Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2009

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road
Problem with water coming up swing keel

I have a 1982 Luger Voyager with the optional center board. It has a decent long shoal draft keel that only draws 3 feet but also has a swing keel that can be lowered with a winch for a 6' draft. With the swing keel up she sails OK but she doesn't point up as well as One would like. The problem is, when sailing up wind into waves with the center board down, water splashes up through where the cable runs especially when heeled over. As a result I don't use the Center board but would like to. Has anyone experienced this problem and any suggestions on how to correct it? I could just cap the pipe where the cable runs but to seal it and still have the cable run freely would be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Is it possible to lenghten the pipe at all? Perhaps adding a little length might reduce the amount of splashing.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-03-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
On my old swing keel portager, I used to just wrap a plastic around it after lowering the keel. Then, after constantly running out of plastic bags, I picked up a rubber stopper that fit the tube and drilled a hole through it and cut a slot, after lowering the keel I'd just slip the stopper on and tap it into the tube.
Planned to take a short length of pipe (bronze from an old plumbing installation) and cutting some neopreme foam to fill it, then mounting that on the tube so it was a no-effort seal. Sold the boat before I did it though.

It doesn't take much to keep the water out, it's normally just splash so anything in the way will keep it out.

Ken.
Old 01-03-2009

Unfortunately the pipe is already right up to the Winch which is positioned just under the Companionway door. How much difference does having the 800lb centerboard down actually make? Same weight just spreads it down an extra 3'. I have also stuffed plastic bags in but never been happy with that.
Old 01-03-2009

I actually have had the splashes hard enough to knock the plastic bag out but that was in a 25 kt wind with big waves.
Old 01-03-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Tr putting a small piece of soft sponge in the hole, It is flexible and will stop the splashes without coming loose so easy.
Old 01-03-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
I'm thinking The rubber stopper might be the best bet.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 01-03-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorvoyager View Post
Unfortunately the pipe is already right up to the Winch which is positioned just under the Companionway door. How much difference does having the 800lb centerboard down actually make? Same weight just spreads it down an extra 3'. I have also stuffed plastic bags in but never been happy with that.
Uh, that's kind of like having your 4-200lb buddies sit on the rail instead of in the cockpit! It would make a little difference.
Old 01-03-2009

Yes it seems to make sence that the keel down would make a real difference but in the real world it isn't that obvious. A little help heading up wind but otherwise... Of course part of it may be that I have 3,500lbs lead in the keel already. and when swung up the center board is still at the very bottom of the keel Sounds like Merc2dogs sugestion of the Rubber stopper might be the best way to go. Can't have the water splashing in as it is in my engine room and goes all over the batteries.
Old 01-03-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

Yes having the deeper keel helps you're upwind performance. Have the weight in the keel extended helps counteract the heel.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--