Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I can see you getting the core in place somewhat BUT i am not seeing the glass work as being that easy
I also see that as being my biggest headache. I'm open to suggestions, I don't believe theres FG on the inside as it is. Looks more like a thick coating of something else. I don't see any fibers in it even where its broken apart.

Edit: I'm planning on using Contourkore as the core material.

Last edited by zz4gta; 01-07-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Start with a small area, just to give yourself a feel for the pleasure, and accomplishment of undertaking of such a gratifying job. Kind of work the kinks out. Then when you are thoroughly coated, covered and bonded to your mess, you can revel in you good fortune that you didn't try the whole thing in one shot. Take lots of before, during, and after photos. Hey a video would be great! Lord know we all need a good laugh! (you poor bugger)

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I plan to start this task next month on my boat. I'll be using balsa core and wanted to get some opinions on bedding hardware and using a liner as outlined in another post here on sailnet. I just want to make sure that a skim layer of FG is not required on the inside for strength. I plan to do the re-core from the inside leaving the outter decks untouched. (I know, I know).

I'll keep updating this post with pictures and progress. Hopefully I can have the repair done with 100sq ft of balsa, and minimal down time.

Here are the steps I have outlined
1. drop the mast and remove hardware
2. strip insides of anything important, vests, gear, etc.
3. start from the companionway and cut sections of deck out working my up to the bow.
4. plug all hardware holes to keep out rainwater, and allow a week to dry.
5. begin cutting and expoxying new balsa in place, same order as it was removed.
6. epoxy over all exposed balsa to seal it. Let it cure.
7. drill new holes and install hardware.
8. cut and install liner.
9. put the stick up.

WAAAY easier said than done. I'm not looking forward to this.

I thought you were planning to circumnavigate Delmarva this coming spring!?

More seriously, would it be at all possible to unbolt the deck and flip it over to do this work? It sounds daunting, but I think it would save you a ton of time in the long run and also yield much better results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-07-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
On my J24 hull core sample from the knot meter the OUTER SKIN is thin and the inner SKIN is about double the thickness

I am unsure how the deck is layed up in terms of skin thickness

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-07-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I thought you were planning to circumnavigate Delmarva this coming spring!?

More seriously, would it be at all possible to unbolt the deck and flip it over to do this work? It sounds daunting, but I think it would save you a ton of time in the long run and also yield much better results.
lol, exactly why I don't want a squishy deck between me and the atlantic. And besides, I tight deadline is always good motivation.

From what I've read, you need to haul the boat for "deck removal", and also make a jig so the FG deck shell doesn't twist in odd directions while you're repairing it. It's also considered to be extremely hard to refit the deck to the hull. Most of the time one or the other has tweaked while they were apart, and now doesn't fit properly.
Old 01-07-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
...from what I've read, you need to haul the boat for "deck removal", and also make a jig so the FG deck shell doesn't twist in odd directions while you're repairing it. It's also considered to be extremely hard to refit the deck to the hull. Most of the time one or the other has tweaked while they were apart, and now doesn't fit properly.
Okay, for some reason I thought you had your boat on a trailer/cradle in your driveway. Regardless, you make some valid points about keeping the hull and deck in the proper shape. I think it could be done (with the boat hauled, of course), but no doubt it would be a major undertaking.

Then again, what you are about to embark on is no picnic. I would really think hard on the advice from Mainesail and others who've tried or seen this tried.

P.S. Also, you might touch base with ArtbyJody. He was facing some serious work on his Catalina 27 but eventually came to a different solution.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 01-07-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 01-07-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
J/24 #140 - Renovation

This guy did it from the outside and it will give you a good look if you have not seen it before

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 01-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
If you really don't want to do this from the top, I'd consider flipping the whole boat! Seriously, it would be easier to glue on or mold new non-skid.
Old 01-07-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I'm still trying to figure out why you are wanting to do twice the work, just to save a can of paint. Are you afraid the deck will look so much better than the topsides that you'll have to paint the whole boat?

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 01-07-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Seriously, ZZ - forget doing it from the inside if it's that extensive. You can ruin the boat.

You'll never get a properly bonded core and deck. This can work for smaller areas, but if you're doing a majority of the boat...forget it.

You need to cut from the top - do it in sections - foredeck, each sidedeck, cabin top, etc.