Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree817Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I have seen garden hose used to stand up blocks the same as the balls but narrower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Alex
Do you have something similar for the blocks on tracks? Mine flop over and get kicked walking the side deck.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by STTnBama View Post
Omatako,

That is pretty sweet. I've been thinking of doing something like that but I don't know where I would put the desktop tower.
Sorry for the belated reply, been out sailing

As others have said, a notebook (lap top) is the way to go. But also as others have said on the earlier thread I put the pics on, be aware that heat build-up can impair performance. I had the notebook inside my chart table, set so that the monitor works with the lid closed. It tended to get a little hot. I now have it on a pull-out drawer under the chart table (thin, doesn't get in the way) and it cools a whole lot better.

Understand that most nav software doesn't require a huge amount of computer power so you don't need a rocket ship to make it work. Older style notebooks are available used for next to nothing these days because they don't run the latest stuff. I bought a second notebook from my company (redundant) and have duplicated the one under the chart table and vacuum-wrapped it as a back-up. Cost me $150.

I run with the wireless keyboard and mouse and only have to pull the computer out to start it. Everything else works from the chart table.

Alternately, get one of those little HP small-frame computers that take up very little room. We can buy relatively powerful ones here in NZ used for under $200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-27-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Sorry for the belated reply, been out sailing

As others have said, a notebook (lap top) is the way to go. But also as others have said on the earlier thread I put the pics on, be aware that heat build-up can impair performance. I had the notebook inside my chart table, set so that the monitor works with the lid closed. It tended to get a little hot. I now have it on a pull-out drawer under the chart table (thin, doesn't get in the way) and it cools a whole lot better.
That can definitely be a problem. Most laptops vent air either from the side or the bottom, however, there are some (Macs in particular) that draw fresh air through and around the keyboard so running them closed is NOT a good idea.

I don't know what the electrical requirements are for the small frame systems you mentioned but another option (if you're into Macs) is the Mac Mini. the foot print is about the size of 5 or 6 CD Jewel cases stacked up and it will run on 12V. Just supply the monitor of your choice and bluetooth keyboard/mouse and you're set.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 02-20-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Emergency tiller - Irwin Citation 34

The IC34 we bought has wheel steering and no emergency tiller. So - some measurements, some pictures, about $30 dollars out of pocket and some fun. Now we have an emergency tiller.

See full details at

Rik's Emergency tiller
Old 02-22-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

Just saw this. Most excellent. If you see one a Walmart, please give everyone a heads up. It's not on their website. (And the beige would match perfectly too.)
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-22-2009

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Screen tent

Bene;
I purchased ours at a Walmart in NJ, but my neighbors down in NC wanted them also, once they saw it. The Walmarts down there had them also (obviously). They are in the camping or outdoor area and they are probably seasonal. But my neighbors found a couple of them in the store even over Xmas. So, just go look. It scrunches up into a small plastic bag as its all netting and hardly any material. It has held up really well so far, but only had it for a year.

Old 03-13-2009

broggerp is on a distinguished road
Diesel Maintenance Help

My favorite low-bucks project was re-plumbing my fuel line. I put an outboard-style squeeze bulb in the line as it comes from the tank, then a Y-valve that directs the fuel: 1, to the filter/separator (& on to the engine), or 2, to a ~2 ft. hose with a valve at its end.

By squeezing the bulb, I can easily: 1, prime the fuel system, or 2, run the first batch of (possibly cruddy) diesel out of the system & into a bottle for inspection & disposal. I always drain a few squeezes-worth of diesel before starting the engine after a period of inactivity.
Old 03-19-2009

BaySailerBill is on a distinguished road
Wink

We all know that storage space on any boat is at a minimum, so here's a project that I did this winter.

I call it The Galley Hutch. It's simply a 3.50" deep storage shef behind the stock table on my C-27. The supplies where one 1"x8"x8' piece of oak lumber at a cost of $29. Some stain, glue, staples and varnish that I had in stock.

No thats not my Pink bulkhead, I have the unit attached to the wall in my hottub room until I uncover the boat. It makes a great kiddy table during the Holidays.

So anyway - that's my $29 contribution - Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-c27-007.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-c27-011a.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-c27-014.jpg  
tewlman and JordanCabot like this.
Old 03-19-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Nice work! I like the hanging knee supporting the chart tube shelf.
Old 03-19-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I am very impressed
Quilchena (11-11-2013)