120 volt reversed hot and neutral can this cause severe electrolysis - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-02-2009

lmddmc is on a distinguished road
120 volt reversed hot and neutral can this cause severe electrolysis

I was having some issues with electrolysis on my sailboat so I installed a galvanic isolator with a led monitor and turned it on and it said I had no problems with the ground( no leds on ) . so the other day I shut off all my breakers on the boat to replace my leaking water heater I started to remove the wires and they were still hot so I unplugged shoreline . I replaced the
water heater and every thing was fine,but I still wondered why my wiring was hot when I turned off all breakers. I went to the hardware store and purchased a receptacle tester and found my hot and neutral were reversed so I started at the marina plug and guess what the hot and neutral were reversed, so that is fixed. My question is with the hot and neutral reversed at the marina side
would this be causing my electrolysis problem? Thanks Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I would wonder about the power still on after the breaker is off. Its hooked to something. Yeah, I like that tester to check out the marina wiring. If your post was wrong, what else is wrong. I dont know how many electric cords I have pulled out of the water. People just unhook there boat and throw it on the dock hot and expect it to stay there.
Old 01-02-2009

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
I agree with badsanta. If you shut off all the breakers and the system is still hot you have a serious problem. Convential wisdom until recently has always been that galvanic corrosion is a DC problem, but some recent studies have shown that stray AC may also cause it. But worse yet, stray AC will kill you. You need to get this fixed. The marina needs to have their dock system checked out thoroughly. You need to make sure the polarity is correct on your boat. And you need to check out those breakers to see that they are working correctly. One last thing. when you unplug the shore power cord, unplug BOTH ends. Then you know for sure it's dead!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Boating Safety Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Old 01-02-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Don't swim around that ship.
When we move or limbs, we are operating at a few milli-volts.
120 V AC will paralyse you and it will be horrible.
It is the principle of electro-fishing and it is very effective.
Old 01-02-2009

lmddmc is on a distinguished road
I have fixed the the marina shore power and the breakers are working fine and I have checked every plug receptacle and all is ok, I just need to know if that was what was causing my outdrive to be eaten away Thanks Mark
Old 01-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmddmc View Post
I was having some issues with electrolysis on my sailboat so I installed a galvanic isolator with a led monitor and turned it on and it said I had no problems with the ground( no leds on ) . so the other day I shut off all my breakers on the boat to replace my leaking water heater I started to remove the wires and they were still hot so I unplugged shoreline . I replaced the water heater and every thing was fine,but I still wondered why my wiring was hot when I turned off all breakers.
If you've turned off the main shorepower breaker, NONE OF THE AC WIRES, other than the ones between the AC panel and the shore power inlet should be hot.

If any still were hot, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

The MAIN AC PANEL on a boat should have TWO BREAKERS for the shorepower connection—one for hot and one for neutral. If yours doesn't have a double breaker on the SHOREPOWER FEED to the AC PANEL—you need to fix that. The reason for the two breakers is to prevent the boat's internal AC wiring from being energized in the case of a reverse polarity problem on the shorepower post. Not fixing this may get someone killed.

Quote:
I went to the hardware store and purchased a receptacle tester and found my hot and neutral were reversed so I started at the marina plug and guess what the hot and neutral were reversed, so that is fixed. My question is with the hot and neutral reversed at the marina side
would this be causing my electrolysis problem? Thanks Mark
It is possible, but there could also be so many other problems with this electrical system, it can't really be determined from what you've said.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-02-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2009

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
The problem was reversed polarity at the marina receptacle and IMDDMC clearly states in his post that this problem has been fixed. Come-on people read the posts. I will agree with Dawg that the main should be a double pole breaker, disconnecting the neutral and hot when "off".
The elctrolysis is caused through the gound wire so reversing polarity will not effect it.
Old 01-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ebs-

If he had all the breakers on his boat off, and was still getting live AC at the hot water heater, his AC panel design has a serious flaw. The electrolysis issue is far less important IMHO, since that won't generally kill you stone cold dead—a bad AC panel design will.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-02-2009

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Dawg read the 1st post. With reverse polarity at the marina plug his breakers were switching the neutrals so he would still have power on the hots. The only "design flaw" is that he appears to have only a single pole main breaker when it should be a double pole. The reverse polarity problem was repaired and he verified that his receptacles are proplerly wired with the tester. He did not indicate whether the main was a single pole or a double pole but I agreed with you it should be a double pole switching the hot and the neutral.
Salt water marinas are notoriously bad for stray currents and a galvanic isolator is really his solution for that problem.
Old 01-02-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Mark, you indicate your problem is fixed but I suggest you read this Electrolysis as it may prove helpful to you regarding your question about electrolysis.

The simple answer to your only question is yes.

ebs I am having difficulty in understanding how the circuit is being completed if all the breakers are off, even if they are single pole breakers. If the polarity is reversed, then when the breaker is off, the wire acting as the neutral would be open. The only other conductor left would be the ground to carry the current, which in essence would be a direct short causing a breaker to trip someplace. What am I missing? Or do you think the current from the water heater is going to ground in the sea and not using the grounding conductor?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.