Low buck projects- Let's see 'em! - Page 79 - SailNet Community
 1063Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #781 of 1413 Old 07-20-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: TN
Posts: 651
Thanks: 41
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
So who else googled marquetry today? I'd never heard of it before. Great work Ryan.
Now you mentioned it, I looked it up now.

Nice pieces out there.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
"When men come to like a sea-life, they are not fit to live on land." - Samuel Johnson
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 1413 Old 07-21-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

thanks for the compliments- my ego is appreciating the shine!

marquetry is really cool- i love the simplicity of it: only using the subtle differences in grain orientation or wood species to create a huge overall effect.

as far as art goes, i can't do it either: i traced a few images of sailboat photos (might be one of your boats), and tweaked it here and there to fit what i needed. basically tracing over the image i drew in pencil with an exacto knife with the wood underneath. finish the cut in the veneer. repeat: a few hundred times!

this guy does some really cool work!

especially the big boat he does for a friend, where you can follow the process he goes through: talk about a great friend to have!
RyanL is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #783 of 1413 Old 07-22-2013
Closet Powerboater
 
MedSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 3,557
Thanks: 256
Thanked 111 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Quack's gonna get jealous (just sayin'...)


PaulinVictoria is going to get jealous! You have an orange boat!

MedSailor

PS Ryan, nice job! I put forward the motion that your work be removed from the low buck project thread, because your labor is worth many, many hundreds of dollars on that!

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MedSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #784 of 1413 Old 07-22-2013
Remember you're a womble
 
PaulinVictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sidney, BC
Posts: 2,122
Thanks: 10
Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Heh, that would look pretty cool. I actually have 2 dinghies at the moment, still deciding what to do, one is a nice little Zodiac which motors fine and is stable, but not great for the mutt with the soft floor and doesn't row at all. The other is a little hardshell dingy, which rows nicely, is stupidly unstable but better for the mutt as he can't puncture it.
I guess I need a mix of both, whether that's a hard floor zodiac, or a fibreglass dingy with more flotation around it. A topic for a different thread I would think. Carry on

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulinVictoria is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #785 of 1413 Old 07-23-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr
 
StormBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

RyanL,

Truly beautiful work! Where do you get the thin wood from? I would love to try my hand at something like that but don't even know where to start..

Yu & Frank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StormBay is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #786 of 1413 Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,456
Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Heh, that would look pretty cool. I actually have 2 dinghies at the moment, still deciding what to do, one is a nice little Zodiac which motors fine and is stable, but not great for the mutt with the soft floor and doesn't row at all. The other is a little hardshell dingy, which rows nicely, is stupidly unstable but better for the mutt as he can't puncture it.
I guess I need a mix of both, whether that's a hard floor zodiac, or a fibreglass dingy with more flotation around it. A topic for a different thread I would think. Carry on
How about a Walker Bay with the optional inflatable tube around it?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #787 of 1413 Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,456
Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
thanks for the compliments- my ego is appreciating the shine!

marquetry is really cool- i love the simplicity of it: only using the subtle differences in grain orientation or wood species to create a huge overall effect.

as far as art goes, i can't do it either: i traced a few images of sailboat photos (might be one of your boats), and tweaked it here and there to fit what i needed. basically tracing over the image i drew in pencil with an exacto knife with the wood underneath. finish the cut in the veneer. repeat: a few hundred times!

this guy does some really cool work!

especially the big boat he does for a friend, where you can follow the process he goes through: talk about a great friend to have!
I have a couple of inherited pieces of Italian marquetry which include mother of pearl inlay. Incredible skill to make but I have never really cared for it. I find in most cases when I look at it I am admiring the skill of the craftsman rather than the beauty of the item.

That said, I have seen a number of boat tables with central inlays - compass roses and so forth - that are really something special. It is very easy for it to get overdone though, in which case it seems akin to the craftsman boasting or simply showing off.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #788 of 1413 Old 07-27-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lake Huron
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I made a bilge pump using my rechargeable drill, a couple old pieces of garden hose, and an small "Drill Pump." The drill pump is self priming and cost about $6 - I already had the drill and hose laying around. I'll try to attach a picture of the pump, if successful you will see the stem on the back of the pump that the drill drives. This thing moves a lot of water fast and you can direct the water anywhere you put the outlet end of the hose.

Could also be used for a little washing up of the boat if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Bilge pump (400x300).jpg  
jeepjeff is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #789 of 1413 Old 07-29-2013
Senior Member
 
rhr1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Heath, TX
Posts: 490
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
I made a bilge pump using my rechargeable drill, a couple old pieces of garden hose, and an small "Drill Pump." The drill pump is self priming and cost about $6 - I already had the drill and hose laying around. I'll try to attach a picture of the pump, if successful you will see the stem on the back of the pump that the drill drives. This thing moves a lot of water fast and you can direct the water anywhere you put the outlet end of the hose.

Could also be used for a little washing up of the boat if desired.
When they say don't use it to pump oils, they mean it! I have personal experience in the matter.
rhr1956 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #790 of 1413 Old 07-29-2013
Member
 
dem45133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 89
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
When they say don't use it to pump oils, they mean it! I have personal experience in the matter.
Why? What are they mfg it from that can't do oil? Can't be much good then.

1980 Seafarer Swiftsure 30
1978 Bayliner Buccaneer 270 (now sold and being restored in FL)
1962 SeaMac 14' Plywood Runabout, mahogany decked, with 1959 Evinrude 35 Big Twin (owned since age 17, I'm now 60)
dem45133 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LEDs afloat GoodOldBoat Good Old Boat 56 12-19-2014 01:23 PM
Low buck bow thruster?? wildcard Gear & Maintenance 53 12-11-2014 04:56 PM
Off-Season Boat Projects Tom Wood Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 01-15-2006 07:00 PM
Basic Thoughts on Tides Jim Sexton Learning to Sail Articles 0 11-17-2003 07:00 PM
Basic Thoughts on Tides Jim Sexton Seamanship Articles 0 11-17-2003 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome