Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-30-2008
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Battery Equalization

Hello All,

In a similar battery thread btrayfors responded:

Q: What can I do to reduce sulfation to a minimum?
A: Keep your batteries fully charged whenever possible, exercise them occasionally, and equalize them every few months.

Seems all good, except I wonder how do you equalize your batteries?

Thank you
michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Some of the new battery chargers, especially for boats, have an equalization setting and it does it automatically.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-30-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
What is equalization? Does it have something to do with having multiple batteries in a bank or multiple banks? We probably all have both, with unequal banks.
Old 12-30-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The term, "equalization", when applied to storage batteries refers to a process whereby you intentially provoke an "over-voltage" charging condition for a fixed period of time. This tends to produce bubbling sufficient to stir up the electrolyte. It helps also to knock loose PbSO4 crystals off the plates, thereby increasing battery capacity previously lost. And, of course, it tends to "equalize" the specific gravity of each individual cell in the battery or battery bank. Hence, it's name.

For a 12V system, an equalization charge is about 15.5-16.0 volts for several hours. Consult your battery manufacturer for specifics. Trojan batteries have a white paper available which provides good information.

Some AGMs can be equalized, too. See the manufacturer's recommendations.

Gelled batteries are not normally equalized, since they are quite voltage sensitive, and high voltage can damage them permanently.

As the previous post said, some modern battery chargers have an equalization cycle, either manual or automatic. Also, some smart regulators, like the Balmar MC-612, have an equalization setting (manual) so you can equalize your batteries using the engine's alternator.

Batteries should be inspected carefully before equalizing to be sure their electrolyte levels are sufficient. If you have HydroCaps, these need to be removed before equalizing. WaterMiser caps can be left in place.

Sensitive electronic equipment should be turned off during the equalization phase, since voltages can be considerably higher than they were designed for.
Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-30-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2008

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Bill's recommendation to see the battery manufacturer's recommendation regarding equalization is really important. Many AGM batteries also should not be equalized.
Old 12-30-2008

lcohan is on a distinguished road
My 6v golf cart batteries should not be equalized, according to the directions.
Old 12-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Icohan ...welcome...are the batteries sealed? If so...they are probably AGM type 6V batteries and most AGM's are not to be equalized.
Old 12-31-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
The True Charge 20+ manual says that it can do equalization and apparently this should be done every couple of months with moderately used flooded batteries. The fun part seems to be that it is a manual process. The cycle should be stopped when "the specific gravity in each sell reaches 1.265 and remains constant at that level". Running the cycle too long can do permanent damage to the batteries. It doesn't say whether each battery should be done separately or if I can do my 3-battery (wired in parallel) house bank can be done as a unit.

I like maintenance as much as the next guy (well, maybe not so much), and maybe if I was a live-aboard I would do this as part of a routine, but as a mostly weekend sailor with maybe two one-week trips per season, this is not going to happen. I don't see myself hanging upside down in my locker checking the specific gravity of 18 cells (24 if I do the starter battery) repeatedly until they remain constant for some unspecified period of time. AGMs here I come.
Old 12-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Joel...you can do the whole bank at once. Just fully charge the batteries first, then EQ them for 6-8 hours with the caps off. You don't have to be overly anal about it contrary to the instructions. Make sure you allow for some ventilation while the process is going on.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget to check the water levels before and after equalization.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.