Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
RE: Homemade waterproofing

I'm a systems engineer, not a chemical engineer. I don't know the answer, but homemade stuff like this rarely works out the way we would like. If you really want to carry through with it then common sense tells me to test it with a similar piece of scrap cloth (e.g. from an old winch cover) to see what happens. If you don't happen to have an appropriate scrap of cloth, I'll bet a neighbor does. Offer to share the recipe if it actually works.

DaCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaavik View Post
Has anyone at all experience with the home-made remedy I came across; mixing soy bean oil with 50% turpentine and spraying on? 2 parts oil to 1 part turpentine... There seems to be a general understanding to avoid silicone-based waterproofing with Sunbrella and this would, at least, qualify in that department...

In these recessionary times I am happy to save quite a few $$ by making something, but not entirely sure how destructive this mix may be. I am asking a chemist friend and hope to figure out the science behind the mix and would love to hear if anyone have tried it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bad idea... the soybean oil and turpentine will attract a lot of dirt...and you'll have a pretty nasty mess on your hands. The turpentine may also damage the cloth or the sizing used in the sunbrella fabric. Also, if you rub up against it, it will likely stain your clothes, and it is going to smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaavik View Post
Has anyone at all experience with the home-made remedy I came across; mixing soy bean oil with 50% turpentine and spraying on? 2 parts oil to 1 part turpentine... There seems to be a general understanding to avoid silicone-based waterproofing with Sunbrella and this would, at least, qualify in that department...

In these recessionary times I am happy to save quite a few $$ by making something, but not entirely sure how destructive this mix may be. I am asking a chemist friend and hope to figure out the science behind the mix and would love to hear if anyone have tried it before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I went to a class on sunbrella and they talked of a person who complained of mildew on the sail. They said no matter how many times they water proofed the sail cover the sail still mildewed. We were told the cause was the water proofed sail cover. That the sunbrella used for that is to keep the UV off the sail and that water proofing it only kept the moisture in causing the sail to stay wet. Just passing this along for info. I had no idea how many types and grades sunbrella made. An incredible array of uses
Old 04-16-2009
SY Valkyrja

ohaavik is on a distinguished road
Thanks all. My chemist friend also cautioned against possible oily residue that would trap dirt. Petroleum products appear in a lot of waterproofing media so it may be OK for stitches but I intend to find out.

I have some old sunbrella covers from having had the boat reupholstered a couple months ago. They are a bit worn and have lost water beading ability so I thought I may take one and apply this thing and see how it works. Could be a cheap remedy, or could be a mess.

Fortunately, it rains a lot during the monsoon, so once I get the stuff mixed and applied we should find out quickly how well (or if) it works
Old 04-16-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
The oil shouldn't hurt the cloth, but it may darken over time. If it doesn't dry completely, it will hold dirt. Some natural oils also darken in the sun.
Old 04-16-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
I went to a class on sunbrella and they talked of a person who complained of mildew on the sail. They said no matter how many times they water proofed the sail cover the sail still mildewed. We were told the cause was the water proofed sail cover. That the sunbrella used for that is to keep the UV off the sail and that water proofing it only kept the moisture in causing the sail to stay wet. Just passing this along for info. I had no idea how many types and grades sunbrella made. An incredible array of uses
This is from the application of an incorrect waterproofing treatment and, well, lack of use of his sail..

303 High Tech Fabric Guard does NOT change the breathability of the Sunbrella it only makes the fibers repel water and not absorb it. With no waterproofing or the wrong water proofing or if the fabric is allowed to "wet out" it takes LONGER to dry. When it takes longer to dry or does not breathe mold begins to grow.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard will no exacerbate mold growth beyond any natural occurrence and will actually lessen in on fabric that is wetting out.

I know our Glen Raven rep personally and have had at length discussions about the proper treatments for Sunbrella and 303 is it. Glen Raven has tested just about every product out there and they trust their reputation to 303 HTFG only. They get ZERO return on this other than a good reputation by recommending the right product for their fabric and that is 303 HTFG.

You can cut corners or try otehr products but they do not perform as well as 303 on Sunbrella.

A funny story,

A friend of mine, & fellow CS owner, is the sales manager for Ferrari Fabrics, the makers of Stamoid marine fabrics and the fabric that covers the Denver Airport and most of the sports stadiums in this country and throughout the world. He told me this story at the Maine Boat Builders show a month or so ago.

Ferrari actually makes their own Stamoid cleaner and treatment products. One day they happened to try two products made and sent to them by IMAR the makers of IMAR Strattaglass cleaner. The IMAR products performed so much better than Ferrari's own product they sent the product to the factory for thorough testing.

The bottom line is that Ferrari now has hundreds of cases of their own product, bought and paid for, collecting dust in a warehouse and they now recommend IMAR Staimoid products over their own!! This cost them not only the price of the cases upon cases of unused Staimoid cleaner but also a huge cost to re-print literature and a loss in proffit margin for products which they now make ZERO dollars on..

Sometimes companies recommend products because they are the BEST products for the treatment of it.

I know many will continue to doubt this, and recommend Pledge for dodger glass and Thompson's Water Proofing for Sunbrella, but it's true.

In the case of Staimoid (IMAR products), Strattaglass (IMAR products) and Sunbrella (303 HTFG) none of these manufacturers recommend products they make, own or have any vested of financial interest in.

They recommend them because it will give YOU the BEST performance from a product you paid BIG money for and it will leave them with a solid reputation as a long lasting & time tested product..
Bene505 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-16-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Sunbrella fabric and 303 retreatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Please do not machine wash Sunbrella unless it is the furniture grade. While the web site says it's okay we've found significantly shorter life when machine washing "top" grade Sunbrella. If it's "cushion grade" we've seen no problems with machine washing but ALWAYS use a front loader. The "top" grade or the stuff used for dodgers, bimini's etc. is impregnated with a component that gives it it's waterprrof and stiffness. Machine washing can destroy this. If you need to wash it do it in a kiddy pool with luke warm water and Ivory Snow or Dreft non-detergent laundry soap. Let it soak for a couple of days and the fabric will release the dirt into the bottom of the pool..

You want this - 303 Fabric Guard

NOT THIS - 303 Aerospace Protectant

Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) has tested a slew of products including Scotchbrite, and many others, and ONLY recommends 303 Fabric Guard for use on Sunbrella. They do not own or have any stake in 303 the company and Glen Raven makes zero money off this recommendation except to keep customers happy and the Sunbrella product lasting...
Now there's a new variation of 303 Fabric Guard "with Water Repellant". Does anyone know if that's an improvement over the traditional 303 Fabric Guard?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 07-17-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

For much better results when reapplying 303 Fabric Guard use 303 FABRIC CLEANER. The CLEANER is applied by hand left to soak, so it penetrates .... and then you 'softly scrub', then rinse by putting it a large tub filled with water and slowly agitate by hand. You use 'one cup' of cleaner per gallon of water. Such will clean the fabric and provide a better 'attachment' for later treatment with the 303 Fabric Guard.
Amazon.com: 303 Products 30552 303 Fabric Cleaner 32 Oz: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 Products 30552 303 Fabric Cleaner 32 Oz: Automotive

Last edited by RichH; 07-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Oh look... at the Sunbrella site, a pdf on feeding and care of Sunbrella...

http://www.sunbrella.com/en_us/pdf/c...ops-covers.pdf
jimrafford likes this.
Old 07-17-2014

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

I'll add that I use a sprayer like this when applying:

Amazon.com : Solo 418 1-Liter One-Hand Pressure Sprayer : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Solo 418 1-Liter One-Hand Pressure Sprayer : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I buy the 303 fabric guard in gallon jugs and use that sprayer. I get more consistent application and no hand cramps.
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.