Like Tree786Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
So who else googled marquetry today? I'd never heard of it before. Great work Ryan.
Now you mentioned it, I looked it up now.

Nice pieces out there.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2013

RyanL is on a distinguished road

thanks for the compliments- my ego is appreciating the shine!

marquetry is really cool- i love the simplicity of it: only using the subtle differences in grain orientation or wood species to create a huge overall effect.

as far as art goes, i can't do it either: i traced a few images of sailboat photos (might be one of your boats), and tweaked it here and there to fit what i needed. basically tracing over the image i drew in pencil with an exacto knife with the wood underneath. finish the cut in the veneer. repeat: a few hundred times!

this guy does some really cool work!

especially the big boat he does for a friend, where you can follow the process he goes through: talk about a great friend to have!
Old 07-22-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Quack's gonna get jealous (just sayin'...)

PaulinVictoria is going to get jealous! You have an orange boat!

MedSailor

PS Ryan, nice job! I put forward the motion that your work be removed from the low buck project thread, because your labor is worth many, many hundreds of dollars on that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Heh, that would look pretty cool. I actually have 2 dinghies at the moment, still deciding what to do, one is a nice little Zodiac which motors fine and is stable, but not great for the mutt with the soft floor and doesn't row at all. The other is a little hardshell dingy, which rows nicely, is stupidly unstable but better for the mutt as he can't puncture it.
I guess I need a mix of both, whether that's a hard floor zodiac, or a fibreglass dingy with more flotation around it. A topic for a different thread I would think. Carry on

Old 07-23-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

RyanL,

Truly beautiful work! Where do you get the thin wood from? I would love to try my hand at something like that but don't even know where to start..

Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Heh, that would look pretty cool. I actually have 2 dinghies at the moment, still deciding what to do, one is a nice little Zodiac which motors fine and is stable, but not great for the mutt with the soft floor and doesn't row at all. The other is a little hardshell dingy, which rows nicely, is stupidly unstable but better for the mutt as he can't puncture it.
I guess I need a mix of both, whether that's a hard floor zodiac, or a fibreglass dingy with more flotation around it. A topic for a different thread I would think. Carry on
How about a Walker Bay with the optional inflatable tube around it?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
thanks for the compliments- my ego is appreciating the shine!

marquetry is really cool- i love the simplicity of it: only using the subtle differences in grain orientation or wood species to create a huge overall effect.

as far as art goes, i can't do it either: i traced a few images of sailboat photos (might be one of your boats), and tweaked it here and there to fit what i needed. basically tracing over the image i drew in pencil with an exacto knife with the wood underneath. finish the cut in the veneer. repeat: a few hundred times!

this guy does some really cool work!

especially the big boat he does for a friend, where you can follow the process he goes through: talk about a great friend to have!
I have a couple of inherited pieces of Italian marquetry which include mother of pearl inlay. Incredible skill to make but I have never really cared for it. I find in most cases when I look at it I am admiring the skill of the craftsman rather than the beauty of the item.

That said, I have seen a number of boat tables with central inlays - compass roses and so forth - that are really something special. It is very easy for it to get overdone though, in which case it seems akin to the craftsman boasting or simply showing off.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-27-2013

jeepjeff is on a distinguished road

I made a bilge pump using my rechargeable drill, a couple old pieces of garden hose, and an small "Drill Pump." The drill pump is self priming and cost about $6 - I already had the drill and hose laying around. I'll try to attach a picture of the pump, if successful you will see the stem on the back of the pump that the drill drives. This thing moves a lot of water fast and you can direct the water anywhere you put the outlet end of the hose.

Could also be used for a little washing up of the boat if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-bilge-pump-400x300-.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
I made a bilge pump using my rechargeable drill, a couple old pieces of garden hose, and an small "Drill Pump." The drill pump is self priming and cost about $6 - I already had the drill and hose laying around. I'll try to attach a picture of the pump, if successful you will see the stem on the back of the pump that the drill drives. This thing moves a lot of water fast and you can direct the water anywhere you put the outlet end of the hose.

Could also be used for a little washing up of the boat if desired.
When they say don't use it to pump oils, they mean it! I have personal experience in the matter.
Old 07-29-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
When they say don't use it to pump oils, they mean it! I have personal experience in the matter.
Why? What are they mfg it from that can't do oil? Can't be much good then.