Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

so.. noticed the other day that the bilge pump hadn't fired on in a while. We haven't had much rain, and I have a fairly deep keel so there's lots of room, but definitely was past the acceptable level.. wired up the spare to clear the space out.. done. Ok so seems there was a rule auto sense in place that had fallen apart.. ok, she's old, I can see/expect it. project that came from it, new bilge pump with a digital sensor wired into 3 position switch.. ON/AUTO/OFF. Thinking about wiring both the primary and backup to the on post, but at the moment I have a digital sensor, working and tested, with a new rule 1000 unit.

Amazon.com: RULE 1000 GPH NON AUTOMATIC SQUARE BILGE PUMP 1-1/8 OUT: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: RULE 1000 GPH NON AUTOMATIC SQUARE BILGE PUMP 1-1/8 OUT: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Attwood Digital Bilge Switch, 12 Volt: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Attwood Digital Bilge Switch, 12 Volt: Sports & Outdoors

some solder/heat-shrink/connectors and 3 sets of waterproof gel caps I scored a box of for $2 at recycle (habitat for humanity hw store)

its semi finished (as in the switch is not mounted atm, because I am remodeling the nav/control area)

which, if I stay on track with will be another <$100 project, lots of scrapping/salvaging and the fact that I am a NERD with a backstock of electronics gear always help keep the costs down. which is nice when it comes time to do something I can't avoid paying the high price of (thinking engine/haul-out stuff)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road

We covered over our cockpit sole with a teak flooring product we got off of amazon. They were 12"x12" plastic interlocking bases with teak strips on top. I had to trim the edges a bit to make them fit. They also sit up off the cockpit sole enough water can run underneath to the drains. We did it because the cockpit sole had broken down and gotten water into the core. We cut the top layer of glass off, replaced the core, and re-glassed it. It was our first glass attempt and was, while solid, BUTT UGLY and had to be covered. This was a cheap, workable floor and removable to clean if necessary. I think under $100 and we had a few tiles leftover to donate to a friend.

And here's what it looked like before after some primer-EAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubrdink For This Useful Post:
slax (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014

Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-1619484_633416373361419_1406786188_n.jpgheh.. second project today, this one completely derrived from this thread.. did 2 x 4"x24" pvc propane holders..

1 - 10'x4" pvc conduit $35
2 - 4" pvc caps $4
2 - 4" cap to female thread $5
2 - 4" threaded plug $4
4 - 6" ring clamps $2
1 - set purple/epoxy combo $12

Total Cost = $81. remaining material = $20 of that... yahhoooowiii.. thanks to this thread. awesomesauce.
bljones likes this.
Old 01-26-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrdink View Post
We covered over our cockpit sole with a teak flooring product we got off of amazon. They were 12"x12" plastic interlocking bases with teak strips on top. I had to trim the edges a bit to make them fit. They also sit up off the cockpit sole enough water can run underneath to the drains. We did it because the cockpit sole had broken down and gotten water into the core. We cut the top layer of glass off, replaced the core, and re-glassed it. It was our first glass attempt and was, while solid, BUTT UGLY and had to be covered. This was a cheap, workable floor and removable to clean if necessary. I think under $100 and we had a few tiles leftover to donate to a friend.

And here's what it looked like before after some primer-EAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
I did the same thing, except I ran them lengthwise and I had to trim them around the tiller base like it looks like you had to do also. Looks great and works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!-140-sole.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

So they've made fuel jerry cans so safe here in the states that they're hard to use.

Around ten years ago or so, they started making the fill spouts so you could flop them over and store them inside the can with a little plug to keep the fuel from leaking. That would be the fuel can on the right with the little yellow stopper. Of course everyone started losing the stoppers, so after a few years, all those fuel cans looked like the one in the middle with a piece of oil absorbant bilge cloth stuffed down the spout. If you hang around commercial fishermen, you'll see these little fire bombs all over the place. So then a couple years ago, they made the fuel spouts even safer. That would be the spout on the left. At his point in their evolution I've about given up. What a pain in the @$$.

Jerry cans missing the plugs are a dime a dozen down here. Some folks throw them away. I'm starting to get quite a collection. So today I took a hunk of UHMW material and chucked in the lathe to see if I could make a new spout. I cut it down to fit under the existing cap. I tried it out today by putting it in and turning the fuel can upside down. No leak. So I'm waiting to see what's the biggest flexible rubber hose that I can hose clamp onto the nipple and then cut the nipple to that size and bore it out. My plan is to carry this nipple and cap and then secure it to existing jerry cans with crumby spouts. I'm going to cut a few round discs to act as plugs for any jerry cans that I acquire with missing plugs. I'm trying to come up with a collection of four matching jerry cans for our extended cruise in a year or two.

Machined preliminary spout waiting for final dimensions for spout hose:
Faster, bljones and slax like this.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 01-27-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2014

nice project.. those jerry cans are getting horrendous.. something decent worth putting cycles into that most sailors, boaters, recreational vehicle, etcc users would love.. an alternative but still approved aftermarket spout.. cause its really really hard to not spill fuel with the new ones. even on the vw, it doesnt catch right to stay open. have to jam it there or hold it.. bah, safer my asssssss
Old 01-28-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
So they've made fuel jerry cans so safe here in the states that they're hard to use.

...So then a couple years ago, they made the fuel spouts even safer. That would be the spout on the left....
FYI, the one on the left has been the subject of several very expensive lawsuits due to faulty design. The spout does not have a flame arrestor, so if you get a spark (or pour it on a fire, which you should NEVER do), the flash will work its way up into the can. So I would be hesitant to call it a safer design.

I have a couple of them, and I find them easy to use because you can release the spout to cut off the flow, resulting in a dripless transfer. But the lack of flame arrestor is always on my mind, and it concerns me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-28-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I kind of like the Molotov can in the middle.
jimgo and Delta-T like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-28-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I ended up going with a 1 inch hose, 2 feet long. That way I can get it in the hole before I tip the can. The hose was tight enough on the nipple that I don't think I'll need a hose clamp

Faster, white74, dvuyxx and 2 others like this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to erps For This Useful Post:
white74 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I ended up going with a 1 inch hose, 2 feet long. That way I can get it in the hole before I tip the can. The hose was tight enough on the nipple that I don't think I'll need a hose clamp...
Is that hose designed to transfer gasoline? There are two things I would be concerned about: #1 is solvent resistance. You don't want to end up dissolving away the hose over time. #2 is conductivity of the hose. If it is a dielectric material, you may find static buildup could cause a flash fire, which could be extremely hazardous, especially since your can lacks a flame arrestor.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)