Like Tree937Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
...As for cutting the slit, a simple knife cut works fine. I admit that my first try had a bit of a spiral to it but I paid closer attention to the second one and it came out fine.
Would a bit of spiral help keep it in place?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road

Might help a little but I chose to glue the finished noodles directly to the dinghy gunwales top and bottom.

From El Toro and Mirror Dinghies

The colored blocks are giant Legos used as spacers to keep the edges of the slip apart so they don't accidentally get glued together.

The black bottom is epoxy mixed with graphite powder to make it slide down my homemade plywood ramp more easily. The heavy rains the last few weeks have caused the lake to be abnormally high, so the shoreline doesn't really show in the pictures. I usually have to cross about 10' of rip rap to get the boat in the water. I slide it over three 2' x 3' plywood panels that are hinged together with zip ties so they fold up for storage against the fence.

This is not my property by the way. It is an empty lot owned by the city and designated "commons." They license about 15 docks and my one mooring buoy for this location, for a nominal fee, of course. I live about a block and a half away and keep my dinghy up against the fence.

bljones and jimgo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road

Here's another super low buck "project" for trailerable boats. Slit some 12" or 18" pool noodles and slip one over each shroud and turnbuckle. Use tape to keep the slits closed. The noodles will protect the deck finish from being scratched by the shroud wires while travelling. I keep the noodles on while raising the mast; they keep the turnbuckles aligned properly and prevent kinks. Once the mast is up, I cut the tape, remove the noodles, and toss them in the back of the van to await the trip home.

From Chiquita
FinallySailing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
In the past, when we dinghy up to the boat it would be dark and one of us would have to turn on the nav lights or cockpit lights to light-up the boarding area.

So this winter I put two LED strip lights on the underside of the bar that connects the dinghy davits. Then I installed 3-way switchs like the kind you have at the top and bottom of your stairs at home. One of the switches is at the nav station. The other is a pull switch, like you see on ceiiing fans or closet lights, with the cord running through a vent to the transom.

When we dinghy up to the boat this summer, we can pull the cord and have instant lights.

It's actually a bit of a surprise for my wife. We'll see if she likes it.

Regards,
Brad
She loved it. We finally got back to the boat at night, earlier this week. I said "Pull the cord." The 7 feet of LED strip under the davit bar instantly lit up the whole dinghy.

Regards,
Brad
bljones, utchuckd, jimgo and 1 others like this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 06-26-2013

G20 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Attached are some pics of new wood companionway slides I installed yesterday. The original ones were plastic and had cracked in a number of places. They are made out of Sipo and lucky enough for me....cost nothing! My sister owns a wood shop and had some scrapes laying around. They were simple to mill up with all of her equipment.

Total price to me was 45 minutes of time, 5 dollars in stainless hardware and a tiny bit of butyl tape. Works much better than the old ones and they have made the sliding action quite a bit quieter.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-image.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-photo.jpg  
Faster, bljones and dvuyxx like this.
Old 06-26-2013

And here is another! Found out my mast step had rotted (shocker) earlier this season and completed my first epoxy/fiberglass repair.

Total cost in material was about 80 dollars including a 30 dollar quart of high build primer of which I used like an ounce out of. Sorry I don't have any more "in progress" photos but I choose to glass in a 3/8th inch plate of 6061 aluminum vs replacing the wood. The holes going through the deck and plate were drilled oversized and potted so the metal is completely incased. I hope that was an OK decision as that metal isn't coming out now! I don't think 80 bucks is a bad price for a mast step repair.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-1.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-2.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-3.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Did you use a Forstner bit to drill the holes, or was that from a hole saw?
Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Did you use a Forstner bit to drill the holes, or was that from a hole saw?
Yeah, my "exploratory" holes were a bit on the large size. I used a 1/2' forstner, of which I learned not to do as it grabbed terribly at the glass and wanted to pull itself into the hull instantly.

The largest hole was from the old electrical deck connection for the mast light. I have yet to replace the light or the connection, project for another day.
Old 06-26-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
She loved it. We finally got back to the boat at night, earlier this week. I said "Pull the cord." The 7 feet of LED strip under the davit bar instantly lit up the whole dinghy.

Regards,
Brad
well at least you did not ask her to pull your finger!

sounds like a good worthwhile effort. How was the light? I know a lot of times light from an LED is quite directional and that is great for task lighting, but without some sort of diffuser they don't give much spill so do you get much light on the aft deck? I am sure it makes it much more comfortable going up the swim ladder. Now all you need is one of the remote light switches.
Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I found a vendor on eBay who sells cut-offs from large rolls of Sunbrella. I got the tan (wheat) Sunbrella I wanted for $8/yard. So, I'm in the process of making a dodger and bimini for the boat (frames were already there when I bouth the boat), and have some "extra" material, so I decided to do lifeline/pushpit covers. These are pool noodles that have been slit to fit over the rail, then cut to length. The ends have polyester cord sewn in so I can pull them closed (thus hiding the pool noodles) and there is velcro along the entire length of each pad. The pool noodles were $1 each at the dollar store, and I think I used 6 of those ($6). I used somewhere between 1 and 2 yards of material, so we'll call it $16. The Velcro was bought on eBay (it's probably not name-brand Velcro) for about $10 (including shipping), and I used good thread that I got from Sailrite ($9 for the entire spool, which I'm using for the other projects, too). So, for about $40, I have custom-made pads that go all around the cockpit. They make it MUCH more comfortable to lean against the rail than before.

I also made the sail cover as part of this process. That was about 5 yards of material ($40) plus twist-lock connectors ($15) and 2" wide velcro ($10) plus some heavy duty vinyl for chaff protection inside the cover ($15 remnant at Joanne's). So, for about $80, I have a custom-made sail cover.

I need to put something at the aft end of the cover to keep it tighter so it looks nicer...
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.