Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Reycuban...serviced and checked last august is NOT how you check a conventional stuffing box. It must be continually checked and adjusted to insure that you are getting drips from it when in gear and that the packing is not too tight and heating up the shaft. It may also be that the packing used last August was not appropriate. I suspect you will find the resolution in the packing gland. Make sure it is dripping once every 30 seconds or so when the shaft is turning. If not...loosen the nut a bit!
Old 12-31-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Maybe something wraped around the prop??

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2008

reycuban is on a distinguished road
Thanks

No noise at low RPM's only over 1200 RPM's under load. Suspect prop shaft,cutalss bearing,stuffing box should be OK unless was not properly serviced. I think I will stay close to home for the weekned and use engine as little as possible and deal with the noise when my mechanic returns on the 5th. The Keys can wait for a little longer. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Happy and Safe New Year!
By the way the weather is great here in Miami for NY's. High 70's,low humidity,sunny,low 60's at night. Winds are light,but OK for NY's Eve on board.
Old 12-31-2008

reycuban is on a distinguished road
Reply to Camaraderie

Should have mentioned that I have a dripless stuffing box.
Old 12-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
OK...scratch that thought then!
Old 12-31-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I too have a squeal from down below that has been driving me crazy. I have had 3 mechanics come out to find and fix this thing. Two people are required to do the following.
#1. Thrust bearing on the Transmission - Can test this number of ways. Disconnect the shaft from the transmission. This isolates the transmission from the rest of the system. Run the engine in both forward and reverse. If noise is still there it is definitely coming from the engine/transmission. If noise is gone, now the problem can come from a multitude of places.
a. To test the thrust bearing get a piece of 2X4. Find a place next the transmission coupler to be able to pry against the coupler while the engine is turning ( had a stringer next to mine so I was lucky here). With the 2X4 in place, run the engine and put the transmission in forward gear. Hold the 2X4 up against the coupler to put pressure on the thrust bearing while you power up the engine. If you hear a noise it is the thrust bearing. If no noise, next step.
b. Recouple the shaft to the transmission. This technique will only work on an engine that is on soft engine motor mounts. Get a 1" rope about 3 feet long. Loop rope under shaft between packing gland and transmission coupler. Make sure boat is tied down real good at dock. Start engine and put it in forward gear. When you hear the noise/squeal lift up on the rope and move the shaft around. What this test for is the cutlass bearing, shaft rubbing up against the shaft log and packing glad. The noise should change pitch as you move the shaft around. With a pitch change one should be able to determine where it is coming from. If the noise is caused by the shaft rubbing up against the shaft log or packing gland the engine is out of alignment. If the cutlass is bad the noise will shift to very rear of the boat.
C. If noise/squeal hasn't changed pitch things start to get real complicated real fast. Disconnect the shaft again from the transmission. Slide the shaft either forward or back as far as you can. Don scuba gear because you are going to get wet. Now dive the boat and look at the cutlass bearing and where the shaft would be if the prop shaft was in its proper place. What you are looking for here is Calcium build-up. This happens if the boat has been sitting for long period of time between sailing trips. Also look at the cutlass bearing and see if you can see any build up to prevent water flow through the bearing. If there are deposits on the shaft clean it up with 400 emery paper. Check your zinc to make sure it is not too close the cutlass bearing. Water flow could be inhibited if it is. One should have at least 1/2 inch minimum clearance depending on your boat.
If none of the above works good luck because that is where I am at right now with my boat. At a total lose and frustrated.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 12-31-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Have you burped the dripless stuffing box? No need to pay a mechanic to come and do that. If there is air in there it will squeal.
Old 12-31-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Have you burped the dripless stuffing box? No need to pay a mechanic to come and do that. If there is air in there it will squeal.
That's a fact. We had a PSS Dripless seal that squealed. Took me a while to find the source. Burping it took care of the problem.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the dripless stuffing box is in need of burping, isn't it likely that it may be running dry and doesn't that present a scoring risk to the propshaft???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
When the boat was serviced a couple of weeks ago, was it hauled at all? You need to burp the dripless stuffing box after every haul/launch.