstruction and comfort factors.
Tim,
I was suggesting wrapping the noodles in Sunbrella, rather than the pipe insulation. It would still match.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of wrapping large (3" dia) foam noodles with Sunbrella for my dinghy rub rail. I am using contact cement to attach the fabric to the noodles. I slit the noodles lengthwise and used spacers to hold the edges apart while I applied contact cement to one cut edge and the rest of the noodle as well as the fabric. When the cement is ready, I attach one edge of the fabric inside the slit (the cut edge that has the cement on it) and wrap the Sunbrella tightly around the noodle. The bond is instant. After wrapping around the noodle I cut the fabric, overlapping the slit by about an inch. Then I apply contact cement to the other cut edge in the noodle and tuck the remaining fabric in. This sounds complicated but its not. The point is to completely wrap the noodle with Sunbrella with the ends tucked into the slit but without gluing the slit shut. When finished, the noodles will snap over the gunnels of my El Toro dinghy and serve as a continuous fender to protect the mother ship.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Henry
Chiquita
Steady Hand likes this.

Old 05-19-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

The Kelly Kettle is great!

Cooking on shore can have limits when open fires are restricted. We use a Kelly Kettle to boil water and heat a pot of "whatever". It is a double walled aluminum kettle. There is a "pot rack" that sits on the chimney to heat an additional pot. Fuel is small sticks. It is even self regulating because when the water boils it spills into the fire "box" reducing the heat. When we want to boil a liter of water for 40 minutes it is perfect. We use it to "prepare" freeze dried meals. The pot rack allows us to heat anything from a coffee pot to a frying pan. NO OPEN FIRE!

Some photographs here!

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/gfa...Kelly%20Kettle

Down
Blue Eagle likes this.
Old 05-22-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Made a serving tray that will fit on the stove top, I may cut the handles off if they restrict reaching over to the ice box on the boat. Not finished dovetail keys for the corners, sanded or varnished yet. Made from free wood! Like my dining room? engineered maple floor, real cherry for the trim, baseboards and pass through has a real cherry counter top...

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
MMR (05-22-2013), SloopJonB (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Tim,
I was suggesting wrapping the noodles in Sunbrella, rather than the pipe insulation. It would still match.
Gotcha. When I read your post I visualized the bare noodles as I have seen these bare on some boats before. I wanted to keep the obstruction to a minimum. I have built these for previous boats so I knew what worked for us.

Coming down to your neck of the woods next week for a wedding in Lancaster.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
I am in the process of wrapping large (3" dia) foam noodles with Sunbrella for my dinghy rub rail. I am using contact cement to attach the fabric to the noodles. I slit the noodles lengthwise and used spacers to hold the edges apart while I applied contact cement to one cut edge and the rest of the noodle as well as the fabric. When the cement is ready, I attach one edge of the fabric inside the slit (the cut edge that has the cement on it) and wrap the Sunbrella tightly around the noodle. The bond is instant. After wrapping around the noodle I cut the fabric, overlapping the slit by about an inch. Then I apply contact cement to the other cut edge in the noodle and tuck the remaining fabric in. This sounds complicated but its not. The point is to completely wrap the noodle with Sunbrella with the ends tucked into the slit but without gluing the slit shut. When finished, the noodles will snap over the gunnels of my El Toro dinghy and serve as a continuous fender to protect the mother ship.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Henry
Chiquita
Gluing the fabric down is a great idea - saves all that sewing (which I can't do anyway!)

Just out of curiosity, why did you go to all the trouble of slitting noodles instead of simply using pipe insulation?

Also, how did you rig things up to get a straight cut from end to end? I've always found cutting any kind of tubing without having the cut wind around the tube a bit is very difficult without some sort of jig.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-22-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Well. I needed a new holding tank, one was stinkin and only 6 gallons, decided to take advantange of available space so I made one. New one holds 14 gallons and still fits in same location as old one

All said and done I had about $110.00 including hose, fittings and materials.

I posted quite a few pics on my blog, here is the link....i hate resizing pics

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/2013/05/crap.html.

so far it holds water just fine

My two lovely ladies!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruiser2B For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (05-24-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.