Like Tree641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Down, yes, I was thinking of a forward-looking camera. I toyed with the idea of one up on the masthead, but if I could find a protected spot (like near the bow light), down low would make sense.

Hmmmm...now to rethink some of my plans...
I will be looking into it, too. A switch that makes it easy and inexpensive to move between a couple of cameras and deliver the signal at the helm will be crucial. The installation of cameras is simple.

Any and all ideas for a switch will be welcome!

Down
Old 09-27-2013

fred1diver is on a distinguished road

depending on the connectors for the camera, you could possibly use an audio/video switcher, you can get them for different types of connectors and they aren't expensive
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
depending on the connectors for the camera, you could possibly use an audio/video switcher, you can get them for different types of connectors and they aren't expensive
I was thinking something like the old data switched. " A / B " Switches I think they were called. Perhaps an A/B/C... There must be an electric equivalent for video inputs by now?

Down
Old 09-28-2013
dipping my toes in water

captmayhem is on a distinguished road

Cabin hatch running rails, 34 years old and the only love they've seen is a quick wipe with some polyurethane and a pound and a half of 3M 5200 by the looks of them.
Removed the first one today, and it was stuck down in places so hard I had to slice it off with a blade.
Wood is in pretty poor show, I'll strip the old finish, repair the damaged piece and epoxy coat and spar varnish, you won't recognize it I hope,lol
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-2013-09-28-16.44.47.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-2013-09-28-16.45.02.jpg  
i_amcdn likes this.
Old 10-01-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmayhem View Post
Cabin hatch running rails, 34 years old and the only love they've seen is a quick wipe with some polyurethane and a pound and a half of 3M 5200 by the looks of them.
Removed the first one today, and it was stuck down in places so hard I had to slice it off with a blade.
Wood is in pretty poor show, I'll strip the old finish, repair the damaged piece and epoxy coat and spar varnish, you won't recognize it I hope,lol
Mayhem...if you are handy enough to make the repairs, why not just make new pieces? I would think it would easily qualify as a "low buck" project and the outcome would be new instead of "fixed".
Old 10-01-2013
dipping my toes in water

captmayhem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Mayhem...if you are handy enough to make the repairs, why not just make new pieces? I would think it would easily qualify as a "low buck" project and the outcome would be new instead of "fixed".
couple of reasons:
First, why? the wood can be repaired, there's no need for me to add to the decline in quality hardwoods.
Which brings me to quality, the teak I'd find these days, unless I want to pay a premium, really is not very good. This wood, whilst old and grungy, has many years left in it, and has such nice grain, I'd not want to replace it with some bland teak that I'd pay through the nose for.
Time was another factor, even if I had some 2x2 Teak, it would take a while to plane down and set up the dado to make, then, I'd still have to finish them and drill holes etc.
If this was a newer boat I might have gone that route, but she is 34 and is our first boat. The idea was not to put in "too" much until we know if sailing is for all the family and not just me,lol.

I'll upload some pics when I get back later this week, but I repaired the fracture and replaced the broken piece, sanded and gave three coats of west/207 clear.
This week I will wet sand and spar varnish, then it's back on the boat.
Kind of racing against mother nature right now, very happy to be in the warm still, but that won't last and I still have the chain plates to seal up before I cover for winter......
It's all just time, not a lot of money
Old 10-01-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Mayhem...that's a fair enough answer. Have fun with it. ;-)
Old 10-01-2013

fred1diver is on a distinguished road
diy instrument pod

having a small 23' trailer sailer, there isn't much place to install compass, fish finder and my iPhone, and the fact I didn't want to place them on the cabin wall, so I can use them as a seat back, I made this low buck instrument pod, which cost me under 10$ excluding screws, stain and varnish, I already had
very easy to install and to remove
and, I'm working out a bag which will be attached on the back of the pod
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img_2558.jpg   Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-img_2559.jpg  
utchuckd and Minnesail like this.
Old 10-01-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Any pressure washer pump with 3gpm output ,with ceramic plungers makes a good watermaker pump. The 540 GPD membranes fit perfectly in a 2 1/2 inch sch 40 pipe, for a membrane housing.
Composing heads costing hundreds of dollars can be home made for under $50. Sheet blocks can be made for under $2 ,which are far stronger than commercially made ones costing over $30. Just cut the cheeks out of 3/16th aluminium, round them off and put spacers, SS bolts and sheaves in. Sheaves can be cut out of 1/2 inch poly cutting boards with a hole saw, and the groove filed in with a round rasp.
Old 10-01-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

In April 2007 we did a haul out in La Paz Mexico. During that haul I noticed the rudder on our boat had side to side play in the pintle & gudgeons. On our boat they are heavy bronze fitting and I am sure the cost would be very high to replace them. Also, they looked in very good shape, just a bit loose where the pin fits into the cavity.

I shimmed our our pintle and gudgeons using high-density polyethylene or HDPE, better known as the plastic milk cartons are made out of. You can see photos and brief write up in our position report at:
Guenevere's Position Reports April 1, 2007

I bring this up now as I just got back from working on Guenevere in the storage yard. During today’s task, I removed the tiller for refinishing.

With the tiller off, I did a check of how the rudder is and how the shimming has held up. As of now, I can find NO PLAY in the rudder beyond what was there when I did the shimming! So, after thousands of miles, it's still tight and secure but turns/swings easy!

Greg
Andrew65, Ritchard and jimgo like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.