Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree805Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I need to put something at the aft end of the cover to keep it tighter so it looks nicer...
Nice work... just add some ties to stretch the sail cover back to the (taut) topping lift..eezy peezy lemon squeezy... (as my granddaughter would say )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-26-2013)
Old 06-27-2013

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road

A couple recent low-bucks projects:

I was tired of tying a tarp over the pedestal. The pedestal cover project used about 3/4 yard of Sunbrella I had left over. It was just barely enough for the top piece. For the under side I bought some cheapo outdoor canvas at the local fabric store. The color match isn't perfect, but it's close enough. Cost: about $10.

Last season I removed the suede wheel cover that was disintegrating in a couple places. My daughter and I wrapped the wheel in 300' of paracord. I think the navy coordinates well with the rest of the canvas, and I hope it will stay cleaner than white would. Cost: about $25.

This spring the top of the pedestal cover was beginning to wear through where we grab it. Enter the pieces of suede from the wheel cover that were too good to throw away. It was already perfectly shaped to fit, and the holes made it very easy to sew. Cost: free.

CLucas, Bene505, SloopJonB and 1 others like this.
Old 06-28-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Awesome job on the corded wheel cover.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 06-28-2013

Pcpk is on a distinguished road

Nice
Old 06-28-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Awesome job on the corded wheel cover.
No kidding, great job. Can you show us the knotting techniques?
Old 06-28-2013
No more curry buffets

After months of spending too-damn-much money on projects to post them here, I finally have a low-buck project I can offer.

Among the many upgrades I wished to make to my old Endeavour 32 was a cockpit table. Being even cheaper than BLJones, there was no way I could justify the cost of an Edson or Lewmar teak table, and those starboard plastic ones just don't do it for me. I had read all the threads here about finishing a table with varnish, and here's what I came up with:

Here's a shot of its very early life.

Edit to add: whoops, I just realized that's another piece I made up for stern rail seats. The method is exactly the same, however.

As wide planks of full dimension teak are now worth a kings ransom, I epoxy laminated the table together out of strips of 1x3. The epoxy adhesive was thickened with two parts teak sanding flour to one part colloidal silica, this made a strong glue that comes out just about the right colour. For alignment purposes the strips are joined with biscuits as well. I made one main piece per evening over several evenings. The three main pieces were then sent through a planer, the knives of which they made short order of. Then the main pieces were sanded, and the rest of the detail pieces were epoxied on afterwards using similar methods.

What follows is an awful lot of sanding, filleting joints, more sanding, then 14 or 15 coats of Minwax Spar Urethane, tempered with an awful lot more sanding between coats. The final couple of coats were completely wet sanded to achieve the truest flattest finish I could manage. The wet sanding alone was probably four or five hours. The last coat provides the gloss, with just the lightest wet sand with 2000 grit to knock off any tiny and inevitable dust pimples.

If you look carefully, there are many flaws in the finished product, but most of them will never be noticed by anybody but me. I figure these flaws make it real. I also learned a great deal about this kind of woodworking, something I had never done before.

I started this project in January, and have worked on it as I have had time between my other boat projects this spring. I finished it just an hour ago, and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome, so quickly logged in here to show it off.

So the tally?

About $50 or 60 in teak, a few bucks worth of epoxy and thickener, maybe 15 bucks in various sandpapers, $15 in varnish, $10 in foam brushes, maybe $18 in hardware. I guess I slipped over the $100 threshold.

Well nevermind then. Move along.

So the real cost? If you took my hours invested at my regular billing rate, the table is worth somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6000. Perhaps I should have just bought the damned thing after all. I wouldn't be as proud of a store-bought table, but am I $6000 proud?
miatapaul, bljones, jimgo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Ritchard; 06-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Ritchard, how can you even keep such a POS on your boat? I'll tell you what...since I'm such a nice guy, I'll let you send that one to me, and I'll make sure it stays well out of sight so you don't ever have to see it again. I even promise that, in any pictures I post here, I'll be sure to hide it with charts, plates, and other stuff, too.
Ritchard and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Ritchard, Nice work!!

What did you use for hardware?
Old 06-28-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Richard. I have a friend that works at West Marine and he tought me something about finishing wood projects. He is also a master cabinet maker but retired from that and sold his company. (I think he works at WM for the discounts so he can maintain his 50' motor-sailer, but that is another story.)

Anyway, I always admired his wood finishes and one day asked him how he achieved the look. He also uses the MinWax Spar Urethane instead of Varnish. After finishing his piece with several coats (I think he said 7-8 coats) of gloss product he switches to satin product for the final coat. It knocks down the hard shine but does not effect the "depth" of the finish. The results are amazing.
Old 06-28-2013
No more curry buffets

jsaronson

The hinges can be found here:

Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement

Lee Valley is like a wonderland for woodworking.