Not a Member? 

Like Tree937Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

RHR,

Having carefully studied Tim Lackey's site, I had been considering a last satin coat, but I think I am going to stick with the high gloss for now. I can always do another coat in the winter. I worked on this so much, I have to call it done for now. I want it installed for the Canadian Long Weekend.
Old 06-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I think high gloss looks a lot better on deck than satin. Satin looks better belowdecks than high gloss in most cases.

If you're willing to do the work the best of all below is real hand rubbed - wet sanded high gloss then polished back by hand - it ends up somewhere between high gloss & satin - like a piano.

It's a lot of work.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-28-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
RHR,

Having carefully studied Tim Lackey's site, I had been considering a last satin coat, but I think I am going to stick with the high gloss for now. I can always do another coat in the winter. I worked on this so much, I have to call it done for now. I want it installed for the Canadian Long Weekend.
Ritchard,
I hope it didn't sound like I was saying your high-gloss finish was wrong. Heavens no...it looks great. I've always used high gloss varnish until recently switching to spar urethane. I have yet to use my friends technique, but I will in the future. I really like the thick depth look of multiple coats. I always thought the high gloss was the ideal finish but now I'm digging the satin final coat. I'm going to re-finish my grab rails soon. I'll post up pics when done. Your table looks awesome though. Good job.
RHR
Old 06-28-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Ritchard,
I hope it didn't sound like I was saying your high-gloss finish was wrong. Heavens no...it looks great. I've always used high gloss varnish until recently switching to spar urethane. I have yet to use my friends technique, but I will in the future. I really like the thick depth look of multiple coats. I always thought the high gloss was the ideal finish but now I'm digging the satin final coat. I'm going to re-finish my grab rails soon. I'll post up pics when done. Your table looks awesome though. Good job.
RHR
No worries, I didn't read it as criticism, it was in fact something I had been considering. But I just have to call it done sometime. These pieces have been hanging around underfoot for months, and literally hanging around from the beams in my garage for weeks.
Old 06-28-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No worries, I didn't read it as criticism, it was in fact something I had been considering. But I just have to call it done sometime. These pieces have been hanging around underfoot for months, and literally hanging around from the beams in my garage for weeks.
Ha...I know how that goes. Funny thing though-I can always find what I'm looking for until my wife decides to "straighten things up". She thinks if things are out of sight the shop looks better. She puts things away in dedicated storage bins by category. As an example "electrical" might include black tape, batteries, remote for shop TV, pull chain for ceiling fans, my skil saw, DeWalt battery charger, light bulbs...good thing she is pretty and can cook
Old 06-28-2013

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No kidding, great job. Can you show us the knotting techniques?
Ritchard -- Great job on the table!

The knotting technique for the wheel couldn't be simpler. As you can see from the photos, a series of slip knots creates the braided look. We pulled each knot as tightly as we could (a sailing glove is key) then pushed the wraps together as we went along. When we wrapped the wheel, placing the "braid" along the outside allowed us to put more wraps between each spoke. Later we turned the braid to the front where it is more comfortable for steering.

I played with lots of options, some that I found in books, some that I made up. The great plus with this version that I made up is the spool of cord never has to go around the wheel or be strung through anything. Note that the cord hangs in the same spot in both photos. I hung the spool from the pedestal so the cord would roll off the spool. When the spool was standing on end on the floor, the cord twisted as it came off the spool. The wrap looks much better when the cord doesn't twist.

Last edited by WinterRiver; 06-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Ha...I know how that goes. Funny thing though-I can always find what I'm looking for until my wife decides to "straighten things up". She thinks if things are out of sight the shop looks better. She puts things away in dedicated storage bins by category. As an example "electrical" might include black tape, batteries, remote for shop TV, pull chain for ceiling fans, my skil saw, DeWalt battery charger, light bulbs...good thing she is pretty and can cook
It's an even better thing that she isn't a file clerk.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-29-2013

ggray is on a distinguished road

Ho, ho, just what I've been looking for. No round and round and round.... And looks better to boot.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
Ritchard -- Great job on the table!

The knotting technique for the wheel couldn't be simpler. As you can see from the photos, a series of slip knots creates the braided look. We pulled each knot as tightly as we could (a sailing glove is key) then pushed the wraps together as we went along. When we wrapped the wheel, placing the "braid" along the outside allowed us to put more wraps between each spoke. Later we turned the braid to the front where it is more comfortable for steering.

I played with lots of options, some that I found in books, some that I made up. The great plus with this version that I made up is the spool of cord never has to go around the wheel or be strung through anything. Note that the cord hangs in the same spot in both photos. I hung the spool from the pedestal so the cord would roll off the spool. When the spool was standing on end on the floor, the cord twisted as it came off the spool. The wrap looks much better when the cord doesn't twist.

Old 06-29-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I hate to be a spoil sport, but is there any chance of crevice corrosion under that? I used to lock my wheel with a bungee loop in the slip, and found some signs of crevice corrosion under it after a week or so - and I am in a freshwater river.

I'm sure you're not the first person who has done this, so maybe someone else can chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

I have to crib this a bit in order to qualify for the low buck category. I'm only going to show 10% of the total project. I got ten of these solid bronze opening ports for $60 each. I had to scavenge them from a derelict old cruiser to get them for that price and by the time I was done I already wondered if I had paid too much.

The boat I recently bought has plastic deadlights with brass trim rings outside and teak rings inside. I wanted metal opening ports but even brass ones would have cost several boat bucks - bronze ones like these would have been almost as much as I paid for the whole boat plus they would have to come from New Zealand.

It's taken about a full days work each to remove, clean & polish them. That adds up when there are 10 of them to do. I had to start with 220 sandpaper and go up through 320, 400, 600, 800 & 1200 before I could begin buffing but I'm pretty happy with how they came out and especially the deal I got.

They won't go in until next fall or winter.

Before & after pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-001-2-.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-003.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-001.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-002.jpg  
dvuyxx, Ritchard, jimgo and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.