Not a Member? 

Like Tree836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
Why? What are they mfg it from that can't do oil? Can't be much good then.
I said "oil" but should have said "flamable liquids"...but anyway, I used the first pump I had to empty some used motor oil from a drain pan to a one gallon plastic bottle. It pumped about a 1/2 quart and was toast. Notice Label in pic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I said "oil" but should have said "flamable liquids"...but anyway, I used the first pump I had to empty some used motor oil from a drain pan to a one gallon plastic bottle. It pumped about a 1/2 quart and was toast. Notice Label in pic
Well I don't think motor oil is really considered flammable. Yes, it will burn you you really have to try to get it to burn, and I don's see a spark igniting motor oil, and I imagine that is the issue it is warning about, spark and or heat causing problems. The flash point of motor oil is around 450 degrees, so I think it should be OK in a drill powered pump as the pump likely would melt before it started to make the motor oil flamible. The last one I had included plastic tubes to be able to pull motor oil out the dipstick and even included oil change instructions. I used to use them to pump muriatic acid through a boiler heating coil, as we had really hard well water. Had to do it about every 6 months. I could get about two uses before it started leaking. Then I would pitch them and get a new one. I really don't suggest using one for Muriatic acid as it is really nasty.
Old 07-30-2013

jeepjeff is on a distinguished road

Good heads up! I need not worry though because I have an outboard and will only be draining water, and maybe the occasional whoops from using the head in rough weather.....
Old 08-02-2013

RyanL is on a distinguished road

Storm- sorry, was away for a few days. i got the wood from certainlywood.com

i've always admired the work on old pieces of furniture, and really wanted to try it. so, i got the exotic sampler a few years ago, did a small oak leaf inlaid into my kitchen table, and the rest is history. i was amazed at how much veneer i got for $40- there's enough stuff in there to last me years! then, you look at all the pieces they have in the inventory, and it makes we wonder if i've chosen the wrong profession...

i use an exacto knife, some folks use a super fine jigsaw. be sure to get some marquetry tape from Certainly as well- some species of wood easily split/splinter when you cut or handle it. plus, you tape everything together to hold the pieces in place while glueing. it's a specialized gentle tape that doesn't stain or damage the thin veneers.

it's like unwrapping a present when you sand off the tape and see what you've created!
The Following User Says Thank You to RyanL For This Useful Post:
StormBay (08-03-2013)
Old 08-27-2013

trkarl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
I made a bilge pump using my rechargeable drill, a couple old pieces of garden hose, and an small "Drill Pump." The drill pump is self priming and cost about $6 - I already had the drill and hose laying around. I'll try to attach a picture of the pump, if successful you will see the stem on the back of the pump that the drill drives. This thing moves a lot of water fast and you can direct the water anywhere you put the outlet end of the hose.

Could also be used for a little washing up of the boat if desired.
Great idea! I'm off to get one! Would work well as a backup if your batteries went flat.

Plus, I wanted to subscribe to this awesome thread! So many great ideas and talent!
Old 08-28-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I don't think motor oil is really considered flammable. Yes, it will burn you you really have to try to get it to burn, and I don's see a spark igniting motor oil, and I imagine that is the issue it is warning about, spark and or heat causing problems. The flash point of motor oil is around 450 degrees, so I think it should be OK in a drill powered pump as the pump likely would melt before it started to make the motor oil flamible. The last one I had included plastic tubes to be able to pull motor oil out the dipstick and even included oil change instructions. I used to use them to pump muriatic acid through a boiler heating coil, as we had really hard well water. Had to do it about every 6 months. I could get about two uses before it started leaking. Then I would pitch them and get a new one. I really don't suggest using one for Muriatic acid as it is really nasty.
We use small transfer pumps in my industry to transfer oil. Because of the viscosity of oil most pumps fail after a very short period of time. Some failures may be attributed due a reaction between the fluid and the impeller. Jabsco make a transfer pump suitable for this application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 08-30-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

I anchor off and solved my dink from tapping the hull at night and waking me up by threading my painter through a 5 foot piece of pvc tubing before bedtime to hold it off. Works like a charm, no more dingy tap. It`s not my idea. Got it from a magazine, but very effective and quiet.
joyinPNW likes this.
Old 08-31-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of GPS receivers (that were low-bucks in themselves), one is to feed the chartplotter (another low-buck item), and the second feeds the VHF (another low-buck item!). I wanted this level of redundancy, and also it means I don't have to switch on the chartplotter in order to have the position into the radio.
Anyway, rather than buying a rail mount for the two receivers, I made a little mount for them out of some teak ply, not only does it look rather neat, it means no holes drilled in the boat, it uses the existing deck plate and the dorade is fully functional.

Faster and bljones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

A new instrument panel.

I added a tach and built this one for our I-28.

Insturment Panel For Sailnet Slideshow by gfatula | Photobucket

Down
Old 09-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Nice. What was your thinking re: building it up with the "filler" instead of just using a sheet of white plastic?
Faster likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.