Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Here is an instrument pod that I built for a raymariene c90. I molded it out of fiberglass using a rubbermade container as a mold. I also molded the pedestal guard for the area thats inset where it attaches. Because I already had some leftover glass and awl grip the only thing I had to buy was the $6 rubbermade. It still kinda looks like a tupperware container but considering the price of an actual Navpod...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StormBay For This Useful Post:
highcs (09-15-2013), SloopJonB (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Very slick. The indentations on the side look like they are there to provide a mounting spot for bracketed electronics of some sort - VHF etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Well. I needed a new holding tank, one was stinkin and only 6 gallons, decided to take advantange of available space so I made one. New one holds 14 gallons and still fits in same location as old one

All said and done I had about $110.00 including hose, fittings and materials.

I posted quite a few pics on my blog, here is the link....i hate resizing pics

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/2013/05/crap.html.

so far it holds water just fine
A few years from now, after a few weeks of hot July Virginia weather, I don't want to even think of how your porous wood box is gonna stink up your boat. At some point it's going to rot through and leave an awful mess to clean up.

But it was cheap!

Did you consider coating the whole insides with epoxy or barrier coat? At least that would have eliminated the porosity and prevented rotting from inside out.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-22-2013

My nice big fenders would pick up a graphite color from the black dock floats, and then transfer it to my hull as they rolled around:

Fender covers are ridiculously expensive, and they just get disgusting looking anyway, so I made my own from old T-shirts:
They do look like the boating equivalent of trailer trash, but they're functional and cheap enough that I'm not reluctant to change them out whenever needed.

Here's "wit and witout" as they say in South Philly:

oceangirl and Gregrosine like this.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 05-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
A few years from now, after a few weeks of hot July Virginia weather, I don't want to even think of how your porous wood box is gonna stink up your boat. At some point it's going to rot through and leave an awful mess to clean up.

But it was cheap!

Did you consider coating the whole insides with epoxy or barrier coat? At least that would have eliminated the porosity and prevented rotting from inside out.
Read it again - 5 coats of epoxy.
Group9 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-24-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Read it again - 5 coats of epoxy.
That will do the trick. If it wasn't marine ply, it might crack due to voids in the wood. I would have also put a layer of glass in there. But, even if it does leak after 8 or 10 years, just replace it, or repair it (and keep the expensive fittings).
Old 05-24-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

yes, it indeed does have 5 coats of epoxy, I also fiberglass taped all the seems on the inside and used 2 layers on the entire outside of the tank. If that does not work I may just buy a bucket with a long string...

I put water and chemical in the tank for a week here at the house then dumped it. Did not have any evidence of leaking. '

Also, this was my first try at build a structure with wood,epoxy and fiberglass, I think it turned out well. Time will tell.
Group9 likes this.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-24-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:

But it was cheap!

Care to enlighten me on what is funny about trying to complete a DIY project?
I wouldn't call it cheap either, I used good products. I chose this route because I was reading on this board actually about a newer boat with a stainless holding tanks that had corroded. so I figured I'd give it a shot.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Care to enlighten me on what is funny about trying to complete a DIY project?
I wouldn't call it cheap either, I used good products. I chose this route because I was reading on this board actually about a newer boat with a stainless holding tanks that had corroded. so I figured I'd give it a shot.
I initially saw your caption that mentioned epoxy in the joints, but I did not scroll down far enough to see your reference to 5 coats on all the wood surfaces.

I was mistaken. Sorry about the error. Your design and execution look fine. Good job!

I would go back and delete my error, but you guys have saved it for posterity by quoting it. So there's not much I can do at this point.

Old 05-24-2013
Bill SV Rangatira

white74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I initially saw your caption that mentioned epoxy in the joints, but I did not scroll down far enough to see your reference to 5 coats on all the wood surfaces.

I was mistaken. Sorry about the error. Your design and execution look fine. Good job!

I would go back and delete my error, but you guys have saved it for posterity by quoting it. So there's not much I can do at this point.
lesson learned I guess read the whole post before replying
hotdogs likes this.