Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree819Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I bought my boat in August and I have been cleaning and fixing 44 years of neglect, I am getting very close to finishing that part of this project and then I will be back to this thread to use a bunch of these low buck mods. Keep up the posts and THANKS to ALL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2013
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Agree with both. Also, be careful that the light doesn't actually shine through a wider, or narrower arc than it should. But, as you said, for a trailer sailer, that won't be in the dark much, probably fine. Great trick for getting lots of lights at a low cost. My house battery has been screaming at me for a few years to try such a mod.
If you lightly sand the LED's with a 600 grit paper it will defuse the directionality of the LED's and they will look more like a regular bulb also sanding wont dim the bulbs only defuse it light
miatapaul and AllThumbs like this.
Old 12-06-2013
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
If you lightly sand the LED's with a 600 grit paper it will defuse the directionality of the LED's and they will look more like a regular bulb also sanding wont dim the bulbs only defuse it light
That's a great idea to try. I need to convert a stern light to LED's yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
Such a great idea, wonder why the manufacturers don't do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-07-2013

differentroads is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
My nice big fenders would pick up a graphite color from the black dock floats, and then transfer it to my hull as they rolled around:

Fender covers are ridiculously expensive, and they just get disgusting looking anyway, so I made my own from old T-shirts:
They do look like the boating equivalent of trailer trash, but they're functional and cheap enough that I'm not reluctant to change them out whenever needed.

Here's "wit and witout" as they say in South Philly:

and for long thin fenders, the legs from stretchy leggings or jogging bottoms do the job nicely.
rikhall and obelisk like this.
Old 12-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by differentroads View Post
and for long thin fenders, the legs from stretchy leggings or jogging bottoms do the job nicely.
Hockey socks from a sports consignment stores work great too!
rikhall likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2013

differentroads is on a distinguished road

My local sail loft quoted £90 ($150) to clean and reproof my 3 piece sprayhood and cockpit tent. And I had pretty grimy sailcover to clean too. So I did a bit of googling and this worked out as the best diy alternative. It took me a long morning to do the whole job
1 soak all the items in a diluted antiseptic solution - Dettol in my case.
2 scrub with a sponge (I wore 2 out, but they were just cheap ones)
3 drip dry then wash with a very mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. I took this stage indoors into the bath, treading them in bare feet, because water from the garden tap was just too damn cold for me!
4 let them drip dry.
5 let them have a final dry in place on the boat. This is the time to also apply the reproofer. I used a commercial canvas reproofing product because I had enough in but next time I'll use a construction industry water repellent like Thompson's Waterseal - far more bangs for your buck! btw, spray can reproofers are wasteful and ineffective - brush in a liquid instead
You'll have to live with the smell of the disinfectant in the canvas for a good while. But at least it makes your boat smell sweet. I often put a squirt into my bilges where water collects from a rainwater leak that I've not cured yet, so Offbeat tends to smell like a hospital most of the time!
I have to admit sending my huge Genoa to be cleaned professionally though. I just couldn't cope with that much wet canvas in the house. So I'm open to ideas for the next time that chore comes around (which is all too often as I keep my boat in the centre of the city and everything gets grimy rather too quickly)
Old 12-07-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Such a great idea, wonder why the manufacturers don't do it.
They have a very narrow beam of light by nature, but they also advertize and price there LEDs based on brightness. I imagine the brightness reads brighter on a meter when it has a narrow beam because more of the light hits the meter sensor. One of the reasons they have so many "cold" lights, as they will rate as brighter on a meter. It is part of the numbers game they play.
Old 12-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by differentroads View Post
My local sail loft quoted £90 ($150) to clean and reproof my 3 piece sprayhood and cockpit tent. And I had pretty grimy sailcover to clean too. So I did a bit of googling and this worked out as the best diy alternative. It took me a long morning to do the whole job
1 soak all the items in a diluted antiseptic solution - Dettol in my case.
2 scrub with a sponge (I wore 2 out, but they were just cheap ones)
3 drip dry then wash with a very mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. I took this stage indoors into the bath, treading them in bare feet, because water from the garden tap was just too damn cold for me!
4 let them drip dry.
5 let them have a final dry in place on the boat. This is the time to also apply the reproofer. I used a commercial canvas reproofing product because I had enough in but next time I'll use a construction industry water repellent like Thompson's Waterseal - far more bangs for your buck! btw, spray can reproofers are wasteful and ineffective - brush in a liquid instead
You'll have to live with the smell of the disinfectant in the canvas for a good while. But at least it makes your boat smell sweet. I often put a squirt into my bilges where water collects from a rainwater leak that I've not cured yet, so Offbeat tends to smell like a hospital most of the time!
I have to admit sending my huge Genoa to be cleaned professionally though. I just couldn't cope with that much wet canvas in the house. So I'm open to ideas for the next time that chore comes around (which is all too often as I keep my boat in the centre of the city and everything gets grimy rather too quickly)
I just had my main cleaned by a pro. It only cost $80 and was well worth it. Getting more years out of stuff that's priced in the 4 figure range is worth spending a few $$ I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-09-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

this really is low buck since the beech lumber was free. I have less then a $100 in hardware including the tail vise slide that was on sale for $55.
More pics here;
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...ml#post1204401

my current "project"!