Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree786Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

In this forum, we've seen big projects on small boats and small projects on big boats- let's see the cheap projects! Show us what you have done on your boat on a budget.
Here's the rules:

1) Gotta be under $100 US, or equivalent currency.

2) You must have done it yourself. Although, if you found someone to work on your boat for less than $100, feel free to post contact info.

3) bonus points will be given for elegance and ingenuity.

Here's one of mine:

I needed a cockpit table. Well, I, personally, didn't need a cockpit table, but the admiral did, and I need a warm place to sleep, so you can see how the stars aligned on this one. I sussed out commercially available, marine priced cockpit tables and promptly gagged. So, I thought to myself, "self, you could make it yourself for a lot less." One problem. Well, four actually. I have limited woodworking skills, limited woodworking tools, and limited time. oh yeah, and I am cheap.
So, I went to plan "c".

I spent some time eyeballing the cockpit in question:

Then I moseyed into action. I bought one of these for $29.99

A frenzy of measuring, remeasuring, cutting, screwing, drinking, varnishing, etc. later, and this is how it finished up:

Let's see yours.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
diginav nautical charts (03-06-2014), titustiger27 (01-12-2014)
Old 12-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm pretty sure that my bridgedeck cost less than $100 in materials. I can't say exactly how much the materials were since the epoxy, fiberglass, and plywood were bought for several different projects, as was the paint, masking tape and other materials used.

The total material were about 1/2 a sheet of 3/4" plywood; enough epoxy and fiberglass to coat said plywood and tie it into the cockpit—approximately four layers on top and three underneath; enough thickened epoxy to fillet the joints and to bed the top section of the bridgedeck; and paint—two coats plus two coats for non-skid.

Oh, yeah, had to buy a new deck fill for the fresh water tank, but that wasn't technically part of the new bridgedeck project IMHO... just ended up on the new bridgedeck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-28-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
It doesn't count unless there is a picture dog.
Old 12-28-2008
midlife crisis member

Nice table bljones. It looks like it belongs.
Old 12-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
AT—

I've posted plenty of photos of the damn bridgedeck...don't see a need to do it again.

BTW, there's a serious problem with that cockpit table.... can't really use it underway, since it goes through the spokes of the wheel... how the hell do you turn the wheel if the table is in place??? So, in my book, he loses major points for that.
oysterman23 and T-Dawg like this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2008

Thanks, thumbs. I was kinda pleased with how the project turned out... and the addition of two more beerholders. One can never have too many beerholders in the cockpit.
Old 12-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
AT—

I've posted plenty of photos of the damn bridgedeck...don't see a need to do it again.

BTW, there's a serious problem with that cockpit table.... can't really use it underway, since it goes through the spokes of the wheel... how the hell do you turn the wheel if the table is in place??? So, in my book, he loses major points for that.
ah, SD, here is where the elegance kicks in- notice that the table is reversible. it can be mounted ahead of the pedestal when underway, and aft of the pedestal when moored. and, unlike typical cockpit tables, the slatted design allows for stemmed wineglasses to be hung between the slats, thereby lessening the possibility of spilled wine.
Old 12-28-2008
midlife crisis member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
AT—

SD, it doubles as an autohelm while underway.
rmeador and Atlas like this.
Old 12-28-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
screen cockpit enclosure

Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'
The Following User Says Thank You to CapnRon47 For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (05-26-2013)
Old 12-28-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
new thruhulls or hoses or things of that sort - lots of them, done on my own of course. LED lights too - I made them myself out of regular light fixtures and LED boards.

not much else though - pretty much any marine item costs more than $100 Like that table - I'd have to make it out of teak and just teak alone is probably right up there in price.